Moreland City Council Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
small but helpful team
Citizen Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Coburg VIC6 September 2017
The customer service team at Moreland was quite small, consisting of approximately 10-15 people on the floor at one time, and 6-8 counter staff at three council locations. A typical day would require resolving a wide range of complaints from Moreland citizens, transferring calls where necessary, discussing sensitive, confidential matters such as rates, fines, planning permits, complaints about neighbors, businesses, calls from emergency services and much more. The team was a diverse, close knit, supportive group, many of whom had been in their role for 20-30 years, so no matter what level of problem a caller was facing, there was generally an experienced member of staff to assist in resolution.
There were periods of high volume calls - such as happened after a high wind event or storm when trees fall across roads or fences. On many occasions I was requested to do overtime which I rarely refused (for the benefit of both the callers and my colleagues). My Team Leaders were supportive and approachable, there was a great sense of work -life-balance.
The most difficult part of the job were the times when callers would be frustrated or angry due to issues out of my control - for example other departments being unavailable & not returning calls after several messages & alerts had been left over a period of weeks. It was difficult to guess a reason the internal staff member had seemingly ignored the messages- and then to reassure the caller (who may have a costly builder waiting on a planning permit/ concrete pour etc) that the messages had been left & I had tried my best in
  more... this instance, and would continue trying for them- frustrating for both parties as continued calls to another department was not always possible in an inbound call environment (..something to pass on to management as out of my control!).
I really enjoyed my time at Moreland Council as I learned a great deal about the diverse range of services a Council needs to have in place to run a successful community. I was fortunate to be there during a local election, and maybe less fortunate to be there during the Çoburg Riot' period, which was nevertheless a learning experience! The most enjoyable part of the job was most definitely the diversity of my daily calls and the opportunity to assist many different people from many different backgrounds & experiences, in resolving issues that directly- and often very personally- affected them. My Moreland colleagues were a wonderful & supportive group in general which makes a workplace all the better!
Great people to work with
City development Business Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Coburg VIC6 June 2017
In my 3 years at working with Moreland City Council I have found to be a great place to work in. The environment is a friendly environment with caring and supporting people.
Supportive culture
Recreation Liaison Officer (Current Employee) –  Coburg VIC7 March 2016
I solve problems and provide customer service to sports clubs, ratepayers and stakeholders. I work closely with other departments within Council.
Sub contractor to Council
Project Manager, Creatives and ARIs (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, VIC20 January 2015
As Sub contractor to Moreland Council I have only barest interaction with everyday Council employment activities