Mackay Regional Council
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Mackay Regional Council Employee Reviews

what I have learned about working on a typical day at work,management,,work culture & hardest part of the job i have moto WORK SMART NOT HARD/ WORK SAFE HOME SAFE the most enjoyable part of the job is working with your work mates
Pros
freeTutoring&courses
Cons
general work cease on rainy days
I was liked by all due to my easy, positive, helpful and quiet nature. 7,30 to 4.30pm each day with an hour lunch break - not always taken but great to have it should things need to get done outside of work time. I learned so much since I joined Council - how to name roads, allocating addressing, assist clients with addressing or road name change queries, learned about all Council assets - parks, roads, sewer, water, stormwater and how to maintain them in GIS for internal & external clients to view using an online mapping website - which we maintained. Management was not involved enough. Workplace culture was good and and health and safety was encouraged and constantly promoted. The hardest part of the job was waiting for information or not having enough support from managers - where more staff were needed in certain areas. This would relieve pressure and stress. I enjoyed the challenge of completing tasks, assisting others and being appreciated. It was great to see the information gathered, later applied and being represented on the online mapping website - MiMaps
Pros
Every second Friday was a day off - referred to as an RDO (Rostered day off), uniforms, good leave, long service leave
Cons
The council is like working in a school ground.Its full of uneducated big mouths who wouldn't last a week in a real job.It really is a joke.The amount of money wasted constantly due to mismanagement if crazy.The amount of time it takes to get a job done is shameful. I couldn't believe how bad it is.The whole Workforce needs sacking and start again with people that want to work and actually understand that it's a job and treat it seriously.I left the council as couldn't put up with the shameful way they operate and the other employees I had to work with.Truely a complete circus and absolute joke .
Pros
9 day fortnight
Cons
Working with uneducated bludgers
Worked hard , lot of good blokes to work with , the work covered a lot of different aspects of building work . Hardest part a lot of travelling living away from home
Friendly, upskilling workforce, constructive within the team, professional, jobs done on time, plenty of over time, Maintenance on vehicles was professional.
there is no advancement in this work place, if you try to hard the ones that do not try get all the advances. I do consider my self as the first one in the pool and the last one out
Work life balance and hourly rate were very average in my department.Don't think for a second that council jobs are more stable than others.Managers try hard but the higher you go the more clueless they get.
water networks has a severe work place culture deficiency and has suffered from poor middle and senior management expertise for some years. very frictional work place where silo business units and practices are allowed to exist instead of working as one team
Pros
has some friendly dedicated staff
Cons
hostile work enviroment
Working with the people at MRC was one of the best times ever. the work was varied and abundant. Unfortunately due to family reasons I could not stay, but I would still be there.
mackay regional council is good place to work for as they take family matters seriously, they have a well organised roster with good family hours, having previuosly worked on the sewer crew i found it to be a good job that id gladly take again.
Pros
homelife
Cons
working with poo
Got all our clothes supplied. Boots and all. Great family hours,8 hour days and 9 day fortnight. I oversaw all concrete works also supervised the road maintenance crew. As we maintained all gravel roads in the Mackay region,we also maintained and either repaired or rebuilt drains and courseways.
Pros
Boots and clothing supplied
Cons
Working in very hot conditions
Worked with Health Officers and Environmental Officers. Changed roles a few times, which made it interesting when people were on leave.
Pros
Work was easy and people friendly
Cons
a bit boring at times.
Doing 4 guided tours per day setting up and replenish stock. I learnt a lot about sugar industry and distilling process. The management and co workers are very helpful and ready To assist with a friendly nature. There is no hard part to this work it is very enjoyable . The taste testing and making fairy floss especially the for the Children is the best moments of all.
Pros
Meeting lots of people local and other countries.
Enjoyed working with Mackay Regional Council. Everyone is easy to get along with and throughout my time at Council, I made many friends. Friendly environment and there are many different roles within the organisation that you can apply for.
fun work place with supportive management. not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. decent amount of red tape and politics. but this is expected of a big company.
It was great to learn the different techniques used to fell trees correctly. I also completed a short in house course covering the different types of knots used to guide large sections of trees to the ground from a height.
In a day at the council you would get there 20 minutes before work commences and everyone would discuss what they would be doing for the day and be assigned with a group it was usually something different every now and then. I learned a lot of things while at the council it is a good place for training and tickets. the management was good my bosses were great fellas. some of my co workers were abit different but we all got along and everyone was fairly nice. the hardest part of the job was mostly when we got emergencies and we had to go somewhere and maintain it and keep it safe straight away. the most enjoyable part of the job was at the end of the day you could really tell you made a difference when the roads and concreting was much safer.
Pros
free tickets
Cons
not enough pay
Review tasks, correspondence and other information that was sent in. How to refine time management. was the leader of 6 workers and had to co-ordinate readings and holidays. Co-workers were co-operative and had integrity. The hardest part of the job was the weather and trying to co-ordinate water meter readings to be completed in a timely manner. Seeing the end product and sending out the invoices.
Pros
Lived in the next block and easy to walk to work - exercise
Cons
Weather and hierarchy politics
A typical day at work is quite interesting as no two days are the same. Every day I learn something new. There is great staff and management. The most enjoyable part of the job would be seeing the smiles on peoples faces when you go that little extra to make sure they are 100% satisfied with their purchase.
Pros
Learn new things every day
Cons
12 month contract