Moreton Bay Regional Council Employee Reviews

Toxic workplace- really sad- seriously, do not work here
Senior Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Moreton Bay QLD13 June 2019
I was a supervisor at MBRC and it was horrendous. I felt sorry for the demands i was told to put on the staff who were all contract workers and feared losing their job. If they didnt keep up with these ridiculous workloads their contract would be terminated, leaving it a highly stressful and toxic work environment. To do the workload required you would have to work 24hrs a day and then some! This left alot of people having to leave on stress, getting fired, working extra unpaid hours, or just quitting even though they didnt have a job to go to! I was so glad to leave and will never ever go back, the place needs a complete overhaul.

The root of the problem lies with HR and upper management, who hide the details of the toxic workplace by outsourcing staff from contract companies. This ensures that MBRC never looks to be churning through staff in the way it is, and firing people is justified through the simple ceasing of a contract. This is unethical and unprofessional, and detracts from the service provided from the local community. Whats more, the staff members ARE members of the moreton bay region, who are completely ABUSED by the council and overworked, and then ABUSED by their fellow MBRC locals who treat them poorly because of their own disgust in MBRC. Its pointless.

The council aware of the problem, with literally hundreds of contract staff being turned over in a SINGLE YEAR, and still they keep doing it, because it saves them MONEY.
Pros
Jobs are easy to get as everyone leaves
Cons
Worst workplace i have ever worked in
Dont even think about it!
Kick bag (Former Employee) –  Petrie QLD23 April 2019
I worked here to my regret!
Management is incompetent.
Micromanaged by fools who aren't qualified to make a decision!
Advancement given to mates only.
HR is a joke!
Pros
Cons
Even the rats have left this sinking ship
Avoid. Inept management, poor training, no support.
Local laws officer (Former Employee) –  Caboolture QLD3 April 2019
Avoid this place like the plague! Lack of training, excessive work demands, unrealistic expectations of what can be achieved by following their processes and then they'll sack you for not achieving it. Casual employment through labour hire companies. Sackings are frequent and underhanded. It's a revolving door of staff in fear of losing their jobs and marched out the door. Save yourself the time and trauma and keep looking for a better place.
Pros
Nil
Cons
Too many to mention.
Corrupt management
Crew leader (Current Employee) –  Caboolture QLD19 March 2019
Corrupt management
No career progression
Frauding tax payers money
Worked there for several years and would not recommend.
All upper management are interconnected outside work.
Pros
Rdo
Cons
Corruption, bullying, management, harrasment, safety
Unprofessional HR management ruins MBRC
Employee (Current Employee) –  Moreton Bay QLD8 March 2019
A broken organisation due too a few people at the top. Low morale in all departments, bullying by HR and all staff in a state of constant fear.

Hard work and patience is often unrewarded with jobs given on personal preference rather than merit. High staff turnover.
Pros
Pay and conditions
Cons
Hr
A sinking ship
Something (Former Employee) –  Strathpine QLD21 November 2018
Would you like to be paid less than your colleague for doing EXACTLY the same job? - then MBRC is the place for you! It may soon be 2019 but here we like to do things the un-Australian way. We operate a 2 tier wage system and a choice of very short contracts that your mortgage lender is sure to love!

We also offer no REAL advancements because we'd hate to see you go.....thats how much we care. But we do offer lots of training. I say offer, but what i really mean is beg.

Nonetheless, we do have lots of in-house online mandatory courses which only serve to reduce our liabilities and insurance costs - we'll do our best to deliver these courses in the most patronising way possible......a bit like this ad!

Want to feel the love? We promise to Micro manage you on an hourly basis to make sure you're delayed as much as possible and then blame u for the delay - we think that's the best way some of our most expensive managers and coordinators should spend their time.

But wait! Apply for any of our positions and we'll do our very best to fill it with an expensive contractor or someone who is completely unsuitable for the role.
We like to get the most bang out of the rate-payers buck.....even if those contractors only end up staying for a few days. We do this by letting our personal beliefs get in the way of selecting a suitable and capable candidate who can serve the community well.

