Metro Trains Melbourne
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

38: Metro Trains Melbourne Employee Reviews

Australia38 reviews

2.9Work–Life Balance

Good pay makes people stay

If it weren't for the pretty decent money that most can earn with the company you'd be looking almost anywhere else. Management are more interested in smashing workers than helping them succeed. Training costs are continually being attacked to get to the minimal level acceptable to be gotten away with rather than making sure people are confident and competent in their training.If you have other options and aren't chasing money, look elsewhere.

Pros

Pay and conditions

Cons

Management, culture, security.

Dysfunctional

All the trappings of a toxic government bureaucracy. Chaotic, dysfunctional, reactive work environment. Gossipy & hierarchal. Sink or swim attitude towards new staff by ‘team leader’. Mistakes made due to lack of training or knowledge berated. Structurally complex and fractured, there was zero leadership and a prevailing attitude of hopelessness. Vision statements reduced to meaningless bumper stickers. Disingenuous ‘no’ people in the mostly absent, self-absorbed managerial class. No development or advancement opportunities promoted, and nepotism rampant. Skilled and broad thinking individuals best avoid.

Pros

Free public transport

Cons

Chaotic, dysfunctional, reactive, deceitful work practices.

Bad culture

Bad culture from middle management to team management. Senior Management rely no untruths issued to them. Safety is only a word to metro, it's do as I say not what we say. No such thing as honesty and with Depot management. But covering and finger pointing to pass the blame.

Horrible place to work.

The management are hopeless. They do not care about the health and well being of their staff. Not a nice place to work. I could not recommend this company at all.

Toxic work culture.

Extremely busy and too many direct reports to successfully achieve all required KPIs. Although they market a work life balance this is lip service and doesn’t actually exist. Pays well but this is required as the work place culture is so toxic.

Fast paced need to be alert have ethics calmness

When doing the job of revenue ticketing inspector you should be calm alert understanding some people want to fare evade because they simple don't think they should pay for their ride and they want to uphold the system whilst some people have a real excuse so you have to be understanding it's a challenging job you meet all sorts of people who don't have a ticket

Your life and soul are taken away

If you want a good job to balance work and social life, this is not the company to go for. They force you to work and forces you to cancel your pond with family. They don’t care about family or your health. They pay you incorrectly most times. If you don’t suck up to management, expect the boot or harassed. It is one of the worst company to ever join. The customers are feeling the pain of terrible services

Easy going but over managed

The work load can be heavy at times plenty of overtime if want. Micromanaged too much. hardest part of the Job is the early starts. Enjoyable part is your fellow work mates

Not a great work environment

Metro talk a big game but never put their people or their safety first. Extremely disturbing on a day to day basis. Most enjotable part of the job was leaving

Great if you just want that face to face customer interaction.

Unfortunately customers have become more violent. Current management that looks after the Northern/Eastern/Western suburbs of Melbourne are unfortunately very vindictive and calculating. They have no interest in caring or looking after staff's interest/well being etc

Terrible culture staff encouraged to tell tales on other staff members.

I worked in the rail industry for twenty years, prior to Metro it was Connex. Metro management treat their staff with very little respect. Staff were actively encouraged at Frankston station to tell tales on other members of staff. If you were part of a "click" you were fine, if you had the the audacity to be an individual you were treated with disdain and talked about.

Favouritism and Harassment

If you are planning to join this company do not make this mistake. The pay rate is good but mental harassment is way more than that. Lot of favouritism. If you ever even speak about any inequality you are constantly harassed. Management will use other employees behind you to harass you. Lot of things happen in this company that go under the carpet.

Pros

Free travel, good pay

Good job

A typical day for me was standing around giving customers information about train timetables etc. Workplace culture was great, They treated all cultures the same. Hardest part of my job was being abused by angry passengers

Challenging but a very enjoyable working place

At MTM my day would start of printing reports and going through any errors or issues. I've learnt to manage people with different backgrounds and cultures. The management team was quite helpful and follows all the rules in the book when dealing with any situation. It's has one of the best work cultures I've ever worked in. The hardest and the most challenging part of my job was to manage and organise materials in the system and keep track of them as there were a lot of change happening in materials purchased. And the most enjoyable part was the amount of freedom and space we have to finish our work.

Pros

Free lunch on every second Friday

Cons

Too much procedures to follow

No real work for engineers

I have been working for the Metro Projects department as a project engineer for almost 4 years. During that time I have witnessed the incredible expansion of the projects department that has tripled in size. This has led to the rapid advancement of many managers that should not be in positions of power. They have managed to get ahead by working the longest hours, and forcing their staff to do likewise. Many lack the soft skills required to be leaders instead of bosses, and this in turn has created a toxic, competitive environment. I would greatly advise looking elsewhere if you are an engineer, as MTM do no real engineering work. They manage contractors who do that work for them, and as such engineers end up doing admin work and being assistants to project managers. If your career goals are to move towards project management then that might suit, but if you want to solve problems and innovate then this is not the organisation for you.

Train driving looks better than what it is

Not a real satisfying way to make a living, once past the annoyingly difficult and stressful course the day becomes monotonous quickly. Management don't treat staff very well but I guess it's almost the standard for employers now.

Must be seen not heard.

Metro Trains Melbourne are a great company to work for they are an equal opportunity employer with a big focus on education and training. Metro encourage safe working standards and pay well.

Pros

Ongoing training

Cons

Make their own rules

Recommended

Metro Trains Melbourne does take their workers and their work/life balance into consideration in most areas. I found them to be encouraging in moving my career forward and have paid to help me advance my career. They have been obliging and helpful when I have needed to attend to family needs and commitments.

Pros

Myki Card - free travel. In some areas, above award wage. Good graduate program.

Cons

Distance to travel sometimes can be long.

Great pay, poor culture

Metro is a very large company with many different divisions and departments. I do not intend to speak for all. In my experience there is a lot of office politics and very little action from management. The Rail industry is developing and moving into the future very quickly and everyone is being reactive rather than proactive, meaning there are always new problems on the horizon. This caused a stressful workplace and there was little recognition or efforts to establishing a positive work environment for the individual, everything is for the business. To meet expectations is to work atleast 10 hours of a overtime a week as a standard- unpaid and unrecognised.

Pros

Above standard salary

Cons

Long hours, negative culture, gossip

Bad culture

This is a company that has very poor organisational culture. Politics is heavily played in all levels of the company. The opportunity within the company is 80% of the time based on whose mate you are instead of merits. Gender balance at middle to senior management level is very unfavourable of female. Lack of evidence based decision making. Passive in managing relationships with the state government angencies. HR management is one of the worst amongst companies this size. This low capability of the company ‘s delivery is definitely a big cause of why people in Melbourne complain about their train services. Too much pretentious and back stabbing dominating the day to day working lives. It is indeed a toxic work place. Not recommended.

Pros

Reasonable salary, long term demand for public transport needs

Cons

Poor management, low career development capabilities

Shocking culture - think twice

Blame and bully culture that takes legal and EBA regulations to the lowest ebb for delivery. The environment is insular and is not supportive of those outside of rail. There is an arrogance that makes this very archaically run company believe that they are right and the rest of the world is wrong. Claim to be flexible but they are only flexible in that the employee is required to do everything it takes while getting nothing in return.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Expectation that rail becomes life absorbing, Terrible culture, Fear, blame and bullying

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Metro Trains Melbourne. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Metro Trains Melbourne