lovisa

lovisa Employee Reviews for Stylist

Stylist50 reviews
Australia50 reviews

2.3Work–Life Balance

All the rumours are true!

As a stylist you’re expected to style, serve and pierce customers as well as do replenishment for just slightly over minimum wage. It’s a highly competitive working environment, especially when it comes to KPIs. The process of tracking KPIs is extremely unreliable too. Super micromanaged, especially by upper management. Getting the annual leave you’re entitled to is extremely difficult, you have to constantly chase it up if you want it to be approved, otherwise it’s ignored. Upper management constantly calls the store throughout the day to talk about goals and the store’s progress even though they can see the store’s results from their end. You have to send sign-off photos of basically everything you do in the store. Management randomly visits the store and acts like they’re there to help but instead, watch and listen to everyone and then give feedback on how we should all do basically everything better. It seems as though even if you do what is expected of you to a high standard, they’ll still find something to say to you as ‘feedback’. Overall, it’s too stressful and not worth the pay, wouldn’t recommend.

Pros

50% staff discount, 45 minute lunch breaks, weekly pay

Cons

Pay, management, too many responsibilities, piercings

Fun but lots of changes

It was a super fun work environment and working with customers and coworkers were good but management changes a lot which fluctuates the workspace. Worker benefits were also pretty good.

lovisa insights

Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Fair pay for job
  • General feeling of work happiness

Good

I enjoyed working at Lovisa as I really liked my managers but the hardest part of the job was piercing noses so I only recommend this job to people who can handle a lot of pressure.

If you value yourself don’t even consider applying for this company

This job is only good if u want to make friendships in the shop but be ready coz the regional managers don’t even know what mental health is, they are manipulative, insulting, they don’t care about your availability they will roster you to their liking and many over time that u won’t be paid for and make u do lots of work by yourself and not worth the pay, would put u by yourself in the shop full of customers for hours, with unrealistic budgets and kpi’s and if u don’t make budget they will come after you

Pros

Cons

Bad management, managers are just some children

Hmm

Love that I have learnt the importance of good communication through the lack of, and how to deal with not very nice people. I appreciate all the lovely people in store who I both trained and those who trained me - as training from managers wasn’t really given.

Pros

People you work with

Cons

People you work for

Worst place to work.

The only good thing about working here was the team members- and that's dependent on where you work. Management is horrible, and when you open/close you have to spend your own time on another day to get the keys for the store. Had to do ALL the cash management as a 15 year old, very stressful and too focused on hitting targets rather than mental health of the team. LOWER paying than maccas.

Horrible workplace

The managers are condescending and rude, the pay is awful ($16 an hour part time as an 18yo who’s been there for almost a year), rostering is unorganised and unfair, company is only sales focused and only care about results. I would never recommend working here, I regret it and it was a waste of time.

Fantastic place to work

Lovisa is an amazing company and you adore working for them. The other employees are so kind and all seem to genuinely love the job! The management is fantastic as well

Soul sucking

Normally this sort of job would be fun, styling customers with jewellery, making sure people leave happy. But the amount of micromanagement from higher up is insane, our regional had called us to ask if our floors were mopped, and when we complete any sort of cleaning we have to constantly send store photos up to regional for approval. The pressure from upper management is nightmarish. Not to mention if you fall out of favour with your manager you get treated significantly worse than your other team members, like dirt. There is also rarely ever praise given for big achievements, it really make you feel underappreciated despite doing the best you can. Please for the sake of your self esteem and mental health, don't work here.

Pros

Cool coworkers, styling customers

Cons

Literally everything else, pay is awful for the amount of work you actually do in store, insane micromanagement, unsafe and unsanitary piercing methods and training

terrible

PLS SAVE YOURSELF!do not work here, the regional management is terrible, there is so much pressure for literally teenagers still in high school and all they care about is how many add-ons and piercings you do. I work at lovisa and got yelled at by my regional because I couldn't convince anyone to get a nose piercing, causing me to start crying in front of a store full of customers. The only good thing is the discount and that the rest of the team members a really nice, but that is it!

Pros

good discount and nice team members

Cons

terrible management and no respect at all

11 August 2022
Hi there, thank you for your feedback regarding Management. We take your feedback seriously and will explore this further. Thank you

Jobs at lovisa

Stylist positions
See more jobs

Not worth the trouble

Company hire external managers with no experience so you're expected to train your managers. No one on the team even get offered which makes it difficult to move up as a manager or move up in the company at all. You're mainly working by yourself, the regional managers add unnecessary stress and expect things to be done asap when you also serve customers (by yourself). Pay is not great either. You are considered 'Part time" when it is casual hours.

