Moreton Bay Regional Council
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Moreton Bay Regional Council Employee Reviews

2.4Work–Life Balance

Archaic and Self Preserving

Stuck in the 20th century, lack of appreciation, lack of recognition, lack of respect, lack of diversity, sexist. Conduct your own checks; Mayoral resignation, senior management nepotism, a highly toxic and disengaged HR etc.

Pros

N/a

Cons

Low salary, overworked, underpaid, undermined

Devastating

Culture is pervasive and it's no secret MBRC has a toxic one. Unfortunately all the efforts to create a "better" culture seem to be entrenching the resident evils. We'll ruin your working life, but with a smile now!Apart from a handful of in-crowd sycophants there is nothing to expect here in career development or job satisfaction. If you're passionate and talented our service development team will harvest your ideas and a specialist or branch leader will be celebrated for your contributions. If you're of a minority group we'll wheel you out to tick diversity boxes on special occasions; but don't expect to feel safe at work.Those in management repeatedly refer to themselves as "leaders." This is a semantic red flag and what we actually have is a cohort of "managers" - understanding this nuance is important because management is what happens here, at a micro level. Forceful, unconsultative, inconsistent, incompetent, aggressive, fearful and mercurial - this seems to be qualities we look for in "senior leadership."We have flexible working conditions too, where we keep expanding our opening hours but refuse to hire staff to work them. What this means is that we'll pick out your easily manipulated colleagues and make them work those hours and use that to emotionally blackmail you into working them too. We won't pay you proper penalty rates for it though, no. Instead we'll spend over three years and astronomical amounts of ratepayers money in the courts trying abolish the Queensland Local Government Award! Don't you dare ask for a flexible working arrangement!Our shiny new -

Pros

OK pay

Cons

Ptsd

absolute abysmal place to work

I would not recommend anyone to go and work in the People, Culture and Safety team - an absolute terrible place - culture from management is exclusive, opinionated and disrespectful to say the least.

Pros

Cons

too many to even list

Poor culture

Not paid well enough for the work, a terrible workplace culture full of backstabbing, poor leadership and terrible training structure, I wouldn't recommend working here

Pros

Cons

Poor work culture

Corrupt Management - Never work here

The Regulatory Services, Local Laws is managed by inept utterly corrupt ex- police officers from the Fitzgerald throwback days. The culture of the department is utterly toxic. HR behave as they have the ordained right to bully employees and monitor them like maximum security prisoners. The most disgusting place to work. Some heads have rolled but the “independent“ investigation into multiple allegations of corruption and misconduct has lost potency

Pros

Cons

Disgusting treatment by Management

Toxic toxic toxic

I have nothing good to say about this council. Only recommendation is to stay right away! This place will destroy your career. Corrupt Management who are overpaid and unable to do the job at hand. Human Resources not even capable of advertising a role! No career progression, high turnover of employees (revolving door), backstabbing, the list goes on.....

Pros

Toxic Culture

Cons

Overworked, Underpaid

Toxic culture of bullying and harassment from Management

Training and career advancement is nonexistent unless your connected to someone in management. The treatment of staff by management is disgusting with a toxic culture of bullying and harassment being a common occurrence.

One place to avoid

if you want to work in a culture of lies and empty promises then this is the job for you, management are the most out of touch i have ever met, they do not care about their workers, they will never write any direction or promise down so they can get away with their bullying techniques, dirty slimy rats with no backbone

Pros

rdo

Cons

management

Don't Bother

No career advancement - they never employ from within. Ideas are ignored and actively discouraged. No support. No encouragement. No positivity. No future. A culture of fear and bullying.

Bad place to work

2 sets of rules old culture are okay, if new there they dont like you most people that have been there a while are threatened by new employees think that you are going to take there job, safety non existent all comes down to money, if they have to spend money on something to make it safe they wont, you only get overtime if you are in the old crew, unrealistic probation periods for labourers 12 months, they say they want to be like the private sector not a chance, they don't have any trust in there staff, always micro managing, alot of time and effort to get anything done there, to much politics within the council all money gets spent around redcliffe not other outer suburbs.

Pros

9 day fortnight

Cons

Wages, overtime, travel, management

Office and Kiosk Operations and pool operations

All customer service duties. All lifeguard duties Many pool operations and maintenance Fantstic work culture. The most enjoyable part of the day was always the beginning greeting customers on a busy weekend, preparing the facility for safe water fun.

Used to be a great place to work

As I have left many years ago I do not know what the culture is like there now. I loved working there, but was hard when due to amalgamation I was pushed into a job I was not suited for.

