Medibank
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Medibank Employee Reviews

Australia82 reviews
Featured review
Medibank selected this as a representative review
Medibank has a great way of making you feel like you are part of the family from the moment you walk through the doors. Employees are all working towards the same goal "for Better Health" and there is a new positive energy throughout the business for C1 after the new CEO joined!

The culture is open and diversity is a great focus. There is such an authentic feeling for this through the exciting programs and employee engagement initiatives that are happening across the business and throughout the community!
Pros
Health Insurance Discounts & amazing Flexible Working opportunities!
Cons
The business was a little old fashioned and stuffy when I first joined, but the focus on innovation and the customer has re-energised the whole business!
I enjoyed my time as a COVID19 Hotline nurse with Medibank because I had the chance to work in the comfort of my own home. Overall, excellent pay rates
Nothing can prepare you for the job as a Triage Nurse unless you have worked in similar role on the phones. The training has been reduced over the years and is now fully online over 3 days whereas it used to be inhouse for 2 weeks. You are virtually thrown in the deep end and are not fully prepared for the sheer exhaustion of back to back calls, abusive callers and prank callers. The staffing levels are never right and every day there is a call out for you to do extra hours. You are pushed to the limits with the job continually taking on extra contracts, learning all the different processes for each contract, the constant changes, the pressure to meet your KPI's, inflexibility with rosters and availability for annual leave together with no compassion afforded if you need to have a day off for emergency reasons or alter your shift.
The company does offer good benefits by way of reduced health insurance premiums, one paid day off a year (woohoo), free Entertainment Book, and other small tokens.

The company certainly is not loyal to their employees and you are definitely not valued or indispensible regardless of how good a performer you are. I have been with the company many, many years and seen a lot of nurses and other staff just let go because the company will not compromise at all.

There isn't much support, your direct manager may be sympathetic but they are limited in their authority and power.

The best part about this job is working from home.

The company is very much drive by the almighty dollar.
Medibank treat all employees like a number. There is minimal support and nurses are expected to triage callers and offer health advice under strict time limits. There is very little room for nursing judgement. Overall it's been the worst nursing job I've ever had.
Job was great. Company lacked clinical support and nobody wanted to take control if issues occurred. Pay was often delayed and short. Did not support during phone calls.
No proper interview process. No development of skills during training. Very disorganised training, and no clear assessment procedure. Very little diversity in staff and no diversity among trainers and supervisors. They only like a certain type.
You do get a mentor but they are always busy. You get two weeks training before you start which is no way enough training. The policies for each case to learn is massive.
Although this job pays really well, it is very fast paced with steep KPI's, they say there are occasional sales targets, but they are extremely sales focused in the customer service department. Can be hard to manage a work life balance and found I would come home very stressed after a day of work. If you enjoy a fast paced sales driven role, this could be the one for you.
Average call centre work. Can't either in the place unless you suck up to management. Also unless you are part of the cliques you will not get a look in either.
16 December 2019
Hi there, thank you for leaving some feedback about your experience with us. At Medibank, we pride ourselves on both our people and culture so we’re sorry to hear that your experience with us hasn't been all positive. Please know that we’d be happy to talk with you in more detail about your experience. You can contact us on P&C_Communications@medibank.com.au Warm regards
Not worth the stress to working here as a customer service representative. Little help from trainers and team leaders and you are terrified of making mistakes that could lose you your job... A very competitive culture and the role is mundane. I would not recommend working here
9 December 2019
Hi there, thank you for leaving some feedback about your experience with us. At Medibank, we pride ourselves on both our people and culture so we’re sorry to hear that your experience with us hasn't been all positive. Please know that we’d be happy to talk with you in more detail about your individual experience. Please contact us on P&C_Communications@medibank.com.au Warm regards
No confidence in the senior executives of their management skills.
Bad culture brought in by senior executives with their cronies from another bad company.

Not leading by example.
9 December 2019
Colleagues were very helpful and considerate. The premise was beautifully designed. The team culture was a little warped due to team leader but overall culture of the organisation was friendly.
I started working with Medibank (and HealthStrong) straight out of university. I have now been with the company for several years.

The opportunities for professional and personal development; the supportive management team and the team culture have all been factors in me continuing on my journey with Medibank and HealthStrong.

Plenty of internal career development too with opportunities for promotions, management roles and even swapping into other areas of the business.

