Macquarie University

Macquarie University Employee Reviews

Australia94 reviews

4.3Work–Life Balance

Supportive and fun plavlce to work

I had a very good manager and colleagues the support services are excellent also the location. I enjoyed my stay there and learned a lot. The university is multicultural and values individual strengths.

Extreme stress and tension!

Very busy workplace. Management NEVER allows you to voice youropinion. There is no trust or mutual understanding.Staff are over worked and moral is so low.MU are loosing some very talended and experienced staff due to lack of knowledge from higher up. The higher management needs to change to improve the work-life balance of staff.

good environment, respect to different culture, friendly staff member

good environment, respect to different culture,friendly staff member. beautiful campus. but my position is casual and there is no sick leave or annual leave

Pros

friendly environment, good wages

Cons

casual job

Always at the forefront of technology

Macquarie campus was always busy but also very informative and a major learning curve and advancement of my Audio Video systems skills. The campus was always expanding every year making your workday more challenging plus staying very fit.

A beautiful Campus, great workplace.

I joined Macquarie University on 1989 and retired in 2020.Starting as a single mother and finishing as a Grandmother of five.Always loved working at Macquarie. It was marvellous.

Great Employer, good work opportunities

Good pay, great management. Really enjoyable team. Staff are really accommodating of uni schedule and assignments, very flexible work environment and great hospitality environment

Product and fun

Good work place, friendly colleague. Manager is nice, no chance of promotion as it is very competitive environment. As the work culture is very good, everybody likes to work in the university. The university is very near to the metro or training station, this is very convenience to commute.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Not enough hours as causal

Disorganised processes

Outdated processes in keeping records.Training and support in a new role needs improvement, mentoring for at least 2-3 weeks.Career progression unlikely.Great location, near metro, shopping centre & buses.Great facilities and eateries.Staff discounts on campus and use of facilities are great.

Pros

Great location

Cons

Low salary

It's good but it's pretty rocky right now

A typical day at work involves responding to many emails from various students and staff. Work culture is positive and rewarding. Restructure of the senior leadership is STILL going on since like 2018... hello it's 2021, get it together....

Pros

My boss was nice, but above him it was just politics.

Cons

Too much politics not enough actual work

Project was well organised, lead by very competent staff.

Project was well organized, lead by very competent staff, we all worked long hours to meet deadlines and were well supported, we knew what work to commence manipulating each day.

Pros

Greaat colleagues, hours of work, pay rate, on site cafe

Cons

Long hours and travel time to get there.

amazing first experience with higher ed jobs

Can't really say anything negative. My department manager was amazing, the pay was great, and I made some really amazing friends at Macquarie University. Wish I could have stayed permanently.

Pros

flexible schedule, pay, amazing supervisor, lovely campus

Cons

no cons I can think of

Very busy theatre

From eye list to coronary bypass surgery for 16 theatres. Very busy and fast paced. Management is typically challenging. Food is not that good though.

Pros

Coffee machine in theatre tea toom

Cons

No breaks most of the time

A great fun place to work.

Working at Macquarie University was my first introduction to admin style work. I found the training helpful, instructive and challenging and overall it added much to my skill set. The people and management I worked with were fantastic and super helpful.

Relax and fun environment

A typical day at work is simple as serving customer with the foods and a smile, clean up the place and utensile when work done and get in touch with the team. What I have learned in this environment was the working culture of Australia is different from my country, they are more likely to have work-life balance and relax phenomena while working. The most enjoyable part of this job is the time of working is only from 10am until 5pm and the rest of the time, I can do anything I like or some of them will choose to take another job for more income, but for me I would like to enjoy the time with some friends and family.

Amazing job for the uni

Engage with the learners of tomorrow by representing the university. Work alongside peers from different fields. Connect to people in different ways to guide them to the degree of their dreams. Casual yet professional environment to sell the university experience.

Very political environment

Great location, beautiful campus. Excellent potential, but very poor strategy, communication, and management. A volatile environment as the directions change on a daily basis with a lack of communication.

Good Place to Work

The work place was always lively and busy. There was good collaboration and cooperation among the colleagues. You get to learn a lot and push your own limits in a very fast paced environment.

Pros

Excellent Company Culture and Environment

Cons

Specific Managers need to Improve their Communication Skills

A typical day at Macquarie University is heading into the office and preparing speech / presentation for the group you area presenting too. And travelling around the state to represent the university. You could also be asked to help run and manage some events on campus.

Math Tutor

I was a private math tutor at Macquarie University. I would tutor students twice a week. I learnt how to simplify complex concepts, and to think critically and imaginatively. The most enjoyable part of the job was sharing with students the imaginative beauty of mathematics, and the consequent wonder that comes from understanding it.

Good place to work on your PhD

The university is a chilled out place with lots of good facilities. Its upto you how you manage to make the most of it. A typical day at work is filled with meetings with your peers and/or supervisor on the projects you are working on. I have learned to be patient throughout this process and also to be aware of your weaknesses. The workplace culture is pretty cool and the front office staff is very cooperative.

Student Orientated

Working at Macquarie University was a great opportunity and learning experience. If I had the opportunity again, I would highly consider working at Macquarie.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Macquarie University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Macquarie University with