Monash University
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Monash University Employee Reviews

Waiting to work for monash again if opportunity knocks. Good ambiance, good professional culture and nice induction training and everything is good to start your career with Monash.
Pros
Perfect place to work
Cons
Have been working in this research unit for many years. Culture of bullying and staff harassment is rife and management deal with this by making employees redundant or turning other employees against them so they eventually leave. Job security is non-existent as most staff are on ongoing fixed term contracts so we cannot speak out against harassment. Staff's personal & confidential information is discussed by management amongst other colleagues without their permission. Management turns a blind eye to any serious issues raised and simply start performance managing staff out of their positions aimed at discrediting them because it's easier than dealing with the problems.
Pros
flexible start and finish times
Cons
long hours expected unpaid, HR non-supportive, Management cannot be trusted, non-supportive
I enjoyed teaching undergraduates and sharing my knowledge witrh them. The workplace was conducive. Moreover, the students were polite and willing to learn. I am overseen by a senior lecturer who is there to make sure all the admin gets done. They are always eager to help out with any problem. The hardest part of the job is motivating students to keep going and not give up on themselves.
Pros
Good pay, good support for teaching associates, being able to share your knowledge with students
Cons
Sometimes classrooms are not ideal, often students stop coming to classes, there is no career progression
As a research Scientist the work is what you make of it. It depends very much on your passion and drive. As I didn't work for the University as such (they administered my salary which was funded via a grant), any review I provide may be meaningless to professional staff (versus academics) seeking employment at Monash.
Coming to work was always motivating. The environment was supportive, healthy and passionate, which not only made me enjoy the job but constantly encouraged me to do my best.
A typical day: go to office and work. What I have learned: I have developed job related skills- not specifying so as to maintain anonymity. Hardest part is : too much sitting. Most enjoyable part: job flexibility and learning and developing skills and problem solving .
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
1 year contracts
This is a typical university with excessive workload requirements and a lack of resourcing. As a G8 university, the business model is primarily focussed on research output which ultimately results in under-resourcing towards ensuring optimal quality in education output.
Pros
Rewarding working with students
Cons
Poor work like balance
Being in administration I tried something different in my life, considering it had been a long time since I tried something other than finance. I must say I miss working with numbers and administration on it's own has proven to be the hardest part of my day. The work culture is great and I have made quite a few friends.
Pros
Not strict
Cons
Not very busy
As a social sport staff member i don't have many shifts, and when i do they aren't long, however it's an efficiently run organisation that aid in teaching new staff the ins and outs of the workplace, and has a very positive and helpful culture
As a student it was some of the most enjoyable time of my life. They are a very supportive university and go out of their way to be as helpful as possible.
Pros
Studying is awesome
Cons
everything must come to an end
I enjoyed teaching undergraduates and sharing my knowledge regarding MS Excel and VBA. The workplace was conducive. Moreover, the students were polite and willing to learn.
A typical day at work involved assisting secondary students with a range of study areas including chemistry, maths, forensics and other fun problem solving activities. The hardest part of the job as trying to manage teenagers especially trying to get them to concentrate and pay attention. The enjoyable part of the job was actually helping these kids learn a new thing or two. Just being able to give them that was a great feeling.
Pros
Fun working environment
Cons
The occasional disobedient kid
Learning new skills and applying them to the job. Working autonomously and getting the job done reliably. Meeting new people. Customer Service. Team work.
Pros
enjoying the atmosphere of the work environment.
Cons
there weren't any
I teach mathematics tutorial classes. Each class involves spending two hours with the 20-25 students, working through the assigned problem sets. My focus is on their understanding of the material, and I use a variety of education techniques to achieve this. This role also involves prior planning and marking of assessments throughout semester. I am overseen by a senior lecturer who is there to make sure all the admin gets done. They are always eager to help out with any problem. The hardest part of the job is motivating students to keep going and not give up on themselves. The most enjoyable part of the job is that beautiful moment when a student finally "gets it" - I feel a sense of pride and achievement in my student and myself. It's also great when students heap praises on you in the Student Evaluation of Teaching forms.
Cons
The working environment is different from what I expected. It's usually a fast based workplace with the lot some orders to deal. The job holds with multitasking like taking care of the kitchen and other stuff nearby than accounting. So the job requires an individual to be active every time while working in this environment.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Allotted hours with more often delays
Poultry research nutrition,egg quality work, feeding cleaning and generally looking after the animals. Chem lab work measuring gross energy in feed and faeces to work out how much energy the animal uterliised. Making experiemental diets for projects. Piggery nutrition research through diet obtaining information to get more muscle and less fat as pigs grow. Lots of students and working with people from all over the world. Love working with people and the animals.Loved running my farrowing shed.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Pigs really smell hard to get smell out of your hair
This job helps me to develop my skills through continuous and deep study in my interested research area and provides opportunities to meet with world leading researchers in the similar research field.
A typical day at work would include putting through transactions, advising customers which items suit their needs best, taking care of orders, calling customers, answering inquiries via the phone, visual merchandising of stock, organizing stock on the floor and stocktaking. From this position I have learnt to listen to the customers needs carefully and also to upsale depending on the relevant promotions at that point in time. I really enjoyed working with my coworkers from all walks of life and different ages as I am a very friendly and co operative person. The hardest part of this job is that it is a casual position that is only required at the start of semesters. Unfortunately this does not provide a great deal of job security. However is still a great position as it gives me an opportunity to interact with people and practice my sales techniques.
very good work environment with very good salary paid. highly recommend for people like working or doing research in a university
Good work with good friends. There is not much else to say, it was a fixed period of standard work that i feel i completed to the best of my ability.
the daily activities included the design and deployment of events, integration and co operation of students and staff members.It was enjoyable to teach and learn from other cultures as the activities involved people from different nationalities.
  1. Employee Reviews