Macquarie University Employee Reviews

Dynamic and flexible arrangement
Computer Subject Practical Tutor (Former Employee) –  Macquarie University NSW1 December 2016
Dynamic and flexible working arrangement.
Able to work close to the industrial leaders and experts.
Able to learn from the technology lead.
Limited by Federal funding cuts
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  North Ryde NSW1 December 2016
An interesting environment that combines creative and cultural studies. Funding cuts in 2014 and later have cost jobs, especially seessional work.
vibrant hub for research minded people
Researcher (Former Employee) –  North Ryde NSW28 November 2016
MQ is heavily investing in different research areas, which is attracting top-rated researchers. It can be an exciting place to interact with other scientists.
Exciting place to work
Director of Applications and Infrastructure (Current Employee) –  North Ryde NSW13 October 2016
Dynamic organisation with a diverse range of people, technologies and IT challenges. The organisation has numerous IT systems which assist, extend and improve the overall success of the organisation.
Handling tasks with a positive attitude, stimulating the zeal to yield results
Research Student (Current Employee) –  Tomago NSW3 September 2016
I like working in a multicultural environment. I am a hardworking, sociable team player, with result oriented performance, and pay attention to little details. I am a good time manager and I follow instructions carefully.

I am flexible to work in the night and creative in transfer of skills, thus I can perform in many categories of jobs. I appreciate challenges that come with the job, as this creates an opportunity window for me to think critically and develop alternative approaches.

I dislike social and cultural exclusion, and I don't enjoy a job where performance is not appreciated.
Unpaid position but with great team
Unit Representative (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW20 July 2016
Good organisation, great advancement opportunities. Am currently beginning an internship with the program I was in.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Unpaid
Very well run and organised environment
Porter Hotel Services (Current Employee) –  Macquarie Park NSW23 May 2016
Talking to heaps of patients, lots of walking and movement, learned how to get out of my shell more than usual and to speak more confidently.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW9 May 2016
I am always looking forward to go to work to learn more from procedure and to converse with my lovely patients. The management is perfect and supportive to the staff. The hardest part of the job is nurses get busy when we have pre-op patients and the theatre nurse will cal you before the expected time of procedure. The most enjoyable part is when you do the best of your care for the patient and you got a simple "thank you" afterwards. Fulfilling.
Great to start career in University Laboratories with newest technologies
Postdoctoral research fellow (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSW1 February 2016
Good place to work and experience novel developments in technology.
I learned about prototype production for industry.
Pros
Flexible diverse work and various dueties
Cons
Job Security and development
Great team to work with
Research Integrity Administrator (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NSW12 January 2016
Excellent team to work with on a daily basis
Interesting and varied work
Great work/life balance
Fun university environment
Nice environment to work
IT Support Officer (Current Employee) –  NSW10 February 2015
Great experience to work in MQ University. I started as a casual staff working part time. After 6 months, when I finish my master, I started to work full time. Finally I get a permanent position and my level of responsibilities, experience and knowledge increase.
Productive and fun workplace.
Spanish Tutor (Current Employee) –  Sydney8 December 2014
A typical day at work would be in a one to one session with the students to practice the language and help them assess in their academic literacy in skills such as understanding unit requirements, exam preparation, revision, oral presentation kills and writing skills among others.
I learned much more of the system of education in Australia. The management of this program is very organized and effective to see positive results in the students' academic progress. The working environment was vey calm and nice.
The hardest part of the job was that the hours assigned depended on the availability of the students and sometimes they had other activities that did not allow them to have sessions.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the great attitude and respect that I received and gave to my boss and my students and the way classes were so enjoyable.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Depending on students availability to have hours.
Love to work with students.
Senior Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NSW5 December 2014
Research, lecturing, tutoring and marking - these are the daily work. I love to work as an academia, except for the part of marking.
Early Childhood Practicum Advisor-Casual position
Practicum Advisor (Current Employee) –  NSW9 November 2014
There is no such thing as a typical day at work.
I learnt to be independent, flexible and someone who can fit in to any team environment. I communicate with my managers via email and phone.
The hardest part is being an effective prac advisor within the limited time. I meet different types of management and people from a diverse background and also diverse learning abilities. I also learnt to be thorough and investigate issues arising from different view points.
I analyse written work based on tasks and provide a structured feedback to students, that is appropriate to the field.
I enjoy supporting the young educators and seeing that most of the time they could see the theory and knowledge in practice.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Driving between different services
good
mentor (Current Employee) –  11 York Street Sydney NSW 2000 Australia30 October 2014
I am a mentor in Macquarie University City Campus. I train new students and guid student around the campus. I learned to the leadership skill and assistant skill. I got on very well with my co-workers. The hard part of the mentor is I have to guid 5 or 6 student a time. the enjoyable part is I could meet my different person from different countries and i could learn new things.
Pros
have a chance to meet many different countries people
Cons
have to work very hard
Systems Engineer
MS System Engineer (Former Employee) –  nsw24 October 2014
• Provide proactive support / maintenance services for production applications.
• Perform , installation, configuration, and testing of Application / server software,
• Performing system monitoring / performance tuning; troubleshooting system software,
• Administers Active directory manage user access to computing resources
• Perform system administration, application support, troubleshooting, integration
• Manage/ monitor Citrix xen virtual Desktop / servers to ensure maximum uptime
• Maintain Citrix xen virtual Desktop image / policy to ensure citrix xen is up-to-date
• Monitor virtual lab utilization and user access
• Virtual Infrastructure understanding for the delivery of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure
• Management/ Administration of Windows Active Directory Group Policy Management
• working with Helpdesk applications/ change management
• IIS and SSL management / Administration
• Management / Administration of core university application (student management system (amis,) , Research management system (IRIS), Human resources system (HRIS)
I.T. fun
Multiple I.T. related jobs (Former Employee) –  Macquarie Park, NSW17 August 2014
In a typical day at work, I would first be told which field of I.T. i will be working in.

My favourite field of work was working in the field support team where we had to collect a delivery of new table phones and then had to boot the phones and connect them to power points in various different buildings and hospitals.
Pros
got free time everyday to play video games or watch youtube videos
Cons
very long hours, mainly sitting down
Supportive and enthusiastic team from whom I can learn
Clinical Placement, Under supervision of RN (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSW3 April 2014
Supportive team members who is willing to stretch their hands always in need
Pros
Free Snacks
Early Childhood Teacher/Second In Charge
Early Childhood Teacher and Second In Charge (Current Employee) –  Sydney21 March 2014
At this time I am the Room leader of the pre school room in a long day care centre. Over the past seven years I have worked with all age groups under five years, and have a particularly passion for the pre toddler/toddler age groups. I am passionate about education and strongly believe that an interest based program delivers results in how much information children retain. I thoroughly enjoy teaching and working with the child as an individual as well as part of the family unit.
One of the struggles of this job is balancing my responsibilities of a teacher with that of second in charge at the service. This being said, I love the growth that the second in charge position has given me as I have learnt how to manage staff, pays, leave and implement new systems.
Throughout my time at this service, I have learnt that I would like to work closely with individual family groups to improve their quality of life. I am in the process of developing a new small business which will give me the opportunity to offer my skills on a more private level and am now looking for families who are interested in feedback about their routines, behaviour management ext to begin the process.
Pros
Great team of professional and supportive co workers
Cons
Balancing my two positions effectively
Stable workplace
STUDENT ADMISSIONS ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSW13 March 2014
- Performing administrational and secretarial duties
- Creating and modifying student study package
- Testing database, including replanning and re-parenting
- Providing student services and assistance
Pros
High pay
Cons
Repetitive work