Melbourne Polytechnic
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Melbourne Polytechnic Employee Review

Good but challenging

30 August 2018
Melbourne Polytechnic is a challenging place to work when working as a career advisor. You must be able to answer large numbers of questions from students and potential students within a reasonable amount of time. Additionally it is important that you are able to satisfactorily resolve a query in such a way that you are confident that you have given the person all the relevant information. A standard day would encompass either waiting for inquiries to come in from potential students or it would entail calling the potential students to answer any questions they have on a personal basis. The main thing I had learned during my time there was patience. Every person is different their way of asking questions is different, their financial situation is different, their desired educational outcome is different. It is one thing to know about this however it is something entirely different when you have to deal with it. You need to be very considerate and sympathetic when dealing with a person inquiring for a course when they come from a weak financial background. Not just sounding sincere but also finding them alternate solutions if the course they are trying to enter into has a high cost. Putting in extra time to finding a solution that both parties find agreeable can be hard and even frustrating but the emotional reward when you help a person be one step closer to doing what they want is more than enough. Overall the workplace was relaxing, the team leader wasn't hounding team members for numbers and no one felt stressed or uncomfortable working there. There was no - more...
28 March 2020
Community Liaison Officer (Former Employee) - Epping VIC
Do you want to get high blood pressure? Then work at Melb Poly. I speak four languages, and I’m qualified. After five years working with them long hours/working on weekends and I was doing lots of things that’s was not in my job description and on the top of that I was bullied every single day from a few admins just because they were close friends with managers. One manager and two team leaders managing 6 or 7 admins....it was so hard to work with them.... the students couldn’t trust the admins because admins were sharing students personal information. Not professional. After five years working so hard I lost my job for no reason, and after a few days four news staff started, and One of the new team was manager’s daughter, and the rest were manages’s friends. I was shocked that the higher managers know about it and they didn’t do anything...I stayed in the hospital for two weeks because I was bullied and hurt
17 March 2020
Same location
EAL Teacher (Former Employee) - Preston VIC
Very hard to move from casual to part-time or full time. prior education qualifications treated as worthless without Cert IV in training and assessment. An incredible amount of admin including enrolling and withdrawing students personally. Not much admin support.
21 January 2020
PROGRAM LEAD (Former Employee) - Melbourne VIC
Management needed a shake-up. Funding was always an issue and my department needed specific assistance to achieve greater outcomes. Some processes were extremely slow making progress in a fast-paced environment difficult.