Monash University
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Monash University Employee Reviews for Lecturer

Monash is an amazing university. It deserves to be held among the great universities of the US and Europe. I'm excited to see how it's reputation will grow over the coming decades.
This can be a good work place for anyone who enjoys working in an international environment where you can meet colleagues from around the world. Work load might be different for everyone depending on the tasks and position you have been offered at Monash. Academic jobs are in general pretty interesting and you get to interact with both students and your teaching team in a fairly relaxing way.
This is a typical university with excessive workload requirements and a lack of resourcing. As a G8 university, the business model is primarily focussed on research output which ultimately results in under-resourcing towards ensuring optimal quality in education output.
Pros
Rewarding working with students
Cons
Poor work like balance
Academia has become an excellent career choice to balance work and life as a mother of three young children. I have been intimately involved in the preparation of the students through the development of online content following a flipped classroom model. I am able to work remotely from my home and have learned a great deal from my colleagues, particularly around innovation. The most difficult part of the job is not being able to interact face-to-face with my colleagues on a regular basis.
A typical Day involved Preparation and Delivery of Lectures, Tutorials and repeat Tutorials, Consultation with Students and discussions with co-workers concerning anything from substantive law issues, to administrative and student concerns.The difficult time is always the marking phase, when deadlines require intense and continuous marking of assignments or exams in a short time frame. Also if you are asked to update or re-write course materials, particularly distance education material in a tight time-frame.Being up to date,and organised for your classes is essential.The most enjoyable part was definitely seeing students gaining an understanding of the subject matter, and the supportive environment of co-lecturers and administrative staff.
A typical workday on campus involves meetings with staff and students to discuss issues and individual and group learning challenges. A close working relationship with students gives me insiughts into their learming strategies and family situations and cultural background.As a longtime academic and having had extensive business experience outside academia I have much to offer.I do not have much interaction with management after contracting but regular meetings with other staff members and academics. The hardest part of my job is gaining the confidence of students who have abilities which are not being fully activated. Stretching student ability is sometimes difficult but in other cases easy. Seeing an increase in involvement and achievement by students of modest ability is very encouraging.
Pros
flexible work hours and good support facilities
Cons
end of semester pressures to complete marking and reporting within tight timelines.
In 1985 the school I was working for became part of Monash University. (All tertiary institutions in Australia then were publicly owned. There are now a couple of exceptions.) My school was Chisholm Institute of Technology, a classic "tramway tech" with 50% day students aged 18-20 and 50% mature-aged students, seeking to broaden and deepen their skill sets in the profession they practiced but for which they had no formal qualifications. CIT was considered the best computing school in Australia by an objective criteria: graduates on average found jobs quicker, at a considerably higher wage, than was the case with any other institution in Australia.Monash was a traditional "Oxbridge" model university, teaching theory with no practice. All teachers there had PhDs and no industry experience. The reverse was the case at CIT. This was a marriage built in H*ll, but it took a very long time for the practical to be crushed. I believe I was the last of the CIT academics to be booted. An early attempt had been foiled by a student revolt which I had no connection, beyond saying that I wouldn't mind.Teaching requires keeping lecture notes up to date and running a highly active discussion board open evenings and over weekends. In the different subject discussion boards featured a regularly updated FAQs I had build using sensible software, rather than the required product which didn't allow student anonymity, among many other things. I managed the tutors/TAs for each subject, meeting once a week and developed tute exercises with answers as needed. I spent some effort trying to get students - more...
Pros
the delight of working with students in a position my set of talents matched.
Cons
dealing with the oxbridge people, keeping the courses up to date.