McDonald's

Australia8,773 reviews

3.4Work–Life Balance

Found 8,773 reviews matching the searchSee all 215,715 reviews

Pretty good

Started working there somewhere mid this year got pretty decent pay and discount is pretty good as well just my family doesn't like maccas all that much

people are cool, management, owner and customers dont care about you

don't you'll regret it, people don't care about you working in a tight workspace (depending on what store you're at) gets hot really quickly working around the back. You'll get burnt very easily and managers tell you to suck it up and tell you to do stuff they don't want to do

Pros

flexible working hours

Cons

managers are breathing down your neck and no one cares about you

Good management. Good team

I really enjoyed my time working at McDonalds. I had a great team and great management. I felt very supported and training was very thorough. Of course it's a minimum wage job, however I really enjoyed working there.

Pros

50% off food during shift

Cons

Overnight shifts

Productive and fun workplace

Good and enjoyable place to work, really improved my communicative and concentrations skills. Highly recommend for the people who is seeking first workplace in Australia

Not awful but nothing special

There wasn’t really anything special about this job. It could be better but could be a lot worse particularly for fast food.

bad workplace

if your young you’ll be used and abused and made to the hard works that no one else wants to do eg, clean toilets and take out the bins. horrible pay for what you have to deal with.

Horrible workplace

This place does not care about your personal life and would rather you work when your extremely ill then be down a shift. I worked for them for many years and they treated everyone horribly.

Fast paced & entertaining

As you can imagine it is fast paced, there’s always something to do, you’ll never get bored. The crew is usually good except for the odd few. The managers are amazing! The pay is alright if you’re casual, but it’s stressful work. Peak times are like a tornado hit the store with machines breaking, fries all over the floor, people pacing around, orders being chucked around and you can’t even have a second to grab a drink. Overall a good learning experience but not a long term employment environment.

Some co-workers or managers can be problematic, and the job isn't for everyone

In my brief period working at McDonalds, I met some friendly, supportive people. However, I had one manager who was frustrating at times, and was the main reason I left the position. The work you perform there isn't for everyone, and I found I did not like it. However, I knew people who worked there that enjoyed it. I wouldn't recommend a job here unless you can't get a job anywhere else.

Pros

No prior skills or training required, easy job to get and keep

Cons

low pay, frustrating co-workers or managers

Overworked and underpaid

Poor management who dont care about their staff. They overwork you and put a massive workload on you. Refuse to staff properly and only cared about the timers. Mostly stayed for the friends

Horrible, never work here.

Been working there for two years and I finally quit because I was fed up with the way the managers treated the staff. For your first job it's decent but try not to stay there longer than a year. Being there has messed my mental health up so much that I've had to get therapy because of the awful treatment I've been through. Also, if you want to book days off, don't. There's no point. They will still roster you on even if you put in an availability request two months in advance, so it's easier to not waste time booking days off and instead just call in sick on the days you're not available.For your own mental health and safety, don't work there.

It's what you make of it - don't apply with a bad mindset.

Starting off, I had a bad mindset working there. Every shift was slow, I wasnt having any fun at all. However once I changed up my greeting at drive thru, the customers started complimenting me, and my mindset completely changed. After that, I was having a wonderful time at every shift. The managers (at least at the store I work at) are great, however I never had to deal with corporate. Expect randomness with where you will work each shift, and have fun

Ok

I don’t really like the job itself but I do like the people I get to meet while working there. That’s the beat part and a motivation to keep on working

Good experience for a first job

Working at McDonald's is valuable for learning skills that you can apply at future jobs. It is fast paced and requires skill, however they are flexible with working hours.

I hadn't been so stressed and scared in many years

I cannot recommend this job less. The only good thing I got out of this job was my weekly pay. I was promised at least two weeks of supervised training, but I was given three 4 hour shifts of training, then was pushed onto the shop floor not knowing what to do. I told my manager I didn't know what I'm supposed to do - since it was my second week of work, and my first shift out of training - and they got angry at me and yelled at me in front of customers waiting to order. I was also badly burned during one of my shifts and was given very little care. I still have a very visible scar a year later. My co-workers also made very inappropriate comments about me. I ended every single shift crying from the stress and overstimulation. I couldn't even bring myself to go into the shop itself to quit, I quit over the phone I haven't gone back since, and I never will.

High demand, bad pay

Overworking kids for a pay rate of only around $10 an hour. The manager was not great and always found stuff to shout at us about. Work is long and stressful and you feel disgusting at the end of the day if stuck on the fries area for the whole shift.

Fun and good experience

Made friends for life, and learnt what hard work really is. The training was second to none. It made me ready for real world experiences and I’m grateful.

Nice workplace

The managers at my workplace were really nice and helpful, training was sufficient, and I made some good friends. As a student I liked how shifts lasted 3-4 hours after school, but this was annoying on weekends

Stressful with bad pay

During my time at working at McDonald's it was always busy but in the worst kind of way. You were constantly doing something but it was always mind numbing monotonous tasks that requires no thought to do.

Pros

Benefits at other stores

Cons

Bad pay

Busy, fast-paced environment

Working at McDonalds was a fairly good first job experience, it helped me develop better soft-skills, e.g., communication, teamwork, etc. Making the food isn't difficult, but you just need to be quick and mindful of usage/stock. Furthermore, frequently moving between hot and cold environments within the kitchen/front area admittedly does take a toll on your body. I mostly had good managers, though at times I had a bit of friction with them. In terms of workplace culture, it's quite laidback apart from busy hours, during which the pressure to perform quickly and accurately increases.

Pros

Employee discount for meals

Cons

Limited hours, training wasn't very helpful

Good friends, tiring job

Hard to leave because of the crew, but higher management make it difficult. Job is tiring, boss don’t care if you have no crew, still have to push timers or get yelled at.

Compare McDonald's with

• McDonald's
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?