Monash University Employee Reviews

Profits over people
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Clayton VIC13 April 2019
If you are a ‘yes’ person, you will do well here. Management are generally cold faced, policy-driven and self interested, and contrary to a projected image, the environment is change-resistant unless a tangible PR benefit is present. In this way, it supports mediocrity more than innovation, and will use semi-unethical practices to keep boxed or even oust anyone who doesn’t conform.
Pros
Salary, work/life flexibility
Cons
Management, use of funds, ethics
Worst political environment
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Clayton VIC5 April 2019
Management protect their own, at the expense of employees. There is no feedback review process for managers, so they can get away with basically anything.
Contract Employee
Casual Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Caulfield, Australia27 March 2019
I was there only for 3 days as contract employee, worked as student consultation desk. Salary was as per Australian GOVT rule so no problem at all. Enjoyed working there.
Pros
Salary, Free lunch
Excellent work place
PA and EA roles (Former Employee) –  Clayton campus26 March 2019
Flexible working conditions, inclusive environment, great amenities. Professional advancement is encouraged. Active anti-bullying programmes in place, along with health and wellbeing initiatives (i.e. free weekly meditation classes).
Pros
Working conditions, 17% superannuation
great work team
UX/UI Designer (Former Employee) –  Clayton VIC17 February 2019
Great environment, cool team work , interesting project, good location, good work-life balance, good salary.
I enjoyed very much working with the multidisciplinary team.
Very good.
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Clayton VIC9 January 2019
Worked at Reception and Resources. I enjoyed my time interacting with people and delivering good customer service. Staff and students were very appreciative. I have good memories of my time at Monash University.
Productive and fun work place
Student Trainee (Former Employee) –  Victoria7 December 2018
Every day I learnt something new and was able to use this new information in the work I did.
I people are kind and wonderful to work with on a day to day bases.
hard work
Resident Advisor@MONASH UNIVERSITY AUSTRALIA (Former Employee) –  AU29 September 2018
As I said hard work beats everything the more you work hard the better you get and achieve more. I do however think that forcing people to fill up survey is definitely wrong.
Great place to learn about tertiary education
Group Manager (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC26 September 2018
Great leadership, great vision.

Academics (teachers) run the spectrum of overly entitled to true researchers and lecturers.

No or very limited stress on the job, no take-home work, nights and weekends are yours.
Pros
time, little to no stress
Cons
egos of academics
Good University undermined by poor management
Technical Officer (Former Employee) –  Clayton23 September 2018
Overall I think this is a good University. It is one well worth studying at. I would highly recommend it to any prospective student. I loved working there, interacting with the students and other staff. No two days were the same and there was always new and interesting things to learn. That's the good part.

This has all been undermined by poor management. The University is rife with chonisim, poor and corruption management practices and work place bullying. It is almost impossible to hold bullies to account there because the system protects the bullies. Too often, bullies are accompanied at using the system to avoid scrutiny and even try to paint themselves as a victim.

The University claims that they don't tolerate bullies. This may be true as an official policy, but the current system and culture makes it almost impossible to enforce.

I have seen and experienced things there that just about made my blood run cold. The cowardly behaviour that I witnessed there surely must have Monash turning in his grave!

Oh, btw, don't expect much help from the union. They are pretty gutless.

This could have been a really great place to work. The management culture has let it down.

Caveat emptor.
management dreadful
Tutor in Criminal Justice (Former Employee) –  Clayton VIC12 September 2018
I loved the students and teaching but managers were terrible. Constant undermining, lots of nepotism. All tenured staff so lazy, petty & mean-spirited
Pros
students
Cons
management horrible and incompetent.
good workplace
full time phd student (Former Employee) –  Faculty of Science30 August 2018
nice people,
open minded people,
multicultural area
A very enjoyable place to study and very diverse society
balanced in both academic, and organisational experience
Customer service
Student (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC2 August 2018
I love the place I work at but at the moment I have been wanting a career change at the moment. I'd love to find a job in something else since I need more skills
Pros
Free food
Cons
long hours and inconvenient place to drive
Great People, Exciting times in transformation..
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Australia, Melbourne18 July 2018
I loved my time at Monash University.. I recently relocated to the UK from Australia - initially worked remotely but now looking for something locally.

Great People!! Exciting transformational technology work being under taken!!
Always something new to learn
Part time 2 days a week (Former Employee) –  Clayton VIC17 July 2018
Excellent employer, enjoyable working environment. Good work life balance. Satisfying work. Always good team work. Was scope to progress at the university.
A workplace with diverse culture
Teaching Staff/Sessional Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC12 July 2018
This can be a good work place for anyone who enjoys working in an international environment where you can meet colleagues from around the world. Work load might be different for everyone depending on the tasks and position you have been offered at Monash. Academic jobs are in general pretty interesting and you get to interact with both students and your teaching team in a fairly relaxing way.
Solid Employer
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC12 July 2018
Good employment opportunity backed by a university with resources. Tends to run more like a corporation than a university in many ways. Solid salary and benefits. Great lab facilities.
Effective help given
IT Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  Clayton VIC30 June 2018
Considering I work here as a volunteer, they still do provide good help, with decent benefits. They always provide the assistance wherever it may be required.
It is a volunteer job
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Monash University VIC17 June 2018
This job is a volunteer job which is last only for 3 days.
Generally assisting new coming students in finishing the forms. Guiding the students to the dorms.
Tutoring
Marketing Tutor (Former Employee) –  Caulfield VIC29 May 2018
I met some great teachers and students during my time with Monash University. The work was challenging and creative and I was self-managing. My only problem with it was that I did not have enough time to devote to my PhD.
Pros
Great culture, challenging work, interesting workplace, good pay
Cons
Not enough time for me. Poor family/work balance.