Monash University
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Monash University Employee Reviews for Associate Teacher

If you are looking for a relaxing work place with nice places for you to eat lunch and a library for you to go and find your favourite books and magazines, Monash University would be a great place for you to work while trying to explore the campus and learn a little bit more about yourself and the next generation.
Pros
Friendly work mates, nice work place on campus & nice places to have lunch.
Cons
Marking can be tedious & there's no pay for casual staff during the break.
Excellent work environment. Almost all the staff are very much friendly and quite helpful. The safety is its first priority and Monash has a zero harm policy I believe. I love to work here.
I enjoyed teaching undergraduates and sharing my knowledge regarding MS Excel and VBA. The workplace was conducive. Moreover, the students were polite and willing to learn.
A typical day at work involved assisting secondary students with a range of study areas including chemistry, maths, forensics and other fun problem solving activities. The hardest part of the job as trying to manage teenagers especially trying to get them to concentrate and pay attention. The enjoyable part of the job was actually helping these kids learn a new thing or two. Just being able to give them that was a great feeling.
Pros
Fun working environment
Cons
The occasional disobedient kid
I teach mathematics tutorial classes. Each class involves spending two hours with the 20-25 students, working through the assigned problem sets. My focus is on their understanding of the material, and I use a variety of education techniques to achieve this. This role also involves prior planning and marking of assessments throughout semester. I am overseen by a senior lecturer who is there to make sure all the admin gets done. They are always eager to help out with any problem. The hardest part of the job is motivating students to keep going and not give up on themselves. The most enjoyable part of the job is that beautiful moment when a student finally "gets it" - I feel a sense of pride and achievement in my student and myself. It's also great when students heap praises on you in the Student Evaluation of Teaching forms.
Pros
Good pay, good support for teaching associates, being able to share your knowledge with students
Cons
Sometimes classrooms are not ideal, often students stop coming to classes, there is no career progression