Moreton Bay Regional Council
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Moreton Bay Regional Council Employee Reviews

Australia33 reviews
As I have left many years ago I do not know what the culture is like there now.
I loved working there, but was hard when due to amalgamation I was pushed into a job I was not suited for.
Pros
Lovely Team
Cons
Not aprieciated enough
I have nothing good to say about this council. Only recommendation is to stay right away! This place will destroy your career.
Corrupt Management who are overpaid and unable to do the job at hand. Human Resources not even capable of advertising a role!

No career progression, high turnover of employees (revolving door), backstabbing, the list goes on.....
Pros
Toxic Culture
Cons
Overworked, Underpaid
Training and career advancement is nonexistent unless your connected to someone in management.
The treatment of staff by management is disgusting with a toxic culture of bullying and harassment being a common occurrence.
if you want to work in a culture of lies and empty promises then this is the job for you, management are the most out of touch i have ever met, they do not care about their workers, they will never write any direction or promise down so they can get away with their bullying techniques, dirty slimy rats with no backbone
Pros
rdo
Cons
management
No career advancement - they never employ from within. Ideas are ignored and actively discouraged. No support. No encouragement. No positivity. No future. A culture of fear and bullying.
2 sets of rules old culture are okay, if new there they dont like you most people that have been there a while are threatened by new employees think that you are going to take there job, safety non existent all comes down to money, if they have to spend money on something to make it safe they wont, you only get overtime if you are in the old crew, unrealistic probation periods for labourers 12 months, they say they want to be like the private sector not a chance, they don't have any trust in there staff, always micro managing, alot of time and effort to get anything done there, to much politics within the council all money gets spent around redcliffe not other outer suburbs.
Pros
9 day fortnight
Cons
Wages, overtime, travel, management
All customer service duties.
All lifeguard duties

Many pool operations and maintenance

Fantstic work culture.

The most enjoyable part of the day was always the beginning greeting customers on a busy weekend, preparing the facility for safe water fun.
High staff turnover, staff working through thier meal breaks just to try and keep up with excessive workloads, very minimal staff training by existing staff who themselves are new and dont have the ability to train (and that includes team leaders), management provide no direction or support and not addressing the underlying causes of the mass walkouts and are quick to sack staff on very weak grounds. This place is demoralising and unpleasant.
Pros
Cant think of any
Cons
Poor work environment
I was a supervisor at MBRC and it was horrendous. I felt sorry for the demands i was told to put on the staff who were all contract workers and feared losing their job. If they didnt keep up with these ridiculous workloads their contract would be terminated, leaving it a highly stressful and toxic work environment. To do the workload required you would have to work 24hrs a day and then some! This left alot of people having to leave on stress, getting fired, working extra unpaid hours, or just quitting even though they didnt have a job to go to! I was so glad to leave and will never ever go back, the place needs a complete overhaul.

The root of the problem lies with HR and upper management, who hide the details of the toxic workplace by outsourcing staff from contract companies. This ensures that MBRC never looks to be churning through staff in the way it is, and firing people is justified through the simple ceasing of a contract. This is unethical and unprofessional, and detracts from the service provided from the local community. Whats more, the staff members ARE members of the moreton bay region, who are completely ABUSED by the council and overworked, and then ABUSED by their fellow MBRC locals who treat them poorly because of their own disgust in MBRC. Its pointless.

The council aware of the problem, with literally hundreds of contract staff being turned over in a SINGLE YEAR, and still they keep doing it, because it saves them MONEY.
Pros
Jobs are easy to get as everyone leaves
Cons
Worst workplace i have ever worked in
rather remain confidential re the Job and information about the following due to the trust issued with management and supervisors pay is the perk of my job
I worked here to my regret!
Management is incompetent.

Micromanaged by fools who aren't qualified to make a decision!

Advancement given to mates only.

HR is a joke!
Pros
Cons
Even the rats have left this sinking ship
Avoid this place like the plague! Lack of training, excessive work demands, unrealistic expectations of what can be achieved by following their processes and then they'll sack you for not achieving it. Casual employment through labour hire companies. Sackings are frequent and underhanded. It's a revolving door of staff in fear of losing their jobs and marched out the door. Save yourself the time and trauma and keep looking for a better place.
Pros
Nil
Cons
Too many to mention.
Corrupt management
No career progression

Frauding tax payers money

Worked there for several years and would not recommend.

