Monash University
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Monash University Employee Reviews

Waiting to work for monash again if opportunity knocks. Good ambiance, good professional culture and nice induction training and everything is good to start your career with Monash.
Pros
Perfect place to work
Cons
Day to day I would install and fault find cisco phones for the clients at the university campus. I enjoyed training users and the challenges that each fault would bring and would learn more about the VOIP system. I enjoyed teaching my co-workers about world of telephony as they had come from I.T backgrounds
Pros
Access to online learning, sports facilities, employee support
Cons
They are going through a great changes in staff and culture which has made people unhappy
Shower in and out of the facility. Cleaned out cages. Culled rats and mice co worker were fine
a typical day at work: email, student / office administration, I learned lots to improve on all my skills have a great manager great co-workers dealing with Punt Rd, traffic. see student Graduate.
Pros
good hours
Cons
finishing up
As a help desk Technician I provided the customer or end user with information and support related to the institution's products and services. The purpose of a help desk is usually to troubleshoot problems or provide guidance about products such as computers, electronic equipment, food, apparel, or software. We were mainly corresponding through emails and by Phone. In my role I learnt how to prioritize first contact resolution within a given time frame and to find a resolution. . My Co- worker's were friendly and very helpful. The hardest part of my job was managing 3 children and working full time although I did it. The most enjoyable part of my job was the flex ability to cross train and my Manger's and colleagues were great to work with.
Pros
Free training/ Activities networking free lunches
This role involves coordinating with Project Managers, internal clients and stakeholders, content developers, and third party vendors in the design and implementation of websites as part of the Monash Web Presence Project. Key result areas and responsibilities include Business Analysis, Project and stakeholder management, writing and editing, and user acceptance testing.
A typical Day involved Preparation and Delivery of Lectures, Tutorials and repeat Tutorials, Consultation with Students and discussions with co-workers concerning anything from substantive law issues, to administrative and student concerns.The difficult time is always the marking phase, when deadlines require intense and continuous marking of assignments or exams in a short time frame. Also if you are asked to update or re-write course materials, particularly distance education material in a tight time-frame.Being up to date,and organised for your classes is essential.The most enjoyable part was definitely seeing students gaining an understanding of the subject matter, and the supportive environment of co-lecturers and administrative staff.
A typical workday on campus involves meetings with staff and students to discuss issues and individual and group learning challenges. A close working relationship with students gives me insiughts into their learming strategies and family situations and cultural background.As a longtime academic and having had extensive business experience outside academia I have much to offer.I do not have much interaction with management after contracting but regular meetings with other staff members and academics. The hardest part of my job is gaining the confidence of students who have abilities which are not being fully activated. Stretching student ability is sometimes difficult but in other cases easy. Seeing an increase in involvement and achievement by students of modest ability is very encouraging.
Pros
flexible work hours and good support facilities
Cons
end of semester pressures to complete marking and reporting within tight timelines.
Writing and updating presentationsWriting Standard operating proceduresPresentations and practical trainingUpdating student data basesI Love training and presenting to people and increasing their knowledge.Through this position I have becaome vaery adaptable as a lot of administration work is required.
Pros
great work life balance
In 1985 the school I was working for became part of Monash University. (All tertiary institutions in Australia then were publicly owned. There are now a couple of exceptions.) My school was Chisholm Institute of Technology, a classic "tramway tech" with 50% day students aged 18-20 and 50% mature-aged students, seeking to broaden and deepen their skill sets in the profession they practiced but for which they had no formal qualifications. CIT was considered the best computing school in Australia by an objective criteria: graduates on average found jobs quicker, at a considerably higher wage, than was the case with any other institution in Australia.Monash was a traditional "Oxbridge" model university, teaching theory with no practice. All teachers there had PhDs and no industry experience. The reverse was the case at CIT. This was a marriage built in H*ll, but it took a very long time for the practical to be crushed. I believe I was the last of the CIT academics to be booted. An early attempt had been foiled by a student revolt which I had no connection, beyond saying that I wouldn't mind.Teaching requires keeping lecture notes up to date and running a highly active discussion board open evenings and over weekends. In the different subject discussion boards featured a regularly updated FAQs I had build using sensible software, rather than the required product which didn't allow student anonymity, among many other things. I managed the tutors/TAs for each subject, meeting once a week and developed tute exercises with answers as needed. I spent some effort trying to get students - more...
Pros
the delight of working with students in a position my set of talents matched.
Cons
dealing with the oxbridge people, keeping the courses up to date.