Monash University logo
Monash University
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Monash University Management reviews

Clear
4.1Work–Life Balance

An excellent workplace

I did an IT contract for Monash during 2019. The staff were wonderful, the atmosphere being collaborative and highly team oriented. The management were supportive and just let me get on with what I know without interfering. Overall I'd go back there anytime they have an opening for my skillset. A great place to work.

Don't do it to yourself

Staff are over worked, skills under utilised unless of course management can manipulate you. Don't care about workplace injuries, wellbeing or any flexibility. They want robots not staff with ideas or initiative.

Pros

Non

Cons

Too many to list

Productive and supportive work environment

Great management, always something different, whether it was traveling to a research site or performing administration duties, all aspects were enjoyed. now that I am ready to return to work Monash would be a great location.

Caring and Productive

The environment here is awesome. Management and Coworkers are both very caring and hard working people, who are passionate at what they do. The hardest part of the job is managing a work/study balance with one's study because timetables may change at short notices. The most enjoyable part is definitely working with the people around you, and feeling like you're giving back to your community and making a positive difference to the world and the future.

Fun workplace and GREAT pay but insecure job security

This was a great place to work because it did not require a lot of time or have a lot to do, great management, great team. However like all universities they are always looking to cut costs and make money. So redundancy is inevitable. Still take the leap as pay is so good.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

Eventual Redundancy

Profits over people

If you are a ‘yes’ person, you will do well here. Management are generally cold faced, policy-driven and self interested, and contrary to a projected image, the environment is change-resistant unless a tangible PR benefit is present. In this way, it supports mediocrity more than innovation, and will use semi-unethical practices to keep boxed or even oust anyone who doesn’t conform.

Pros

Salary, work/life flexibility

Cons

Management, use of funds, ethics

Worst political environment

Management protect their own, at the expense of employees. There is no feedback review process for managers, so they can get away with basically anything.

Good University undermined by poor management

Overall I think this is a good University. It is one well worth studying at. I would highly recommend it to any prospective student. I loved working there, interacting with the students and other staff. No two days were the same and there was always new and interesting things to learn. That's the good part. This has all been undermined by poor management. The University is rife with chonisim, poor and corruption management practices and work place bullying. It is almost impossible to hold bullies to account there because the system protects the bullies. Too often, bullies are accompanied at using the system to avoid scrutiny and even try to paint themselves as a victim. The University claims that they don't tolerate bullies. This may be true as an official policy, but the current system and culture makes it almost impossible to enforce. I have seen and experienced things there that just about made my blood run cold. The cowardly behaviour that I witnessed there surely must have Monash turning in his grave! Oh, btw, don't expect much help from the union. They are pretty gutless. This could have been a really great place to work. The management culture has let it down. Caveat emptor.

management dreadful

I loved the students and teaching but managers were terrible. Constant undermining, lots of nepotism. All tenured staff so lazy, petty & mean-spirited

Pros

students

Cons

management horrible and incompetent.

Eastern Clinical Research Unit Management not supportive

Have been working in this research unit for many years. Culture of bullying and staff harassment is rife and management deal with this by making employees redundant or turning other employees against them so they eventually leave. Job security is non-existent as most staff are on ongoing fixed term contracts so we cannot speak out against harassment. Staff's personal & confidential information is discussed by management amongst other colleagues without their permission. Management turns a blind eye to any serious issues raised and simply start performance managing staff out of their positions aimed at discrediting them because it's easier than dealing with the problems.

Pros

flexible start and finish times

Cons

long hours expected unpaid, HR non-supportive, Management cannot be trusted, non-supportive

Jobs at Monash University

See more jobs

Excellent staff training availability

Excellent to work for, fast paced and forever changing days. From mail sorting, ordering stationary, maintaining databases, incoming phone calls from participants then you can be asked to format documents take minutes or look after reception as I said forever changing very interesting. Time management had to be key to work here. Other co-workers friendly and we all worked as part of a team. I found the hardest thing about this job was having to take on another co-workers position (PA) as well as mine when they were on leave. This was challenging and rewarding. I found the most enjoyable part of working there was the participant contact, I love to help and assist others. It was satisfying when the best outcome for all was achieved.

Very strict, not a friendly atmosphere at all

Monash University has a lot of rules, but, unfortunately, almost half of them won't make any sense to the very majority of people. "Yes, I also hate these stupid rules" - thats what all my colleagues kept saying. But of course nobody ever tried to complain. The atmosphere in my laboratory where I had an opportunity to work reminds of a high school, when you had to pretend you are not chewing a gum when you see a teacher or a principal, hide earphones in the hair etc. All of that and much more, like putting on a special glove when touching equipment because it shall not be contaminated, you have to do because otherwise anyone who sees you disobeying will immidiately tell about it to your boss and get a cookie for it. A system like that will never let anyone enjoy working.

Pros

Monash is widely known respected University

Cons

Unfriendly atmosphere, everyone is on their own

Work productively and keep work/life balance between working and playing badminton as sport

A typical day at work is receiving Jobs in the morning, schedule and action during the day. I learned new IT ideas and apply in everyday work. Adapted to new team work requirement and processes introduced. New ideas and knowledge are shared within the support team and work productively. The hardest part of the job is having heavy workload and meeting customer expectation. The most enjoyable part of the job is work well done and work recognition.

Pros

Have a great support team

Cons

Bad Management

Web Project Coordinator

This role involves coordinating with Project Managers, internal clients and stakeholders, content developers, and third party vendors in the design and implementation of websites as part of the Monash Web Presence Project. Key result areas and responsibilities include Business Analysis, Project and stakeholder management, writing and editing, and user acceptance testing.

Rewarding and satisfying interaction with students

A typical workday on campus involves meetings with staff and students to discuss issues and individual and group learning challenges. A close working relationship with students gives me insiughts into their learming strategies and family situations and cultural background.As a longtime academic and having had extensive business experience outside academia I have much to offer.I do not have much interaction with management after contracting but regular meetings with other staff members and academics. The hardest part of my job is gaining the confidence of students who have abilities which are not being fully activated. Stretching student ability is sometimes difficult but in other cases easy. Seeing an increase in involvement and achievement by students of modest ability is very encouraging.

Pros

flexible work hours and good support facilities

Cons

end of semester pressures to complete marking and reporting within tight timelines.