Metro Trains Melbourne Employee Reviews

No real work for engineers
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  700 Collins St3 January 2019
I have been working for the Metro Projects department as a project engineer for almost 4 years. During that time I have witnessed the incredible expansion of the projects department that has tripled in size. This has led to the rapid advancement of many managers that should not be in positions of power. They have managed to get ahead by working the longest hours, and forcing their staff to do likewise. Many lack the soft skills required to be leaders instead of bosses, and this in turn has created a toxic, competitive environment.

I would greatly advise looking elsewhere if you are an engineer, as MTM do no real engineering work. They manage contractors who do that work for them, and as such engineers end up doing admin work and being assistants to project managers. If your career goals are to move towards project management then that might suit, but if you want to solve problems and innovate then this is not the organisation for you.
Train driving looks better than what it is
Trainee Train Driver (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC22 November 2018
Not a real satisfying way to make a living, once past the annoyingly difficult and stressful course the day becomes monotonous quickly. Management don't treat staff very well but I guess it's almost the standard for employers now.
Must be seen not heard.
High Voltage Operator and Overhead Observer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC8 November 2018
Metro Trains Melbourne are a great company to work for they are an equal opportunity employer with a big focus on education and training. Metro encourage safe working standards and pay well.
Pros
Ongoing training
Cons
Make their own rules
Recommended
Project Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC13 September 2018
Metro Trains Melbourne does take their workers and their work/life balance into consideration in most areas. I found them to be encouraging in moving my career forward and have paid to help me advance my career.

They have been obliging and helpful when I have needed to attend to family needs and commitments.
Pros
Myki Card - free travel. In some areas, above award wage. Good graduate program.
Cons
Distance to travel sometimes can be long.
Bad culture
Ex- emplyee (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC4 August 2018
This is a company that has very poor organisational culture. Politics is heavily played in all levels of the company.
The opportunity within the company is 80% of the time based on whose mate you are instead of merits. Gender balance at middle to senior management level is very unfavourable of female.
Lack of evidence based decision making. Passive in managing relationships with the state government angencies.
HR management is one of the worst amongst companies this size.
This low capability of the company ‘s delivery is definitely a big cause of why people in Melbourne complain about their train services.

Too much pretentious and back stabbing dominating the day to day working lives. It is indeed a toxic work place. Not recommended.
Pros
Reasonable salary, long term demand for public transport needs
Cons
Poor management, low career development capabilities
Shocking culture - think twice
Head of Operational Resource Planning and Training (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC26 July 2018
Blame and bully culture that takes legal and EBA regulations to the lowest ebb for delivery. The environment is insular and is not supportive of those outside of rail.
There is an arrogance that makes this very archaically run company believe that they are right and the rest of the world is wrong.
Claim to be flexible but they are only flexible in that the employee is required to do everything it takes while getting nothing in return.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Expectation that rail becomes life absorbing, Terrible culture, Fear, blame and bullying
Do not practise diversity & equality
Procurement Administrator (Former Employee) –  700 Collins St18 April 2018
Company that is top heavy, every 2nd person is a manager but half of them in that position knows nothing about what to do and how to do it. Many of them got into managerial positions not because of their ability but by boot licking or as the saying goes is not what you know but who you know. So if you are best mates with management your life will be a breeze.
Pros
Free public transport
Cons
No training or career progression for low level staff
Well adapted workplace with a great group of work peers.
Assistant - 2 weeks (Former Employee) –  Southern Cross VIC1 February 2018
A day at work shouldn't always have to feel like a typical day at work, i hope that when i find a job, i am excited for the opportunity to go to work and see my work peers and have a fun exciting day as well as getting the required days work done. Over my experience i learnt what its like to work in an office environment which i soon after learnt was not my desired work enviornment.
Manager talks to much which shows how shallow his knowledge was.
Resurfacing Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC26 September 2017
Excellent job situation, which includes dynamic planning on short notice. Colleagues were helpful and friendly. The company is excellent for professional engineers.
Pros
challenging planning due to its dynamism
Cons
Manager talks a lot which shows his shallow knowledge
Good job culture, people are great to work with and always share knowledge and experiences, however there is still a silo mentality
Group Train Driver Manager Metro North (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC17 August 2017
In train services, it's a very reactive area of the business where you learn to think on your feet and sort out the issues as they come to hand. The workplace culture is great, a place where all can share their knowledge and experiences. Metro management are always striving to better themselves with a lot of internal and external courses available for all staff. The hardest part of the job was dealing with train fatalities and the stresses placed on Drivers and the most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction you get when you can assist employees through their difficult situations.
Pros
Free travel on public transport
Cons
Poor work/life balance
Poorly managed, and terrible culture
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC31 July 2017
Metro Trains is a very management-heavy company, yet nothing seems to be managed well. There is no drive for efficiency as they are spending tax-payers money. There is a culture which values hierarchy above all else, and if you have something to say, they encourage you to sweep it under the rug rather than try to remedy it. The work culture breeds people who are more concerned with climbing the ladder than doing a good job, the company does nothing to assist in development of its employees, and nepotism is rampant when it comes to performance reviews. There are 3 kinds of people who works at Metro: People who are too lazy and incompetent to work elsewhere and hide behind the bureaucracies of Metro, people who have never worked elsewhere so don't know any better, and miserable people. The company could sack 30% of its workforce and the same amount of work would get done. The renumeration is quite poor as well, except for for a handful of people.
Pros
Free public transport
Cons
Work here for too long and you will become useless
Good Company
Asset Strategy Specialist (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC6 June 2017
Metro is a very good company with mature HR policies. It is hampered in implementing a number of sound initiatives due to the fixed time-frames and contractual obligations of the franchise system.
Avoid if you want a life.
Leading Station Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC5 March 2017
I took this "Leading Station Job." job out of desparation. The rotationg roster is a killer especially standing up day in day out. You're working 9 days straight every roster period. Passengers (majority) looks down on you.

