Lifeline Australia Employee Reviews

Good
Retail (Former Employee) –  Muswellbrook NSW2 October 2019
Nice place to go to with friends and family service is good relaxing good to meet new people nice n tidy and u always have a laughs and wonderful day they welcome you in the front door
Productive and fun workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hervey Bay QLD18 September 2019
Lifeline is such a great environment, with such amazing volunteers. They make everyone feel so welcome and getting a task within your daily work role is super easy.
Pros
Friendly volunteers, happy environment and relaxed environment.
Wonderful place to work, with wonderful people
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Casino NSW16 September 2019
My experience at Lifeline was an amaing one where I got to establish my store the way I wanted it and how I thought a second hand store should look. I had wonderful staff, both paid and volunteers. I tried to use their strengths to give them a wonderful experience each and every time they worked. I made it a fun place to be but we were also very focused on achieving sales etc. I would recommend anyone taking on a volunteer role or a paid position. You would not regret it.
It was a well structured workplace,
Rag Cutter (Former Employee) –  Bundaberg QLD11 September 2019
The job I had at LIFELINE was as a rag cutter at their Rag Cutting facility. The job entailed cutting cloth to a size to be then sold to the public. The cut cloth was then sold to the public to raise money to fund LIFELINE's telephone counselling.
productive and nonprofit organisation
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW4 September 2019
life line is non profit organisation. I learned how to deal with customers, sorting the stocks, billing, team work, the most enjoyable part of the job was making friends.
A bully supervisor and equally bad center worker
Call assistant (Former Employee) –  Paramatta NSW27 July 2019
The call center in Parramatta is staffed by a bully trainer who likes to bullies volunteers and is only there to give an impression of doing good for the company. He is only interested in himself and his Indian colleague who is equally appalling. She is short sighted and demands respect, which she doesn't earn with her righteous attitude.These 2 trainer thrives off each other. The senior Indian supervior is the worst, he drives a Mercedes to work and lavish himself in expensive jewellery and suits. He greatly parades around student volunteers and demands students bow to his twisted philosopy. He is not worthy of working in a vital organisation that looks after vulnerable callers while he sees himself above others. A disappointing working environment. Avoid unless you got plenty of time to tolerate that sort of personnel.
Pros
vulnerable callers has a place to call for help
Cons
The 2 Indian supervisor who sees themselves above everyone else
Enjoyable workplace and great learning support
Crisis Supporter Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Parramatta NSW10 June 2019
As a volunteer, we are encouraged to discuss any issues that arise.
We are there to help distressed callers and service people in crisis.
The skills that we are taught enable's Crisis Supporters to assist in various scenarios and focus on the caller's needs.
The hardest part is when a caller is distressed to the point where it can be challenging to help them stay focus.
Being able to assist a person to the point that they realise there is help out there for them is very fulfilling.
Pros
Professional Development
Cons
some calls can sometimes be upsetting
fabulous learning environment
Volunteer Lifeline Telephone Crisis Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Morwell, Victoria3 April 2019
This was a long time ago - but proved the inspiration for my ongoing career and educational advancement.
Working for lifeline provided a training and practice environment to develop high level counselling skills with a high risk client group.
Pros
wonderfully supported practice opportunity
Cons
a lot of night shift work
Very supportive environment
Crisis Support (Current Employee) –  Smeaton Grange NSW27 March 2019
A shift at Lifeline consists of continuous phone calls and I have learned to use appropriate intervention skills to reach an optimal outcome.

When it gets too stressful, the supervisors are very supportive in reducing the stress by giving us moral support.

The work environment is very positive, and this is necessary given the circumstances in which we are working. Everyone is sopprtive of each other, and we use whatever free time we have to debrief with a co-worker.

The most difficult part of the job is when we are using all the intervention methods we have, and the caller is still uncooperative. It becomes difficult to determine what is appropriate for this caller, but eventually the supervisor and myself reach a unanimous decision on the matter.

