Monash University
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Monash University Pay & Benefits reviews

Australia86 reviews
I was a volunteer. You will get a good salary if you get a paid job. The people are really nice. Can get monotonous and stressful. It is a corporate environment. But the contacts you make can be really helpful
Pros
Good work atmosphere, great place to pick up new skills
Cons
Monotonous and very hi
Great place to work and the Workers are very nice!!!
there are very long Hours involved!
some free lunches. There are a few fun things in regards to Courses you can do!!
Pros
some free lunches
Cons
there are very long Hours involved!
This was a great place to work because it did not require a lot of time or have a lot to do, great management, great team. However like all universities they are always looking to cut costs and make money. So redundancy is inevitable. Still take the leap as pay is so good.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Eventual Redundancy
If you are a ‘yes’ person, you will do well here. Management are generally cold faced, policy-driven and self interested, and contrary to a projected image, the environment is change-resistant unless a tangible PR benefit is present. In this way, it supports mediocrity more than innovation, and will use semi-unethical practices to keep boxed or even oust anyone who doesn’t conform.
Pros
Salary, work/life flexibility
Cons
Management, use of funds, ethics
I was there only for 3 days as contract employee, worked as student consultation desk. Salary was as per Australian GOVT rule so no problem at all. Enjoyed working there.
Pros
Salary, Free lunch
Cons
Great environment, cool team work , interesting project, good location, good work-life balance, good salary.
I enjoyed very much working with the multidisciplinary team.
Good employment opportunity backed by a university with resources. Tends to run more like a corporation than a university in many ways. Solid salary and benefits. Great lab facilities.
Considering I work here as a volunteer, they still do provide good help, with decent benefits. They always provide the assistance wherever it may be required.
Although i was there for a short time. I had lots of fun meeting new people learning new things everyday. Great food service for during lunch time. Hardest about the job was leaving
Pros
Amazing people
Cons
Low pay
Monash University is a very reputable and well sort after place to work at. They have good systems and policies and procedures which help to guide the staff in the work place. My role as the clinic practice coordinator helped me to learn much about managing 6 various clinics and different personalities, which made my position both varied and challenging. Overall I enjoyed my role at Monash.
Pros
17% superannuation, with very good salary packages
Cons
At times the work place become very hectic which meant longer hours required.
Have been working in this research unit for many years.
Culture of bullying and staff harassment is rife and management deal with this by making employees redundant or turning other employees against them so they eventually leave.

Job security is non-existent as most staff are on ongoing fixed term contracts so we cannot speak out against harassment.

Staff's personal & confidential information is discussed by management amongst other colleagues without their permission. Management turns a blind eye to any serious issues raised and simply start performance managing staff out of their positions aimed at discrediting them because it's easier than dealing with the problems.
Pros
flexible start and finish times
Cons
long hours expected unpaid, HR non-supportive, Management cannot be trusted, non-supportive
As a research Scientist the work is what you make of it. It depends very much on your passion and drive. As I didn't work for the University as such (they administered my salary which was funded via a grant), any review I provide may be meaningless to professional staff (versus academics) seeking employment at Monash.
I teach mathematics tutorial classes. Each class involves spending two hours with the 20-25 students, working through the assigned problem sets. My focus is on their understanding of the material, and I use a variety of education techniques to achieve this. This role also involves prior planning and marking of assessments throughout semester.

I am overseen by a senior lecturer who is there to make sure all the admin gets done. They are always eager to help out with any problem.

The hardest part of the job is motivating students to keep going and not give up on themselves.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that beautiful moment when a student finally "gets it" - I feel a sense of pride and achievement in my student and myself. It's also great when students heap praises on you in the Student Evaluation of Teaching forms.
Pros
Good pay, good support for teaching associates, being able to share your knowledge with students
Cons
Sometimes classrooms are not ideal, often students stop coming to classes, there is no career progression
very good work environment with very good salary paid. highly recommend for people like working or doing research in a university
Great superannuation benefits but not as family friendly or workplace flexible as they pretend to be.

Overall experience was good
Never had any problems and workplace allowed the advancement of my research skills. Facilities are great and enjoyed the experience. Well remunerated for experience and knowledge of research area.
Pros
Great salary and research facilities.
Cons
Distance from Melbourne CBD.