McDonald's

Australia3,305 reviews

3.4Work–Life Balance

Found 3,305 reviews matching the searchSee all 215,544 reviews

Fast paced & entertaining

As you can imagine it is fast paced, there’s always something to do, you’ll never get bored. The crew is usually good except for the odd few. The managers are amazing! The pay is alright if you’re casual, but it’s stressful work. Peak times are like a tornado hit the store with machines breaking, fries all over the floor, people pacing around, orders being chucked around and you can’t even have a second to grab a drink. Overall a good learning experience but not a long term employment environment.

bad workplace

if your young you’ll be used and abused and made to the hard works that no one else wants to do eg, clean toilets and take out the bins. horrible pay for what you have to deal with.

Good experience for a first job

Working at McDonald's is valuable for learning skills that you can apply at future jobs. It is fast paced and requires skill, however they are flexible with working hours.

Fun and good experience

Made friends for life, and learnt what hard work really is. The training was second to none. It made me ready for real world experiences and I’m grateful.

Nice workplace

The managers at my workplace were really nice and helpful, training was sufficient, and I made some good friends. As a student I liked how shifts lasted 3-4 hours after school, but this was annoying on weekends

Unprofessional work environment run by managers who are too young and immature

Working there is fun and aside from the managers, the crew are all super friendly and easy to get along with. However, managers are super toxic and unprofessional, which leads to and creates a bad working environment. They show favouritism and are too immature to be managers. They also don't give shifts to older people, because they don't want to pay them more.

Pros

Job opportunities

Cons

Stressful, Time sensitive

useful, but stressful, experience for a first job

I have felt that working at Mcdonald's is good as first job as in it teaches you valuable life lessons. However the little pay you get barely compensates for the daily stress you have to go through along with the abuse that customers give you. Coworkers are often very friendly and bond over the funny situations with customers. Advancing in your career is usually pretty easy as long as you stay for a long time, however I would not recommend this if you want to keep your sanity.

Good culture, but sometimes to busy

Reasonable pay for the job, especially after exceeding age twenty. The role can become very stressful when understaffed and during rush periods, although management is usually more than happy to help crew.

Pros

Good chance to practice english

Cons

stressful,working in fast peace environment

Okay staff, deteriorating management

Pretty standard for a fast food job however glad I left when I did as management was getting fairly overworked and understaffed. Little training is provided other than initial training.

Fun casual workplace

My time at mcdonalds was honestly really fun. Of course it's hard work but once you get into a groove the work is really easy and and lighthearted. Mcdonalds is also perfect as a first job. I worked there about 3 months when I first entered Australia and couldn't land any jobs due to my lack of experience. Other employers recognised my time at mcdonalds and I was able to enter an entry level position for a government contractor. My mcdonalds experience definitely helped me gain an understanding of professionalism and how my brain works in order for me to complete work in the most efficient way throughout my career. My only real complaint about the job is how much my feet would hurt after a long shift but that's no error on the company, thats more just the nature of hospo.

Great staff and a friendly environment

The people at McDonald’s are inclusive and create a sense of family. Thou I wouldn’t suggest it to someone with little resilience. Management ranges but over all pretty inviting.

Fast paced and always a lot of jobs to be completed

Generally a fast paced environment weather serving or in kitchen. High level of co-ordination needed, good communicatoon and the ability to handle fast and stressful situations. Need to be able to work well with others and independently if needed. Need to be able to withstand hot temperatures all year around, especially in summer. Pay is average for the level of work you do.

Pros

Staff discounts

Cons

Short staffing occurs often, hot temperatures. Greasy skin, hair & cloths etc

Lack of training

I quit after 4 shifts and I'll tell you why. While the manager who interviewed me was nice, I found that the customers weren't the problem, it was actually the people who worked there. After reading about how McDonald's have an extensive training program I was excited to learn. After all, they have special uniforms that say "crew trainer". I just assumed I'd be getting the best of the best. Boy, was I wrong. I didn't get trained properly. Everyone was doing their own thing and anytime I asked for help, which was all the time, I felt like I was just annoying them. Also, I'm all about rules, hence why I wanted to be a cop. It states that no one is allowed in the managers office and yet when I was there, there were at least 4 crew members sitting in there having a good chat. I liked a few of the workers because they were willing to help whenever I needed it. As for the rest, don't hold your breath. As someone who has worked in customer service before, McDonald's is one place I will avoid from now on.

Fun crew and management

It was a fun job if your looking for an easy job. The task was easy and understandable but it gets repetitive at times and very stressful when understaffed and during rushes

Not a bad place to work, depending on the store though. But I think it’s fun when I work

At the start hours were good but now not, so would be better if casuals had more hours or at least more shifts. Overall it’s not a terribly place to work at.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

F*** all hours (as casual)

It’s McDonald’s what do you expect

You go home smelling like a grease monkey every day. I worked really hard just for it to be thrown in my face at the end of every shift. Hours were always cut because I was “too old” even tho I was only 17. More like too expensive. A multi million dollar company could acted like they couldn’t afford to even keep me there.

Stressful and fast-paced

Good job for students and teenagers. Always went home smelling like grease and was given enough hours as a high school student. Customers made it more stressful though.

Really great crew, stressful job

The main reason I'm still working is purely for the people, I've heard from many other locations as well that the company really makes up for the fast-paced, stressful environment. Offers great experience for a first job and has a solid system in place for breaks (typically a 10 min and 1/2 hr) training, and more.

Good experience

The experience and skills gained are very valuable and can be applied to any job and day to day life. Solid place to work if it's your first time looking for work.

Pros

half price meals

Cons

stressful at times

Good

Good for a first job, gain a lot of experience. Management can be strict sometimes with timers as stores are very competitive, but you make a lot of good friends there.

Exhausting

Little support from management when dealing with abusive customers, expectation is that you are always available. Would not return unless I was desperate.

Compare McDonald's with