MGA Entertainment Employee Review

View all MGA Entertainment reviews

Much more work to be done
Brand Manager (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CA3 October 2016
In my opinion, most of the people are great, some of the leaders are good, the owner piles on too much work and people are stressed working there. In my opinion, a person is better off finding a job elsewhere.
Pros
The people
Cons
The CEO

Other MGA Entertainment Employee Reviews

cant say i enjoyed it
Project Manager/Sr. Designer (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CA13 May 2019
Glad that I had the opportunity to work at MGA although it was a short period of time, I worked with many wonderful talents. This company doesn't provide any security, nor honor creative ideas. If the owner doesn't like you or your idea, you are out of the game. However, the designers that I worked with were extremely talented and creative... and most of them are gone by now.
Where Failure is the Status Quo
Director, PR & Social Media (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CA1 April 2019
MGA will always fail. Always. It has a leadership problem that will never go away. A leader isn’t good because he thinks he is right, or because he strongly imposes his will onto others. A leader is good because he is willing to learn, and to trust.

The leadership at MGA will never trust its employees’ expertise. The man in charge thinks he knows better than you. He has his fingers in every pie, and thinks he knows how to do your job better than you ever will. He won’t listen when you gently suggest that his dictated strategy might not be best for the business. (Even though you want to scream “That’s not how it works! That’s not how any of this works!”) He will insist you do it his way. Then when your project fails to generate any results, he will blame you.

The supreme leader is also unethical and unscrupulous. He has a 20-year track record of not paying his bills. You will find a vendor you love, who meets their goals, and he will say their results were “not good enough” and refuse to pay their invoice. He says “let them sue me.” Sometimes they do. And he will spend $50,000 in legal bills and court costs just to make sure the vendor doesn’t get $5000. It is pure insanity.

This same “leader” asked me to take a walk outside with him one day, then proceeded to “coach” me on how to create a fake marketing plan with inflated numbers to make it look like we were going to spend a ton of money to promote a new brand. It would be completely make believe, he told me, just so the retailer would agree to take our new line. Once in the stores, we would never spend those marketing
  more... dollars. I was appalled.

If you are comfortable with shady ethics, your goals being a constantly moving target, nobody appreciating your hard-earned expertise, and being underpaid, then MGA might be the perfect place for you. If you are a respectable professional – look elsewhere.