All upper management are interconnected outside work.
Pros
Rdo
Cons
Corruption, bullying, management, harrasment, safety
A broken organisation due too a few people at the top. Low morale in all departments, bullying by HR and all staff in a state of constant fear.

Hard work and patience is often unrewarded with jobs given on personal preference rather than merit. High staff turnover.
Pros
Pay and conditions
Cons
Hr
Would you like to be paid less than your colleague for doing EXACTLY the same job? - then MBRC is the place for you! It may soon be 2019 but here we like to do things the un-Australian way. We operate a 2 tier wage system and a choice of very short contracts that your mortgage lender is sure to love!

We also offer no REAL advancements because we'd hate to see you go.....thats how much we care. But we do offer lots of training. I say offer, but what i really mean is beg.

Nonetheless, we do have lots of in-house online mandatory courses which only serve to reduce our liabilities and insurance costs - we'll do our best to deliver these courses in the most patronising way possible......a bit like this ad!

Want to feel the love? We promise to Micro manage you on an hourly basis to make sure you're delayed as much as possible and then blame u for the delay - we think that's the best way some of our most expensive managers and coordinators should spend their time.

But wait! Apply for any of our positions and we'll do our very best to fill it with an expensive contractor or someone who is completely unsuitable for the role.

We like to get the most bang out of the rate-payers buck.....even if those contractors only end up staying for a few days. We do this by letting our personal beliefs get in the way of selecting a suitable and capable candidate who can serve the community well.

So, if you have no direction in life or are feeling unsupported, Good for you! You'll fit right in. You might be an asset, but we pride ourselves on making you feel like a neusaince child.
 - more...
Awesome team environment. great atmosphere excellent work home balance.
open dialog with management.

felt appreciated and supported

opportunities for advancement Got that feeling that you mattered and had some value
Pros
Excellent ballance work home
Cons
Contracted employment
Whilst most people working here are great, the senior management and HR in particular are a disgrace. They do not support staff with issues, training, and are sneaky and under handed when it comes to dealing with staff. Make no mistake, people work here in fear. The Managers cannot make a decision for themselves and they tow the party line in fear. The place is currently on a staff reduction drive, breaking down wages and conditions and anyone of any value has left like a rat from a sinking ship. Such a shame for the organisation and for ratepayers.
Pros
None at the moment
Cons
Too many to mention, watch you back, trust no manager and beware HR.
This position was meant to be a turning point, a chance to excel and progress into a career choice. What I received was the complete opposite. I chose to come forward within probation and shed light on a particular employee that I had been stuck with who was breaking the councils “code of conduct” on a daily basis, reported to whom I thought would do the right thing by me and take matters further considering the severity of the issues reported. Instead within a week of reporting these issues I was handed a letter of termination a week before my probation period ended. This workplace is the most political back stabbing environment I have been put into. If you enjoy being unsure about the people sorrounding you and feeling as if as a new employee you have no correct guidance and enjoy being lazy then this is the workplace for you, say nothing, don’t report issues that have been there for years, let the stigma around the council remain and you will do just fine.
Pros
Rdo
Cons
Correct training, management, safety
Pros:- The actual work was good as were my teamates. My team leader was very supportive and was always available.
Cons:- However management above him was poor, totally lacking in communication other than negative, management not on the same page which impacted badly on staff, long term vacant positions, unreasonable management expectations what could be acheived in a day. Anyone that spoke up simply put a target on their back from vindictive managers. Pay is poor and does not reflect the responsiblity that staff have. The area where I worked saw a staff turnover of 40+ in 18months, for a unit that is supposed to have 30 staff. I would not recommend this employer to my worst enemy.
Pros
Work mates
Cons
Management & workload
Attending to enquiries in a modern workplace. Productivity and satisfaction with positive management strategies. Results seen in their smiling faces.
Pros
job satisfaction
Cons
lack of parking
Worked there as a labourer and recieved no support and very minimal training. The organisation as a whole is unsafe and dangerous I once saw a worker in a trench asked to do something outside the shoring and the trench collapsed on part of him then I watched the whole thing be covered up and it was made to look like it was his fault. So do yourself a favor and don't bother with this place.
Pros
Cons
Dangerous hypocritical workplace
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Moreton Bay Regional Council. Our community is ready to answer.
2.1