MacMahon Employee Reviews

Great opportunities
QC Clerk/Administrator (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA20 September 2018
I was employed for MacMahon Contractors on PACE Project for BHP in Port Headland for the duration of the project, approximately 8 months, on a fly-in/fly-out basis as a QC Clerk/Administrator. I found the company very enjoyable and rewarding to work for.

The hardest part of this job I would say was the head of Port Headland.
Pros
Great opportunities
Cons
Working away from home.
Excellent for Training and Development in Civil Construction Works
Plant Operator/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLD16 October 2018
Great working hours. Family focused and safety first. Great pay for job role and position..This company makes you feel not only as a valued employee, team player, but like a family member.
It was a good place to work until the end
Area Maintenance Superintendent/Workshop Manager (Former Employee) –  QLD2 August 2015
The company was good to work for under old management, work and balance of life was equal. Salary was good and opportunities in the company were also acceptable and you were like a member of a big happy family. Values and culture changed with new upper management and you were then only classed as a number and treated as such. Only reason still not there was made redundant after 8 years. The old CEO was not in-touch with the employees of the company, i think they now have a new CEO, i have put no down the bottom for the old CEO.
Pros
Rent and utilities, car
Cons
Long hours sometimes
Great people and good netball team
Bogger Operator (Former Employee) –  Perth WA12 March 2017
My day would start with a short cross shift hand over with the previous crew. I would write down all the information I would need such as any hazards or extra gear I need to take underground with me. Management would go through the daily targets and any hazards that will be in our work area and also if there were any firing on our shift. Work place culture is very strong and everyone looks out for everyone and help if help is needed. The hardest part of the job is to try and keep everyone on a zero harm frame of mind and the enjoyable part of the job is doing the safe and making sure I leave the job safe for the next person behind me and returning home to my family.
Pros
Being in a good work culture and leading by example
Cons
Long days
Good work ethics and Team work.
Dump Truck, Dozer, Roller, Digger (Former Employee) –  Pilbra3 December 2012
Up at 4am, then pre-start with all safety requirements and how we were gonna stay safe during the day. Ensuring that we all came back to camp the same way we left. Pre-start on machinery and continued our daily duties.
I learn't how to contruct a rail formation. I enjoyed working under good management, who looked after all their workers. Had a good team to work with and who treated me like part of the team. Got along with all my co-workers on the job and at camp.
The hardest part of the job was making sure we completed our the rail project on time.
The most enjoyable part of the job for me was seeing the train go through on the tracks to the mines.
Pros
every second weekend we had a barbeque on the work site.
Positive Safey Culture Driver
Safety & Training Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Renison, Tasmania25 May 2015
I have been involved in mining for many years, I have operated most equipment in the underground environment and some on the surface. I have a very thorough knowledge base of all things safety and training and understand the importance of driving a positive safety culture. I have performed all roles in the safety and training fields and gain enjoyment from the interaction with the employees, I am also responsible for all compliance entry, ICAM investigations and developing and monitoring individual training requirements.
The best part of my daily activities id the interaction with the workforce, mentoring and advising, the hardest part is the increased level of compliance that is required at every level of the organisation.
I like to work with management that listens to you and see's the importance of a good safety culture to the organisation.
Pros
Instilling a good safety culture to the workforce and Zero harm
Cons
Nil as I still enjoy all aspects of my roles
Mining
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Mackay QLD3 April 2018
Great. LEarnt alot. Safety and Communication is key.
Be switched on.
Wake up early, eat bad food, sleep do it again
Made friends for life.
Drove trucks, read books. Travelled
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Perth WA11 May 2015
Enjoyed operating haul trucks. Learned more each day. Got on very well with Management and co-workers. We treated each other as a mining family as you are with each other 12.5hrs every day for 14days.
The hardest part of the job I suppose would be getting up 3am.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when you do a good days work with machinery NOT breaking down.
Pros
Free flights, accommodation and food. Nice Camp
Cons
Very long hours and getting up early in mornings
Mislead
Estimator/ Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sydney12 November 2017
I was offer a position at McMahon ad left a place I was happy at for a better offer and more job safety but after eight month, just before I was going on Holiday (Dec) for a month, was called in the office and made redundant. The company offered me a job even though they must have know that they where going to sell the department I worked for. Had to leave Australia ad every thing behind
Great job prospects with even better benefits
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Perth WA19 October 2017
My typical day at work was intriguing that faced me with new challenges that I was able to overcome comfortably. I new people skills and further advanced my managerial skills as a result of the level of training that I received. The hardest part of my job was controlling the BHP blend however, the most enjoyable was the job satisfaction that I received when a job was completed. Furthermore, the co-workers that I worked with were easy to get along with, were knowledgable and hard working.

Want to know more about MacMahon?

