McDonald's

Brisbane QLD244 reviews

3.4Work–Life Balance

Found 244 reviews matching the searchSee all 217,530 reviews

Good first job

McDonald's helped me build up skills and basic workplace tools however management is typically a mess, most on power trips and the drama and chaos is ridiculous.

Pros

decent pay, good first job

Cons

management

Fairly casual working environment with nice people

Although it gets busy and stressful during rushes, when it's not too busy there's plenty of room for chats and banter. The job itself isn't too difficult once you memorise the burgers and get fast enough at grill and fry, and our Bluetooth speaker stops things from getting too monotonous. Most of the managers are fairly laid back and don't mind us having a bit of fun as long as we get our jobs done. People like to say the pay is garbage but at $14 an hour for 16 - 17 years old it's alright, with 1.25 and 1.5 multipliers on Saturday and Sunday respectively.

Pros

20% discount anywhere, 50% at own store; casual working environment

Cons

Not paid for meal breaks which might be borderline illegal

Horrible

If you want a job with a cruel and uncomfortable environment than this job is perfect for you. The managers were quite negative and continuously yelling if you enjoy calm environments this job isn’t for you,

Fun

Such a fun unique understanding work environment! Fast pace and always on the go! No days are ever the same. It’s sucks when the icecream machine breaks.

Pretty Good

Good for a first job, nice employees, fast paced environment, great to build up your customer service confidence, some rude customers but nothing out of the norm, pretty average and good first job.

Pros

fun environment

Cons

night shifts

Super amazing management but very stressful job, super fast-paced

Manager was a god-sent, super supportive and understanding of all employees. Most other staff who worked when I did were impatient, rude and cliquey. Got mad if I was confused about any of the duties even though I had only been there a short time and often yelled at me. Insanely stressful job, the worst I have had. I constantly felt panicked and distressed at work, manager did her best to support me but overall just not suitable for anyone who isn't calm and able to work under pressure. Good pay though

Pros

Good pay, Supportive management

Cons

Under a lot of pressure, super fast-paced, rude co workers

Good environment with mainly good crew, but terrible management

Most of the time working at McDonald's was pretty fun, however management pays no attention to how hard the employees work in order to keep the store in good condition. Crew are barely recognised for doing a good job, managers are basically just using them for competitions with other stores and for keeping the speed up.

Fast paced, team oriented job

Involves lots of customer service skills and ability to communicate. Lots of opportunities to advance in different areas and transition into higher positions (trainer/ management).

It did the job

The job was okay for a first-time job like it taught the necessary skills that would be required at any job but definitely would not recommend to stay there long term

Flexible hours, good first job

Good training and hours for school/uni students. The quality of job depends on the managers and crew, however most that I have had are good :). Hardest part of job is talking to customers because many treat you like garbage over things that are out of your control. Also if you don't work well under stress, you are constantly timed by how quickly you hand orders out. The most enjoyable part (at least for me) is cleaning café at night as you don't have to deal with the customer's shenanigans.

It was good work, but the crew made it difficult sometimes

A typical day at work consisted of cleaning the dining room, taking out the bins, taking orders on the front register, helping customers with the kiosks, packing orders (including uber orders) etc. I learned to balance my time and move fast; however, there was a lot of prejudice from older work colleagues as they looked down upon younger employees. I made friendships; however, the crew were quite nasty towards me. This isn't every store, but it was my experience. I did love some of the banter and customer relationships I grew over the time I worked there.

Just horrible. Bad management, decent staff and miserable workplace

This McDonald’s has staff that work better, faster and more effectively than the managers that do nothing and don’t even know how to help you at times when needed (in training or not) I don’t know if this is just the McDonald’s I work at but the managers talk horribly down toward the staff even if they are young, in training and are just asking a question!! Which me and many others I have seen have been through. The worst thing about this is that the only people that they don’t talk down to is the people that are sucking up to them and choose to talk to them instead of doing work. I do not recommend this job to anybody that wants to stay happy. I regret my choice of this for my first job greatly.

Fast Paced

always busy and fast-paced. theres no time where you have nothing to do during your shift. the distribution of work is done well between staff and overall good management.

good management, friendly staff, just overworked and underpaid

good management and friendly staff but are taken advantage of being available a lot, since if you aren't they barely give you any shifts. sometimes managers can be a little rude but are mostly helpful. the training is decent but after you mostly have to figure out stuff for yourself and you get a lot of rude feedback from other employees if you stuff up, when you aren't sure how to do something

Pros

good discount, friendly staff, decent training

Cons

long hours, not great pay, lots of pressure to work quickly

Great environment

Fast paced, crazy customers but also good customers. Great place to start off. Loved it so much. Some employees are annoyibg house but you ignore those

difficult/not enjoyable job but with good management and good co workers

This job is ok. Most of the time it is not enjoyable and difficult but there are times when it can be ok. I work in the back area cooking meat on the grill and cooking chicken in the fryers. doing one of these stations at a time is fine but there will be shifts where you will be working both stations. This can be stressful especially when its really busy and you struggle to work both stations well at the same time. they should be paying you more if you are running 2 different stations or they could just roster an extra person. Its a messy job and can get very frustrating. There will be times where you will get asked to do something you haven't done since training but they still expect you to know how to do it which is stupid in my opinion. Management is good but i think there are around 10 managers at my store alone so it can be hard to remember whos who. Most of them are young and friendly so its easy to talk to them. One bad thing about management is sometimes they will ask you to do something when clearly you're really busy but they still want you to do the job. How many shifts you get depends on how many you ask for and as long as you are decent at the job you will get shifts. Occasinally you will get rostered on days or times you set as not available but that's mostly an easy fix. The majority of other co workers are young so its easy to relate and talk to them. The work/life balance for me was fine and i never had any issues with it. The salary is $19 an hour and the staff discount is 20% off your order but you can only use it on orders totally a maximum of $20 and -

Helps develop work experience and will help in future job seeking.

It is a fast paced work space be prepared and ready and always ready to learn new things. There will be many people to help you through your work and the work space is very supportive.

Stressful environment

Be prepared to be worked like a dog and not issued for it. Used to lose sleep stressing over having work the next day. Overall could never relax even on days off.

The people make the job

Despite the general view of working in fast food, it can be great working at a McDonald's restaurant purely for the people that you work with. Customers can make you irate at times, but if you have a solid team to work with (especially managers who understand the needs of their crew) it is a lot easier to deal with.

Pros

Discounted food, crew outings

Cons

Customers

Alright workplace

It’s alright short term if not considering to work way up however long term can be detrimental to mental health as can be a very stressful environment for amount we earn

It’s okay

Be prepared to get abused by customers. If you have anger issues this is not the job for you. It’s fast paced and most of the time you will be expected to meet standards for drive thru times etc. You do get 50% off food yay. And hours and flexibility is great. Maccas is great for meeting new friends :)

Pros

50% off food

Cons

Will get abused by customers on the daily

Compare McDonald's with