11 August 2022
Hello, Thank you for providing your feedback. All team are cared for and we’re always aiming for improvement. Thank you for sharing and helping us. Lovisa xx

underpaid , unrealistic expectations

very very very underpaid for the amount of effort and work they expect you to do. The managers set so many unrealistic goals for everyone one to meet. The days can be fun if your working with your friends but literally other than that i cant think of anything else good to say.

Pros

50% discount

Cons

underpaid

11 August 2022
Hi, Its great to hear you enjoyed working with your team! Thank you for sharing all your feedback. Lovisa xx

Stressful

the girls were lovely, head office and management were always on your tail, so many kPIS and targets you had to reach and always dresses a certain way

11 August 2022

Stressful and a fast working environment. Poor salary.

Management was extremely harsh with KPIs and Add Ons, and don't forget about piercings. You do a lot of work, and pay is extremely low for the effort you put in. (eg. if your 18yo you will get $15/hr). They hire you as a part time contract, but treat you like a casual. And minimum hours a week when working there is 3hrs. So on one week you literally can get a 3 hour shift, and in that 3 hour shift, that is your only income for the week. Moreover, the regional manager will base you off favourites, and give less shifts if they don't like you.

Pros

50% discount

Cons

Low salary and harsh management.

11 August 2022

If I could give it a 0 I would. managment sucks, a-lot of favouritism. Rude managers

wasn't that great of a place to work. managers were very money hungry and didn't care about the employees. only good thing was the employee discount.

Pros

employee discount

Competitive and fast-paced, 50% off discount

The store discount was great, met lots of nice people that I worked with regularly. However, very demanding job especially if at school/studying. Lots of expectations, even if very young. Store managers always great. Culture is super competitive, and lots of pressure to reach sales targets/KPI's.

Pros

Store discount, Team members

Cons

Competitive culture and management

Don’t do it.

Just don’t. wait it out. find a better job. thank me later. Nice manager, that’s it. I did 7 hours unpaid overtime in one week, which took my $13 an hour to $8 an hour. Terrible hours, annoying policies, horrible pay, and constant contradictions.

Pros

Cons

all of them

Terrible place to work

Regional managers are horrible, cried twice because of them, so much pressure out on you to basically pressure customers into buying cheap and easily broken jewellery and to getting piercings.

Pros

Sick leave and annual leave. 50% discount

Cons

Pressure to sell add ons, being alone for a lot of the shift, regional managers, pressure to pressure customers into getting piercings

Management sucks or just lacking.

I still work here, but I'm considering quitting. About to hit my 3 year anniversary at Lovisa as a Part Time Stylist. I've stayed at this job because once you learn everything, it's pretty much just going in circles every shift. The most annoying part about this job is the lack of stability and how there's just way too many layers of management. I worked in a store that at one point just didn't have any store managers at all, yet there were so many higher levels of management telling us off for not completing weekly manager tasks. During this time, our store was so disorganised but higher level regional managers didn't really step up to help us out. I also remember a girl being told off last year during winter for wearing a windbreaker, as it wasn't an approved part of clothing, but it's literally freezing cold so idk if they want us to be sick or something instead. So for me, the fact I have to think about every move and potentially having management calling you outside work hours or work days just to lecture you is really annoying and stressful. As for the pay, when I started in my teens, it was real low. As you leave your teens, the rate is better - I'm not sure if I can disclose the rate when your age is 20+ but it's a much less discrepancy to industry averages. Further, you can also potentially be promoted to assistant manager or store manager, but compared to a 20 year old's pay, the rate increase is not worth the additional pressure and stress (the manager rates are flat - regardless of age), so if you're really good and in your teens (somehow available to do full time -

Pros

50% Off Staff Discount. Low pay rate for teens.

Cons

Told off for everything (regardless how small) by management.

wouldn't recommend

The other stylists are amazing to work with and always helpful! It's fun to dress up and work with jewellery. Discount is good too.However, management is super pushy with add-ons for no reason, they force you to tell every customer about every sale in store even though customers find it annoying. They only pay you for 15min to close the store even though it always takes over half an hour. They don't pay you 15min to open the store either. They push you to do piercings even though it's not in job description and tbh the company only cares about head office staff. They don't care much about their retail assistants and will do everything to pay you as little as possible but get you to do the most work. You'll have to do manager tasks but not get paid for it.

Pros

Amazing people to work with and make friends

Cons

Management will exploit you and make you do way more than your job description

Good first job but...

Its a challenging job but good if once you get used to it. Theres heaps of pressure on up selling, sometimes having to tell customers about the same sale TWICE within their time in the store which is annoying for the customer. There is very little on-hand training and most people have to learn procedures as they go.

Pros

You get to dress up and 50% discount

Cons

Poor on-hand training and poor communication

Stylist at lovisa

Estimated salary
$22.73 per hour

Ask a question about working or interviewing at lovisa. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare lovisa with

• lovisa
  • Stylist
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?