McDonald's

Australia653 reviews

3.4Work–Life Balance

Found 653 reviews matching the searchSee all 217,676 reviews

Amazing first job

Amazing first job, stressful, but amazing environment. 100% The best place to work out of all the fast food restaurants. Personally my coworkers were the worst part of the job, but you'll get that anywhere!

Flexible but difficult

It's fine to gain job experience here but it quickly becomes repetitive with little appreciation for what you do. The shared experience in the workplace was being treated like a robot. It's a very flexible job to have and you'll receive a discount during your shifts but sometimes boundaries were crossed. I would recommend this job to anyone looking for training in hospitality but I would be cautious in maintaining your boundaries.

Pros

Flexible

Cons

Repetitive work; management;

the worst place ever

never work here. people there are so rude and there is no sense of being safe there. managers are cruel and love to be pretentious cretins. DO NOT GET A JIB HERE

very fast-paced and can be stressful

Mcdonald's is great as a starter job as it hires people from a young age and can give you experience, and very flexible hours too. However, because it's fast-paced it gets stressful easily and the customers are rude.

It’s alright

Working there if fine. But you gotta lift ur weight and be quick. If you aren’t ur gonna likely be put to the side. Also if u tend to get sick and call in they get rlly annoyed if u miss a shift

Pros

Nice people

Cons

Ok managment

Very fast paced and stressful environment

Mcdonalds is a good first job but it is a mentally exhausting job that does not pay well, but as a job to get your foot in the door of the working world, it serves its purpose.

Good first job.

McDonalds is seen as a relatively good first job, always hiring young teenagers willing to launch their employment 'career'. Some McDonalds will train you adequately, some will not. Although stressful, McDonalds serves life-long qualities that will be taken to other careers; and will help you thrive.

Good first job

McDonald's helped me build up skills and basic workplace tools however management is typically a mess, most on power trips and the drama and chaos is ridiculous.

Pros

decent pay, good first job

Cons

management

Fast paced, stressful but fun when you have friends

Made a lot of great friends and my managers were quite chill which made shifts bearable. When you're understaffed, it can get quite stressful especially when it gets busy. Shifts tend to be like 6-8 hours depending on how busy it is and how many people are working.

Pros

The friends you make!

Cons

Dealing with rude customers

It's what you make of it - don't apply with a bad mindset.

Starting off, I had a bad mindset working there. Every shift was slow, I wasnt having any fun at all. However once I changed up my greeting at drive thru, the customers started complimenting me, and my mindset completely changed. After that, I was having a wonderful time at every shift. The managers (at least at the store I work at) are great, however I never had to deal with corporate. Expect randomness with where you will work each shift, and have fun

I hadn't been so stressed and scared in many years

I cannot recommend this job less. The only good thing I got out of this job was my weekly pay. I was promised at least two weeks of supervised training, but I was given three 4 hour shifts of training, then was pushed onto the shop floor not knowing what to do. I told my manager I didn't know what I'm supposed to do - since it was my second week of work, and my first shift out of training - and they got angry at me and yelled at me in front of customers waiting to order. I was also badly burned during one of my shifts and was given very little care. I still have a very visible scar a year later. My co-workers also made very inappropriate comments about me. I ended every single shift crying from the stress and overstimulation. I couldn't even bring myself to go into the shop itself to quit, I quit over the phone I haven't gone back since, and I never will.

High demand, bad pay

Overworking kids for a pay rate of only around $10 an hour. The manager was not great and always found stuff to shout at us about. Work is long and stressful and you feel disgusting at the end of the day if stuck on the fries area for the whole shift.

Stressful with bad pay

During my time at working at McDonald's it was always busy but in the worst kind of way. You were constantly doing something but it was always mind numbing monotonous tasks that requires no thought to do.

Pros

Benefits at other stores

Cons

Bad pay

bad place

sucked balls. my mental health took such a bad turn as soon as I started working. half the Co-workers were toxic the other half were decent people, the entire environment was horrible though

Great People but Horrible Management

Have usually enjoyed coming into work and having a great time with workmates. It is a very high intensity job, you will always be doing something. You are doing a lot more work than most other workplaces. Flexibility is decent with how you can pick hours. Management at my McDonald’s has been pretty below par. If you are not friends with the manager don’t expect anything.

Pros

Discounted Food

Cons

High Intensity

terrible

everyone gossips and the customers are rude. However, a few good people here and there. Always got panic attacks before starting my shift, it was traumatizing and the managers do not like new people.

Overall poor workplace

Bad management, Bad co workers, Poor pay, Depending on your crew work load can either be very little or too much mostly the latter, For a couple extra bucks a week it’s a good job but that’s about it.

Pros

Straightforward tasks

Cons

Child like management, Bad pay, Bad coworkers, Poorly managed

managers don’t care about you

managers only care about their drive thru and the cleanliness of the store they yell at their employees and expect the best from us. they sit in their office and talk bad about underage employees

Fast-paced

A very fast-paced environment with lots of opportunities to progress. Can be quite stressful when you first start but once you get the hang of it, it definitely becomes a lot easier

pros: great coworkers, fairly easy job // cons: stressful, very bad management

Maccas is a great first job. I was freshly 14 when I started and I worked 2, 3 hour shifts each weekend which gave me about 85 bucks. That wasn't too bad for me, but eventually you get frustrated. After working there for about 6 months you realise that you wan't to work in a better environment (for me it was better management). You can't work more than 3:30 hours until you're 15 which I didn't mind, until I wanted more money. The only times I could work was weekends so I could only do 2, 3 hours. I love all of my coworkers, yes you will occasionally get someone you don't like, but I am friends with all of them and love seeing my favourite coworkers when I walk in. I started working there with 2 other friends from my school, then more friends came in as well. If your applying at a maccas that is very short staffed you could get hired with a friend pretty much. That's probably the best side of working here, the worst side would be the management. I have a couple really nice managers, they don't yell and are always teaching me new things. However, when you wan't to change a shift or your availability it's very difficult and annoying. The system they use for roster is appalling. Recently my store has been lacking staff, and if you say you can't work you pretty much have to deal with all of it. If you can't find someone to cover your shift its on you (most of the times the shifts you can't work aren't rostered to your availability, so its not even your fault). Discounts aren't really that great, I hardly use mine because it doesn't really make a difference. Overall a great place -

Fun workplace with awesome people and high pay

A typical day at work would be to prepare the icecream , fries and drinks, pack food, take orders, manage the cleanliness. Learned how to communicate with customers and also coworkers, multitask and teamwork. Workplace culture was pretty good, managers are like friends.Hardest part would be having to rush the orders during busy periods. Most enjoyable part would be even though we have to rush, it's just like playing Dinner Dash, quite fun rushing here and there.

Pros

50% off before, during or after shifts

Cons

sometimes it gets really busy and your coworker could have called sick in a sudden

Compare McDonald's with