So, if you have no direction in life or are feeling unsupported, Good for you! You'll fit right in. You might be an asset, but we pride ourselves on making you feel like a neusaince child.
  more... Its just one of a whole host of benefits which sets us apart from the rest!

Know someone who works here? Refer a friend and we'll make sure to hire you too! Some people call that nepitism, but we call it inclusion.

Want to belong to a club, great! We have a range of cliques, internal politics and nepitistic clubs you can be part of, and best of all, membership is entirely free!

Our comprehensive support programme ensures every incompetent employee is rewarded with either a promotion or their very own team! After all, nobody wants a scene or to be performance managed, we'd rather ignore it and hope it goes away.

That's right folks, we're indifferent to the mass exodus and it couldnt possibly be our fault.......must be something in the water.

Oh!, did we mention that we like to fudge numbers to make things look like they're ok when they're not?

We've got it all!
Excellent work environment careing considerate of your needs business as well as personal
Indigenous Community Development Officer (Former Employee) –  Moreton Bay24 April 2018
Awesome team environment. great atmosphere excellent work home balance.
open dialog with management.
felt appreciated and supported
opportunities for advancement Got that feeling that you mattered and had some value
Pros
Excellent ballance work home
Cons
Contracted employment
Avoid. Avoid. Avoid
Worker (Former Employee) –  Regional13 April 2018
Whilst most people working here are great, the senior management and HR in particular are a disgrace. They do not support staff with issues, training, and are sneaky and under handed when it comes to dealing with staff. Make no mistake, people work here in fear. The Managers cannot make a decision for themselves and they tow the party line in fear. The place is currently on a staff reduction drive, breaking down wages and conditions and anyone of any value has left like a rat from a sinking ship. Such a shame for the organisation and for ratepayers.
Pros
None at the moment
Cons
Too many to mention, watch you back, trust no manager and beware HR.
Management don’t envy anyone with an opinion
Labourer Operations (Former Employee) –  Arana Hills QLD26 March 2018
This position was meant to be a turning point, a chance to excel and progress into a career choice. What I received was the complete opposite. I chose to come forward within probation and shed light on a particular employee that I had been stuck with who was breaking the councils “code of conduct” on a daily basis, reported to whom I thought would do the right thing by me and take matters further considering the severity of the issues reported. Instead within a week of reporting these issues I was handed a letter of termination a week before my probation period ended. This workplace is the most political back stabbing environment I have been put into. If you enjoy being unsure about the people sorrounding you and feeling as if as a new employee you have no correct guidance and enjoy being lazy then this is the workplace for you, say nothing, don’t report issues that have been there for years, let the stigma around the council remain and you will do just fine.
Pros
Rdo
Cons
Correct training, management, safety
Poorly management
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Caboolture QLD12 December 2017
Pros:- The actual work was good as were my teamates. My team leader was very supportive and was always available.
Cons:- However management above him was poor, totally lacking in communication other than negative, management not on the same page which impacted badly on staff, long term vacant positions, unreasonable management expectations what could be acheived in a day. Anyone that spoke up simply put a target on their back from vindictive managers. Pay is poor and does not reflect the responsiblity that staff have. The area where I worked saw a staff turnover of 40+ in 18months, for a unit that is supposed to have 30 staff. I would not recommend this employer to my worst enemy.
Pros
Work mates
Cons
Management & workload
Modern equipment and friendly team
Customer Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Caboolture QLD13 June 2017
Attending to enquiries in a modern workplace. Productivity and satisfaction with positive management strategies. Results seen in their smiling faces.
Pros
job satisfaction
Cons
lack of parking
Toxic place to work
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Margate QLD18 January 2017
Worked there as a labourer and recieved no support and very minimal training. The organisation as a whole is unsafe and dangerous I once saw a worker in a trench asked to do something outside the shoring and the trench collapsed on part of him then I watched the whole thing be covered up and it was made to look like it was his fault. So do yourself a favor and don't bother with this place.
Pros
Cons
Dangerous hypocritical workplace
Event Co-Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Redcliffe QLD22 October 2016
Great opportunity to learn many different skills and put them into practice. The event co-ordination was an enlightening experience where I learned that there are many steps in organizing an event and keeping it within budget
Horrible work culture & no management support
Council Officer (Former Employee) –  Strathpine QLD10 October 2016
I do not recommend working for this organisation as there is no flexibility, support from management or growth in your career.