Pros

Lovely Team

Cons

Not aprieciated enough

Avoid unpleasant work culture

High staff turnover, staff working through thier meal breaks just to try and keep up with excessive workloads, very minimal staff training by existing staff who themselves are new and dont have the ability to train (and that includes team leaders), management provide no direction or support and not addressing the underlying causes of the mass walkouts and are quick to sack staff on very weak grounds. This place is demoralising and unpleasant.

Pros

Cant think of any

Cons

Poor work environment

Toxic workplace- really sad- seriously, do not work here

I was a supervisor at MBRC and it was horrendous. I felt sorry for the demands i was told to put on the staff who were all contract workers and feared losing their job. If they didnt keep up with these ridiculous workloads their contract would be terminated, leaving it a highly stressful and toxic work environment. To do the workload required you would have to work 24hrs a day and then some! This left alot of people having to leave on stress, getting fired, working extra unpaid hours, or just quitting even though they didnt have a job to go to! I was so glad to leave and will never ever go back, the place needs a complete overhaul. The root of the problem lies with HR and upper management, who hide the details of the toxic workplace by outsourcing staff from contract companies. This ensures that MBRC never looks to be churning through staff in the way it is, and firing people is justified through the simple ceasing of a contract. This is unethical and unprofessional, and detracts from the service provided from the local community. Whats more, the staff members ARE members of the moreton bay region, who are completely ABUSED by the council and overworked, and then ABUSED by their fellow MBRC locals who treat them poorly because of their own disgust in MBRC. Its pointless. The council aware of the problem, with literally hundreds of contract staff being turned over in a SINGLE YEAR, and still they keep doing it, because it saves them MONEY.

Pros

Jobs are easy to get as everyone leaves

Cons

Worst workplace i have ever worked in

confidential

rather remain confidential re the Job and information about the following due to the trust issued with management and supervisors pay is the perk of my job

Dont even think about it!

I worked here to my regret! Management is incompetent. Micromanaged by fools who aren't qualified to make a decision! Advancement given to mates only. HR is a joke!

Pros

Cons

Even the rats have left this sinking ship

Avoid. Inept management, poor training, no support.

Avoid this place like the plague! Lack of training, excessive work demands, unrealistic expectations of what can be achieved by following their processes and then they'll sack you for not achieving it. Casual employment through labour hire companies. Sackings are frequent and underhanded. It's a revolving door of staff in fear of losing their jobs and marched out the door. Save yourself the time and trauma and keep looking for a better place.

Pros

Nil

Cons

Too many to mention.

Corrupt management

Corrupt management No career progression Frauding tax payers money Worked there for several years and would not recommend. All upper management are interconnected outside work.

Pros

Rdo

Cons

Corruption, bullying, management, harrasment, safety

Unprofessional HR management ruins MBRC

A broken organisation due too a few people at the top. Low morale in all departments, bullying by HR and all staff in a state of constant fear. Hard work and patience is often unrewarded with jobs given on personal preference rather than merit. High staff turnover.

Pros

Pay and conditions

Cons

Hr

A sinking ship

Would you like to be paid less than your colleague for doing EXACTLY the same job? - then MBRC is the place for you! It may soon be 2019 but here we like to do things the un-Australian way. We operate a 2 tier wage system and a choice of very short contracts that your mortgage lender is sure to love! We also offer no REAL advancements because we'd hate to see you go.....thats how much we care. But we do offer lots of training. I say offer, but what i really mean is beg. Nonetheless, we do have lots of in-house online mandatory courses which only serve to reduce our liabilities and insurance costs - we'll do our best to deliver these courses in the most patronising way possible......a bit like this ad! Want to feel the love? We promise to Micro manage you on an hourly basis to make sure you're delayed as much as possible and then blame u for the delay - we think that's the best way some of our most expensive managers and coordinators should spend their time. But wait! Apply for any of our positions and we'll do our very best to fill it with an expensive contractor or someone who is completely unsuitable for the role. We like to get the most bang out of the rate-payers buck.....even if those contractors only end up staying for a few days. We do this by letting our personal beliefs get in the way of selecting a suitable and capable candidate who can serve the community well. So, if you have no direction in life or are feeling unsupported, Good for you! You'll fit right in. You might be an asset, but we pride ourselves on making you feel like a neusaince child. -

Get to work, hop in vehicle and drive to first port of call Cleanliness and good OH&S The leading hand was great The hardest part was cleaning up after the public and the best part was knowing I left a clean and safe environment

Pros

freedom to work alone 9 hr days and good pay

Cons

Casual assignment no chance of getting full time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Moreton Bay Regional Council. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.2