MINDA INC Employee Reviews

Productive and a learning privilege
Disability Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA5 March 2019
Minda is very flexible with its staff regarding working patterns. They also provide opportunities for staff to learn more courses during their period of employment.
Pros
free learning center
Poor management and communication
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  South Australia23 March 2018
I found that Minda had strong selling points at the start for me to join.
I was looking for an opportunity of growth as I was starting out my career in health.
The Minda in limestone coast had only just started getting underway and they did say shifts may be lacking at the start because they were taking in and there might be so slow and grey areas.

However I only had 2 clients the whole time I was there and was never given a care plan for either one of them. Didn't know there ages, disabilities nothing!!!!

I messaged my TL about 6 times in two weeks and got a measly response about everything, this was questions about the clients, progression etc
Such bad communication from them and lack of support! Huge lack.

Maybe it's just this area but I would tread carefully regardless what region you enter.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Casual, short shifts, no communication, no opportunity, poor management, most things.
Inclusive and diverse place
Development Care Worker (Community Living) (Current Employee) –  South Adelaide SA11 October 2017
Minda provides a safe environment for people with disabilities. They tailor a variety of programs for their clients. Extensive training is available for staff. The most enjoyable pat of the job is seeing a client learn new skills and implement them in their life. The hardest part of the job is when there are behaviours of concern that are difficult to manage because there are no apparent triggers nor is there obvious patterns in the Antecedent, Behaviour, Consequent chart.
Pros
Training programs
Cons
Emotional and well being support with difficult work cases
fun and rewarding
Disability Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Brighton SA4 October 2017
A great place to work, Supporting the most beautiful people with Disabilities, great staff and management interaction , good work life balance , rotating rosters
Minda has changed from a place of care to a business
Gardener (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA24 September 2017
I worked with minda for over 9 years and at the end of my time there i was having issues with my manager..

I wasn't supported nor was the other five staff who also felt it was easier to leave than battling with a manager in the wrong position..
Poor managment
Disability Worker (Current Employee) –  Adelaide SA2 July 2017
Poor management and a lack of health and safety.
No ability with in the company to up-skill
A lack of respect for people with disabilities

The hardest part of my job
- going without breaks to complete my tasks within the allocated
time.
- seeing clients being spoken down to

The most enjoyable part of the job is speaking people with disabilities and assisting them to complete tasks in the workplace
(in a fun and respectful manner)
Multi cultural work opportunities
DCW (Former Employee) –  Brighton SA18 April 2017
The clients you support at Minda are awsome. the staff you work with can sometimes be competitive and petty. The key is to stay focused on the people you are there to help. Work hard, be honest and remain caring. Management have to deal with a lot of silly time wasting aspects of the job, mostly to do with staff bickering, too many chiefs not enough indians. This causes some of the team leaders to become bitter and mean. There are always shifts available and usually go to agency staff. Lots of staff are lazy and call in sick. You will be required to work afternoons and day shifts, and weekends. The pay is ok but you dont do this work for the money. So if you love helping people and can stand a few knives in your back, Minda is the place for you.
Pros
awsome clients
Cons
may have to work with idiots
Committing to a meaningful purpose
Acting Team Leader - Holdfast & Repton Road (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA30 April 2016
Greet the other staff.
The first thing I do when I start my shift, is do a handover with staff from the shift before.
The next thing I do, after doing the handover, is go and check the house diary to see what needs to be done for the shift ahead.
I normally do morning and afternoon shifts, the first part of my shift is usually assisting staff with getting residents ready for the day. For some residents, assistance or supervision is needed to help prepare their breakfast. For others, they may need assistance when eating or taking medication.
The mornings here can be quite chaotic trying to get a group of people ready for all their different activities.
We also need to assist with their personal hygiene.
Most days, all our residents have their different recreational activities. These can include things such as work ,bowling, art or gardening,walking groups or they can be medical appointments.
Part of my day is spent keeping the organizing the roster. This includes things such as matching staff with residents in there homes .Delegating staff to tasks such as medical appointments and ensuring all the days activities are covered ,making adjustments where needed .
As part of this, I often need to talk to other care providers or the resident’s family members.
As with all homes, there is always the usual bench mark that needs to be done. We do encourage our residents to be as involved in as many tasks as possible.
There is quite a lot of paperwork involved in this job. I usually prefer to spend the last part of my shift working on this.
At the end of every shift,
  more... I have to write a report.(handover sheet) This report would tell other staff what’s happened during my shift.
As well as these daily reports we also, as a team, need to keep records of all the activities the residents have participated in, and personal achievements.
At the end of my shift, I would do a handover with the next staff coming in. We discuss my shift report and I highlight any issues that they need to be aware of.
Once my handover is done, I would go around and say goodbye to all the residents and the staff, before heading home..
Working in a community, you work very closely with others .
The work is not always easy, but the rewards are meaningful and it at times has brought out the best in me. The needs of the people i have supported vary, so its important to remain flexible, adaptable and positive in everything that i do.
Pros
You feel a sense of satisfaction, pride that your job has meaning.
Cons
this is a very rewarding field, however, it can challenge you, likely have to deal with a death, your patience can be tested, you will learn lessons about life that no one else could teach
High level of work place bullying.
Vocational Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Lonsdale, SA10 August 2015
Management structure is too top heavy.
Human resources don't appear to have workers best interest at heart.
More interested in real estate than caring for people with a disability.
Can not recommend Minda for anyone.
Pros
Nil
Cons
Bullying.
The people I worked with and the people I was there to help made this job
Personal Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Adelaide SA18 August 2014
Every day was challenging and demanding.
I learnt that the people I was helping needed even more help than they were getting.
Management had a lot of challenges they had to deal with because the government kept changing the rule and were the goal posts where.
The people I had to work with were committed to helping those in their care.
The clients could be extremely difficult to deal with.
The knowledge that you were helping people less fortunate than yourself.
Pros
Helping people less fortunate than yourself
Cons
Difficult and Challenging work