The work culture is very dull & the company follows processes that are very out dated.

Senior Management & Junior Management do not support their staff in anyway shape or form.

I was micro managed by my supervisor who also lacked communication to his staff.

My department had such a high staff turnover.. A colleague advised 12 staff had filled my position within two years.

Once I put in my resignation management were unprofessional and didn't even acknowledge my prescence for the last week.

If you are a strong individual who likes to give an opinion to provide positive improvements to an organisation don't apply for a role within this organisation as your voice does not matter!
Pros
Salary... That's ALL
Cons
Management, flexibility, lack of support and training
Lack of opportunities for advancement pushes out young talent
Manager - Building Efficiency (Current Employee) –  Brisbane, Australia12 May 2016
A great place to work however I was not able to utilize my sustainability skillset as much as I would have liked. Project and contract management was heavily focused on and i developed these skills very well at MBRC.
Pros
Rostered Days off every fortnight
Cons
Lack of opportunities for advancement.
stable and secure employment
Wrighbridge Operator (Former Employee) –  Caboolture QLD11 May 2016
Working for Moreton Bay Regional Council was a stable and secure position, my working day was 10 to 11 hours in length, 3 days per week, and consisted of weighing and charging fees for waste dumping and recycling. During my time there i learnt how to deal with the public and commercial customers in a respectful way, how to handle cash and manage documentation etc. Management was generally pretty rigid in it's dealings with both the employees and customers.
My co-workers were generally flexible in regards to our working together.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with sly and devious, stubborn and ignorant customers and conveying this problem to management in a clear and understandable way.
The most enjoyable part of the job was nearly everything, secure, good team members, management ok, generally happy place to work.
Pros
4 days off per week, decent salary.
Cons
long hours.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Qsec/Caboolture Hub/ Redclife Hive14 March 2016
Work a lot on my own, so have not problem with fellow co workers. I enjoy the work heaps and the people in meet. They are willing to listen when you have a problem, and able to help finding a solution.
Pros
Work for personal achivement
Cons
Somedays are harder them others
productive
facilities officer (Former Employee) –  Brisbane, QLD27 January 2016
productive workplace with capable work ethics. management easy to talk to. timeframes could be hard to attain but learnt goodtime skills.
A surreal inversion of work ethics & traditional values
parks (Former Employee) –  Margate1 April 2014
If you value hard work, honesty, fair treatment and are accustomed to getting ahead in the work place by hard work & efficiency...this is not the place for you.

Moreton Bay Regional Circus supports the lazy non achievers who consistently undermine their work mates & act as informers to the supervisors. Save yourself the trouble...get a REAL JOB.
Pros
short travel time (where applicable & only if the don't transfer you to another depot)
Cons
Apathetic attitude of the supervisory staff
Very low morale with management displaying lack of respect for staff.
Coordinator - Facilities Services (Former Employee) –  Redcliffe, QLD29 January 2014
Completion of paperwork and compliance with internal process is viewed by management as being far more important than customer satisfaction.
Autocratic leadership style diminishes job satisfaction
Very capable and competent team of co-workers who are not able to contribute to their potential
Pros
wonderful diversity of workload - never sure what challenges any given day will provide
Cons
constant retrenchments results in remaining staff being overworked, unreakistic delivery expectations