McConnell Dowell Employee Reviews

Productive, safe and a fun place to work
Painter/ Blaster (Former Employee) –  Weipa QLD24 July 2019
I worked on the Amrun project building the wharf with his awesome company, while working for them we where nominated for a global safety award which only 5 companies nominated a year
Pros
Safe
Productive fun workplace
Estimator (Former Employee) –  Perth WA13 March 2019
The team were very experienced, proactive and friendly. This was a great workplace with a great work/life balance. I would definitely recommend this company.
straight forward and comforting
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hawthorn VIC23 October 2018
everyone is helpful and care about your success. they are willing to always show you the way, in order for you to complete the task competently. i thoroughly enjoyed my experience there.
Mcd
Procurement/Materials/Logistics/Plant Co-Ordinator (Current Employee) –  Mount Isa QLD26 May 2018
A good company that has always looked out for me.
Their focus on safety is second to none.
With new Senior Management in place it is hoped that the future for MCD is very bright.
Pros
Great Culture
Cons
Wrong people wrong job
Very diverse company
Project Controls Manager (Current Employee) –  Brisbane18 January 2018
Excellent reputation and diverse work in Australia especially in infrastructure, mining and oil and gas.

Also some reasonable presence in South East Asia.
Excellent place to work
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Williamstown VIC6 December 2017
I enjoyed my time at McConnell Dowell and was totally shattered when I was made redundant. I worked alongside many different personalities and got on very well with each and everyone of them.
I keep an eye on their website in the hope that a similar position becomes available.
Pros
Made many new friends
Cons
Was made Redundant
Great company to work with.
Formworker/Concreter (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA30 November 2017
Great national company to work with. All policy and procedures strictly adhered too. Safety always a priority. Accommodation and administration staff always helpful.
Great office to work in
PA to General Manager Western Australia (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant WA23 August 2017
I spent 5 years with this company before being made redundant. Although there was many areas that could have been improved as with most larger companies, overall it was a great place to work and the team culture was fantastic.
Pros
Nice office and great fellow employees.
Cons
Being made redundant
very challenging project,but very satisfying
Bevel Machine Operator / Leading Hand (Former Employee) –  Chinchilla QLD20 June 2017
I was a Leading Hand beveler. I enjoyed the people I worked with and the challengers of providing quality work in a demanding role .
The project was a massive undertaking.
I had a good relationship with both management and my workmates. Respect is earnt and not demanded !
I enjoyed the commitment and teamwork from my workmates in sometimes very trying conditions.
Pros
Good People
Cons
long 28 day stints
Clean and modern workshop with FIFO to remote site work
Diesel mechanic/fitter (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC5 January 2017
It is a well structured and easy going workplace with many daily challenges and tasks. I find myself meeting and working with a variety of different people from day to day in the workplace, as well as on remote project sites across Australia.
Everyone is easy to get along with and work hard whether its on their own or in a team.
Pros
FIFO to project sites across Australia
Cons
Unsteady workflow
Melbourne Rail Business
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Vic6 September 2016
I have worked for McConnell Dowell's Melbourne Rail business for a couple of years now and at first I was looking forward to a promising future. Then I realised that the Manager treated his employees very poorly. Employees were required to do long hours with little notice of shift changes, many promises were made and then denied, time sheets were altered to reduce hours and allowances and safety was a paper only exercise to make it look good for clients and regulators. Hope the rest of the business does not run like this.
Pros
Good workers on the ground
Cons
As per comment
Plant supervisor
Marine Project Plant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland20 June 2016
Starting the day with the work crew to achieve daily tasks that change at the work front. Which posses a challenge for my team to be able to deliver all maintenance requirements for all work crews in thoughts areas of work.

This helps our team to be able to show other work crews that we can work in with the needs of others and provide resources and the right equipment to carry out the works even when things change on the work front.

Having a work team that is very positive to carry out safety and environmental tasks, while achieving a high standard of work skills to carry out the tasks at hand.
Pros
Was a great opportunity to work with good people and achieve project goals on time and on budget
Cons
Working with contractors in the same work area.
Great Job
leading hand/ Welder (Former Employee) –  Gladstone QLD15 May 2016
Definitely a job to remember, good work, good people, good management, plenty of after work activities. A project to be grateful of have had been apart of, a shame it had to come to an end.
aA top line teir one company great to work for very rewarding
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland WA2 May 2016
McConnell Dowell is a top line tier one company with great rewards ,They are a pleasure to work for and I believe are probably the best company I have worked for .
Pros
good rosters, and great salary packages
Cons
very rewarding company
good productivity good work culture
Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Cooper Basin2 May 2016
start the day with a group prestart including safety work program
and target.
You can always learn something new each day where every you work.
with out good management the work force is not on the same page of the project.
a good work crew is apparent for productivity.
having the wrong personal suitable for the job can decrease productivity and decrease safety .
Looking back at the days achievements can be quiet rewarding.
Pros
Good days pay for a good days work
Cons
travelling long distiance to work site
great company would work for them again
Site Supervisor / Seaford Rail Extension. (Former Employee) –  Adelaide, SA4 January 2016
very organized company good communication very high safety standards hardest part was leaving due to lack of work in S.A.
Pros
great group of co workers
Cons
lack of work in S.A.
Very busy, long hours but very rewarding
Site Administrator (Current Employee) –  Port Hedland WA6 November 2015
A typical day starts at 4.30am and once on site about 6am the day starts with a prestart meeting, stretches and then a full day. The work load is very busy and forever changing

Mobilisations, flights and accommodation is never straight forward but with a great supporting team and good time management skills you can achieve a lot in the 10 hour day

Communication is a very important part of the role and it sometimes can be poorly communicated so you need to ask lots of questions and never assume anything

The best part of the day is knock off time knowing that you have done your best and have had a very satisfying and rewarding day
Pros
Good money - great people to work with
Cons
Long hours - only contract work
Safety culture is lacking
safety advisor (Current Employee) –  West Australia5 October 2015
Upper management safety behaviors lack when pushed by deadlines, safety becomes just words on paper and not followed through in personnel behaviors.
there moto if it wasnt for great workers our company would not be here
Carpenter/Formworker-Grout Mixer (Former Employee) –  Hay Point, QLD30 September 2015
a well organised management with positive out put to all workers on site would like to work for them again but at the end of the day a great company with excellent management says a lot,
Pros
family orientated
Cons
a jobs a job always good and bad
boilermaker
Pipe Welder - 42-inch gas pipe (Former Employee) –  QLd29 September 2015
employed as a autotmatic pipewelder welding 42 inch gas pipe, for the mcjv qclng gas pipe line in QLD. working a 28 on 7 off roster