Highly recommend keeping an eye out for Medibank and HealthStrong roles if you are an Allied Health Professional.
Found the role very isolated and felt exposed to verbal abuse and prank calls on all shifts. Scripted responses takes away assessment and critical thinking skills of an experienced Registered Nurse. Very managed time schedule with short breaks and active hours you take back to back calls
9 December 2019
Hi there, we’re sorry to hear that your experience with us wasn't all positive. Please know that we’d be happy to talk with you in more detail about your individual experience. Please contact us on P&C_Communications@medibank.com.au Warm regards
When I applied for the job, the ad stated it was for a full time position. I wouldn’t have applied for any job for anything less. Once I was offered a position and got my contract (after handing in resignation at previous job) I learned from my contract that it was actually a temporary position, and that you had to ensure your performance was of the highest standard for six months for them to want to keep you. Very misleading. The office is very clique like, and it’s hrd to break into that besides a few great people. Team leaders acted like they were always there to support you, however when approaching them with genuine problems or concerns they would just tell you to sort it out and have a crack at solving the problem yourself - even though you weren’t trained for whatever the problem may have been. Salary well below averag. Definitely wouldn’t recommend.
23 September 2019
Hi there, thank you for leaving some feedback about your experience with ahm. At Medibank and ahm, we pride ourselves on both our people and culture so we’re sorry to hear that your experience with us hasn't been all positive. Please know that we’d be happy to talk with you in more detail about your individual experience. Please contact us on P&C_Communications@medibank.com.au Warm regards
Its actually a shame that it is run as a sweat shop, because the Building itself and the call center staff are wonderful. They would strive to help customers to the best of their abilities if they were given the time. They are set up to fail with the amount of unrealistic KPI's that drive the center. The management that run the call center talk the talk about work life balance and help etc but sadly it is just TALK. The smiling assassin is the manager of the center and honestly he is cut throat, while smiling all the time. If you are unwell you have to call through to him so he can shame you into still coming in while he tries to act like he cares. It is one of the worst experiences of my working life. Sad. It could be good. Management (above the call center management) need to actually talk with the on the floor staff , confirming that there will be no recriminations, if they did this they might actually be able to retain their knowledgeable staff instead of the constant revolving door. One KPI is 4 different teams listening into calls, they all report on any tiny thing that has been missed in the call and these can change daily, we are informed by email of something that has been added to spiel, if you don't have time to be constantly checking those emails and therefore miss a NEW update on the spiel then you fail that call. These updates aren't about a policy change, because that would make it important to our members and we must make sure we are totally aware of those - it could be as simple as not repeating VERBATIM everything that we have handled in that call. - more...
31 July 2019
Hi there, thank you for leaving feedback about your experience with Medibank. We’re sorry to hear that your experience with us hasn't been all positive and we'd like to hear more about it. Please contact us on P&C_Communications@medibank.com.au and the appropriate member from People & Culture will contact you. Warm regards
Great culture and fantastic management . I have particularly loved the open door policy, inclusion and diversity in Medibank.
My role here entails the following :

• Management of a team of 40 staff which includes the invoicing team, provider support inbound team and central appointments team through one on ones, career coaching and performance management

• Setting clear team goals

• Delegating tasks and setting guidelines

• Analysis and reporting of individual key performance indicators and reporting on metrics

• Discovering training needs and providing coaching

• Monitoring invoices made in accordance with strict compliance governance guidelines

• Managing all escalations and complaints from providers, the ADF Health Centres and ADF members; via calls and emails

• Planning and delivering of all work instructions and business rules

• Recruiting and training of all staff

• Setting up of 2 new teams and processes

• Coordinating and assisting in all audits carried out each quarter, and returning a very high standard success rate reported back from the ADF’s Joint Health Command
See Healthstrong reviews if you want a better insight into the company you will be joining. Bait and switch tactic that will ultimately put you in an uncomfortable position.
Pros
Working with the elderly
Cons
Acfi, Unrealistic
1 August 2019
Hi there, thank you for leaving feedback about your experience with Medibank. We’re sorry to hear that your experience with us hasn't been all positive. Please know we'd be more than happy to speak about this more with you. Please contact us on P&C_Communications@medibank.com.au and the appropriate member from People & Culture will contact you. Warm regards
Great benefits and flexible work conditions. It is a large company with lots of opportunity. All the staff are great to work with. Communication from all levels is also a strong point.
If you meet targets consistently and never ask questions all is well.
Staff turnover is insanely high, I never knew the names of half the new staff because they left within a few weeks.
As per my resume. Typical day at work would be to get ready for a fast paced sales savvy team, sharing ideas and experiences and constantly improving your own skills set.
Pros
Great place to master the skills of selling
Cons
nothing really, I enjoyed every minute there