Melbourne Polytechnic
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Melbourne Polytechnic Employee Reviews

Australia15 reviews
Very hard to move from casual to part-time or full time. prior education qualifications treated as worthless without Cert IV in training and assessment. An incredible amount of admin including enrolling and withdrawing students personally. Not much admin support.
Do you want to get high blood pressure? Then work at Melb Poly.
I speak four languages, and I’m qualified.

After five years working with them long hours/working on weekends and I was doing lots of things that’s was not in my job description and on the top of that I was bullied every single day from a few admins just because they were close friends with managers. One manager and two team leaders managing 6 or 7 admins....it was so hard to work with them.... the students couldn’t trust the admins because admins were sharing students personal information. Not professional.

After five years working so hard I lost my job for no reason, and after a few days four news staff started, and One of the new team was manager’s daughter, and the rest were manages’s friends.

I was shocked that the higher managers know about it and they didn’t do anything...I stayed in the hospital for two weeks because I was bullied and hurt
Management needed a shake-up. Funding was always an issue and my department needed specific assistance to achieve greater outcomes. Some processes were extremely slow making progress in a fast-paced environment difficult.
Relaxed and fun workplace. Located in great suburb and accessible by train and bus. Good facilities. Mainly international students. Friendly and caring staff.
Since This TAFE employed a series of business CEO's and spent thousands on changing their name, it has gone downhill in its treatment of its employees. It retains permanent contract workers regardless of their teaching abilities and is not loyal to its casual teachers. Management have made a series of huge mistakes resulting in debt and has made teachers pay for their mi
Pros
Lovely and diverse students and staff
Cons
Poor management and ethos. Nepotism is rife.
Students that have no knowledge are just supposed to be passed. Management unethical and if you don't get a good review from passing students you don't get your contract renewed, If you need academic content for your course they don't pay you to develop it even though they then want to claim intellectual property rights.
Cons
Best working place for beginners
Learnt heaps during my working days

Management was very supportive to ideas

Teaching here was the best experience.

Many cultures was met and mingled.
Pros
Healthy environment
Cons
Nil
Melbourne Polytechnic is a challenging place to work when working as a career advisor. You must be able to answer large numbers of questions from students and potential students within a reasonable amount of time. Additionally it is important that you are able to satisfactorily resolve a query in such a way that you are confident that you have given the person all the relevant information.

A standard day would encompass either waiting for inquiries to come in from potential students or it would entail calling the potential students to answer any questions they have on a personal basis.

The main thing I had learned during my time there was patience. Every person is different their way of asking questions is different, their financial situation is different, their desired educational outcome is different. It is one thing to know about this however it is something entirely different when you have to deal with it. You need to be very considerate and sympathetic when dealing with a person inquiring for a course when they come from a weak financial background.

Not just sounding sincere but also finding them alternate solutions if the course they are trying to enter into has a high cost. Putting in extra time to finding a solution that both parties find agreeable can be hard and even frustrating but the emotional reward when you help a person be one step closer to doing what they want is more than enough.

Overall the workplace was relaxing, the team leader wasn't hounding team members for numbers and no one felt stressed or uncomfortable working there. There was no
 - more...
Excellent working environment . Excellent feedbacks from students. Excellent culture. Good collaboration and communication among administration staff and professors.
Strongly recommend this Institution.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Melbourne Polytechnic?
Senior management were not very professional in the way the dealt with internal issues e.g. Bullying. They wouldn't listen to many ideas - whilst I was there - given by myself (who was only tempory) and full-time employees. The teachers (in general) were very professional and enthusiatic in the way they dealt with trainees and other clients. Work colleagues were fantastic given the very low moral within the department - Don't Worry Be Happy...
Pros
Great Work Mates - Close To Home
Cons
Bullying Allowance - Incompetent (In House) Management
Friendly coworkers, nice location. Lots of students of all ages around campus. Constructions currently being undertaken next door for a new high school.
Toxic management and toxic culture and no respect from management. Treated teachers as a problem rather than as the primary deliverers of the organisation's services.

Stayed for the students and the salary only. Glad I am no longer there.
One of the best places to work, friendly coworkers , always willing to help.
I had to travel around various campus of the institution, where I manage to meet new people and interact with different cultures.
A typical day at work: 7 am to 3 or 4 pm.
Workplace culture: Communicate with the vitality of college students.

I learned about standard operating procedure food & beverage task
It's a lousy place to work with management now in thrall to spread sheets and business analysts with little focus on how to really engage students and support teachers
Pros
Salaries
Cons
Long hours little recognition, lazy people often favoured over hard workers dysfunctional management