Ask a question
Good Wages and Friendships made.
Blast Crew (Former Employee) –  WA19 May 2015
Early morning rise became easier as the weeks went on. It was a hard manual laboring job. A lot of heavy lifting and walking involved. On average we would have walked 10-16km a day. The hardest part of the job was leaving my family for 2 weeks at a time. It was exciting to be able to work with explosives and learnrd things I would have never learned in the real world. It is very easy for me now to able to work 12 hours a day 7 days a week and not even bother me. During my time as a miner I became a non drinker because I could see what an unhealthy lifestyle it can be, especially when you are also tempted with the offerings of food that a lot of the camps provided. The most enjoyable part of the job is the life long friendships that I have made.
Pros
Wages
Cons
No work/life balance
very productive working crews with great team work.
Experienced shotfirer (Current Employee) –  Christmas Creek 2 W.A28 September 2013
I ensure I remove the right amount of explosive for the days duties to load and stem all holes/mark up new drill patterns if time allows us to do so. I then return all explosives that where not used for the day.

Learning on site is hard as we do not have a trainer allocated for the blast crews so it makes it hard to try to progress.

Some of my co-workers rely on the others to progress where the trainee shotfirers are asking loads of questions of myself and the other shotfirers which shows they are willing to learn what they can
off us. They all work very well as a team which is always good to see.

The hardest part of my days at work are when the engineers change their minds on which products they want to use for loading and when the design has been changed without communicating to the guys on the bench.

the most enjoyable part of my day is when I set myself a target and reach it with the crews appreciation .
Pros
Good money for the job at hand
Great place to work - Still Puts employees first
Site based Safety & Training Superintendant (Former Employee) –  CSA Deeps Cobar NSW & Northparkes E48, Parkes NSW9 June 2015
Fantastic Company to work with. Had a solid emphasis on workplace health & Safety ensuring the team was well catered for at all times.

Good rates of pay, can be demanding but they were usually flexible when needed which is always nice.

Macmahon used good equipment and supplied great PPE, uniforms and tooling to get the job done.

The engineering & Infrastructure unit were also advocates of training personnel, I found this a big positive for team members to upgrade their skills and see flow on benefits through better rates of pay without having to leave the organisation to achieve this.
Macmahon
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Orange NSW14 December 2017
Macmahon were a decent enough company to work for one of the foreman in particular was very good! The job was pretty much underground shift work so it had its moments but we got through it!
great team work and ethics
Truck Operator - FIFO (Former Employee) –  Christmas Creek, QLD26 July 2015
We were all working the same long hours away from our families etc -getting up at 3.30 am to start work or starting work at 4pm for night shift. Generally they were 12-13 hours days/nights/ We al looked out for each other and I am sure our in team care worked well for MacMahon as well as we had the best safety record. During my time with them (5 years) I had no incidents-

My co-workers were friends and workmates all in one and the hardest part is being away from my wife but we worked well at making this work. All in all it was team work all round and being a part of that team was rewarding.
Opportunities to train new starters, FIFO balance, great team
All Rounder (Former Employee) –  Christmas Creek23 January 2015
2 on 1 off roster. 1 week dayshift then 1 week night shift. 12 hour shifts. I learned that I was respected by a number of staff for my grading and operating skills - I was approached to train existing and new crew. Most of the team were great and got along with each other well. Management team was pretty good, new managers came in just before I was made redundant. Sometimes the hardest part of the job is training new crew but it is enjoyable to watch them learn and do the job right after training them.
Pros
Own accommodation. Short flights to site.
Productive work place and close group of mates.
Level 3 Trades Person (Former Employee) –  Cobar, NSW30 June 2013
I really enjoyed working for this company. Everyday was different and I was able to experience and gain knowledge on a job I had never done before. I completed several tickets thanks to this company and the co-workers on this job were fantastic. The hardest part about working away is missing family and friends but it makes it a lot easier if your working with a good bunch of people who work hard and get along together.
Pros
Food and accomodation all provided, flights provided, good roster
good team work
machinery operator (Former Employee) –  solmon rail project & gap 50 coalstream15 August 2012
safe enviroment to work in, unload & load trucks with IT loader eg culverts and 1.5 tonne cement bags, load trucks with material. cleanup excess material from rail formation with frontend loader & roller operator. Learned how to complete task in a safe manner & to complete the appropiate paper work. Positve communication with co-workers and management and also was given the opportunity to work as leading/hand in earthworks . Completed a cert.III in civil construction
Pros
on going training to help upgrade skills. fifo
Cons
plenty of overtime
Nice People
Plant Administrator (Former Employee) –  Perth, Western Australia12 February 2014
A typical day at work would include a variety of duties to maintain administrative support to several departments.
I was able to learn several new software applications which enabled me to carry out my duties efficiently.
Co-workers were friendly and supportive however, I found that the most difficult part of my job was the lack of communication from management and the length of time it took to obtain answers etc.
Nice, new premises with up-to-date facilities and equipment made the job enjoyable
Project Manager was excellent, colleagues fun and hardworking
Site Administrator (Former Employee) –  EAGLEFIELD VIA GLENDEN1 March 2016
The mine site was an excellent site to work for under the Leadership of the Project Manager. Unfortunately the downfall was that head office was located in Perth, and Senior Management were totally out of touch with Queensland Mining Acts and Regulations.
Hardest part of the job was when the Contract was completed and having to say good bye to work colleagues.
Pros
Extremely Safe Site due to Project Manager
Cons
Lack of communication from Head Office