Management treats your position like a second rate employee. There is no work/life balance. No consideration of important family occasions like weddings & the like.

You are constantly being watched on camera like a prisoner.

At late nights you are by yourself while dealing with louts especially Friday & Saturday nights.

There is no job satisfaction or sense of achievement.
Pros
Rate of pay
Cons
Overall, Metro Trains has some great people working there.
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC11 November 2016
This was a temp role and I learnt a lot about Metro Trains. The staff there were really nice people and I enjoyed working there for the short period. Any time I needed assistance, I could go to any of the staff and they would assist when/where they could
Pros
Friendly team
Cons
Too short a work contract
Assistant OIC/Control Room Supervisor
Assistant Station Manager/Control Room (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC24 October 2016
Varied work each shift, this depended on Trains running to schedule & or lines having any disruptions.
Base salary was only $65,000 and with penalty rates bought annual wage close to $110,000.
It was a good learning due to different working personal along with having in each shift dealing with unsatisfied passengers.
Management made an attempt to assist introducing daily personal presentations in an endeavour for each employee to feel as though you were helping them develop and encourage everyday passengers enjoy their daily trip to their destination.
With a wide range of staff from varied country of origan made it very interesting and helped dealing with people.
I found the hardest part of the job was dealing with arrogant and uncontrollable passengers.
Enjoyable part was working with a wide variety of staff members
Pros
Free travel
Cons
Last minute extended hours that were occasionally longer than 12.
If it seems too good to be true, it probably is - don't touch Metro with a barge pole
- (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC26 July 2016
Important decisions are made at the pub.

Very much a 'dodgy brothers' feel about the place.

A lot of back stabbing, undermining and white anting.

Not at all professional.

Confidentiality is not maintained.

Deceiving clients and the community is high on the agenda

Sexism is part of the culture. Management pay lip-service. They don't 'call out' sexism when they have clearly witnessed it.

Definitely an 'old boys club'.

The place is full of egomaniacs

If you are not from "The Rail Family" you are not welcome in Metro

The booze culture is un-heathly, unsafe and unproffessional

Poor behaviours are rewarded and good performance is not

Nepotism is rife
Cons
All of the above
Great Company to work
HR Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC2 February 2016
It was a good work experience where I have worked in a very good work climate but also in a challenging and hostile environment or IR/ER disputes, EA Negotiations and numerous restructures
Day to day we were following Company's guidelines and projects
Also, as all the HRBP-s are on site we had a big number of Walk In Customers both blue and white collars
Manager always provide us with projects to work on
Pros
Solid Company with lots of opportunities
Cons
unstable work conditions and work climate often lack of managers
Rewarding job depite a tough beginning
Contract Manager Vehicles (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC22 September 2015
To start from scratch and introduce policies to control and reduce costs was rewarding ,working autonomously was difficult but I had the support of senior management.
Achieving savings of $5 million dollars over the three years was most satisfying.
I was disappointed to be made redundant after achieving such significant savings and changes to work practices.
Introducing new initiatives and reducing costs was great I know that the place was better when I left than when I arrived..
Pros
Free transport was a bonus that I underestimated
Cons
A long culture of failing to improve accountabilty and working to reduce costs
Fun working environment
Project Administrator (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC14 September 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. Do give them assistance and be appreciated by my them. They were always grateful. There was a lot of variety in what I did each a day, ranging from tedious tasks to new and exciting challengers
Pros
being part of the department
An organisation with a diverse cultural base and enormous challenges from a management, operational and project delivery perspective.
Manager, Project Management Office (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, Victoria26 November 2014
As manager of the Project Management Office, I had 20 concurrent projects running at any one time with 40 direct and indirect reports. Relationship management with a diverse business and operational profile was challenging but I managed to set appropriate realistic expectations whilst managing risk and other project based impediments that would compromise either schedule, budget and quality of deliverables. The job demanded that I act as a Service Delivery Manager, Business Delivery Manager whilst maintaining continuity of our various program streams that cumulatively were valued in excess of $20M per annum. I was able to do this effectively whilst establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with all internal and external stakeholders. It was extremely challenging but highly rewarding and falls within my key skill set, which is relationship management with a clear focus on project delivery to the necessary levels of quality, within defined budget and schedule.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metro Trains Melbourne. Our community is ready to answer.

Metro Trains Melbourne Reviews by Location