Monash University
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Monash University Employee Reviews for Research Assistant

very good work environment with very good salary paid. highly recommend for people like working or doing research in a university
Monash University is a good place to work. It depends what role you are in obviously, I can only speak for my position. Remuneration is good, culture is good but depends on colleagues.
Nice work place. The supervisor give me great support on this research and help me to advance my knowledge of self-compact concrete and effect of impact load. I also learn the skill about concrete mixing, pouring concrete and grinding. Great work and research experience.
Monash University has a lot of rules, but, unfortunately, almost half of them won't make any sense to the very majority of people. "Yes, I also hate these stupid rules" - thats what all my colleagues kept saying. But of course nobody ever tried to complain. The atmosphere in my laboratory where I had an opportunity to work reminds of a high school, when you had to pretend you are not chewing a gum when you see a teacher or a principal, hide earphones in the hair etc. All of that and much more, like putting on a special glove when touching equipment because it shall not be contaminated, you have to do because otherwise anyone who sees you disobeying will immidiately tell about it to your boss and get a cookie for it. A system like that will never let anyone enjoy working.
Pros
Monash is widely known respected University
Cons
Unfriendly atmosphere, everyone is on their own
Typically I would work on projects either alone or with other students. I had a good relationship with both co-workers and supervisors and the work was enjoyable. I learnt a lot about data collection, data base construction and analysis and drawing policy implications from this analysis. Further to this I was an assistant lecturer. I would prepare material for my classes and enjoyed delivering the classes. The most enjoyable part was interacting with enthusiastic students
Never had any problems and workplace allowed the advancement of my research skills. Facilities are great and enjoyed the experience. Well remunerated for experience and knowledge of research area.
Pros
Great salary and research facilities.
Cons
Distance from Melbourne CBD.
Jobs at Monash University