The most enjoyable part is that we all get to work together and have a positive attitude towards each other, which makes it very pleasurable to work at Lifeline.
Pros
constant positivity
Cons
Odd hours
met differnt people
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Burleigh Heads QLD20 February 2019
only worked there as a volunteer for 12 months as I was out of work and needed to get back into the work force and I loved working in the shop and using the til and meeting interesting people
Pros
easy work
Cons
stranding on your feet all day
they're okay
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bundaberg QLD20 February 2019
Lifeline is a fun place to work, everyone is usually chipper and happy, willing to help happy to help and fast to help. Was a good time at lifeline i sort of miss it but as they say i need to get paid
Pros
fun place
Cons
always smells of old furniture
management
Support Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Cunnamulla QLD31 January 2019
I would still be at this employment place but the practice and program coordinator that I had was so casual in management style that she was more concerned about taking me to have my eyebrow waxed than talking about strategies to improve stats.
Pros
plenty of training
Cons
limited management direction
Amazing place to volunteer
Lifeline Bookfair Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Canberra ACT18 November 2018
All of the volunteers are extremely friendly and hard working. the book fairs are a great way to bond with new people that you would never have thought to talk to before and you can explore your passion for reading.
Good work envrionment
Telephone Crisis Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Illawarra NSW31 October 2018
Always have support at work. The hours required to work there as a volunteer are fairly unreasonable. Can be quite stressful at times working on the phones.
Pros
work support
Cons
too many mandated hours
It was a very nice place to work.
Volunteer work at Lifeline, Cooroy (Former Employee) –  Cooroy QLD25 September 2018
A typical day at work would involve helping customers, sorting through stock on the shelves as well as out back, taking donations from anyone who would bring something in, and helping to shift things around if necessary.

I learned basic workplace skills, such as working a basic till and handling customers.

The staff managed everything at an adequate level. I can't think of anything to complain about.

The hardest part of the job is probably the occasional need to lift heavy objects.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the supportive nature of the team. They're always smiling and are very nice.
Pros
Lovely co-workers.
Cons
Sometimes involves a bit of heavy lifting.
Self building volunterring opportunity
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD31 July 2018
During my volunteering at lifeline I learnt many valuable skills in styling, casheering and working with problematic customers. Overall the workplace was ok however it there wasn't anything necessarily fun or exciting about it.
All Volunteers
Sales (Current Employee) –  Moe VIC19 July 2018
Great fun and a lot of laughs with a great group of people in the Moe Store. But we only have Volunteers, Mutual Obligation and Work for the Dole personal working for Lifeline, including Store Manager and Coordinators.
Pros
Great People
Cons
No Pay
very friendly environment to work in
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Wyoming NSW4 July 2018
cleaning, pricing items,
supervisors are very fair & nice towards staff
working within team is excellent
hardest part of job is carrying donations inside warehouse
Productive and fulfilling
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD21 June 2018
Productive and fulfilling
I learnt key skills in communication
I didn't deal with management
The hardest part of this job is you're working with people with real problems, it's hard
The most enjoyable is knowing that you have helped someone
A positive, professional, supportive, fun,appreciative place to work.
Volunteer Crisis Hotline & Administration (Current Employee) –  East Perth WA17 April 2018
Actual calls can be quite intense and there is always a supervisor there for support, especially with imminent suicides. Because of the type of work it is one's Self Care is a priority so breaks or debriefs are strongly suggested if needed.
Every call is different and a opportunity to learn from callers. We also have opportunities for ongoing training for our Accreditation requirements as well as Group supervision where we can discuss challenging calls and brainstorm methods and areas for improvement. Also a time for recognition.
The management are very supportive, well trained, experienced, fair and appreciative.
We all work together for the purpose of helping the community while
reducing Suicide and are professional and friendly to callers and each other.
There is much enjoyment and satisfaction through encouraging callers to think of ways they can improve or resolve their issues through enabling them and giving them hope and skills to move forward especially when they are suicidal.
Pros
Family environment, good training and communication, recognition, flexibility and yummie treats.
Cons
No Cons.