Myer

Myer Employee Reviews

Australia450 reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

Very friendly team members

Although systems are a little outdated, The people at Myer are super friendly and willing to share their knowledge. The office is a little far from everything else.

Pros

People

Cons

Old system, long hours

Fine but tough to get shifts

The job is fine, however if you're a casual, it can be hard to get a shift, even during the Christmas/New Year period and can go for weeks without working.

Good benefits, bad management

Good company, bad management. Good employee benefits 15% staff discount. Good brands. Shoe department was abysmal. Some management were too young and inexperienced.

Great job working with amazing people . Management are not very approachable. But overall would recommend if you want a part time job with a friendly atmosphere.

Hard work if you care

Such a difficult job if you care. Lots of lazy staff management struggle to see the big picture. You have great customer interactions but you can get thrown a curveball at anytime.

Pros

Nice people

Cons

Eshays and junkies stealing

Unorganised and poor management

I worked at the tea tree plaza store and it was honestly the worst place I have worked.The management is very poor, no direction, poor communication, the company is extremely unorganised and a absolute mess behind shop floors and in back rooms.I had no proper induction or training and no one was welcoming at all.I would not recommend to work here.

People are wonderful but management is horrible

Working in Myer is amazing because of the lovely people you work with but toxic management overshadows this causing a lot of stress on the workers. No communication between managers or team. You are just expected to know everything. Had some training but was basically just put on the floor to work on my first shift. As a team leader managers put a lot of pressure on you to basically do their job while they sit in the office and do nothing. Only other good thing I would say is that you are able to grow in the business and advance your career.

terrible . zero support from management

Absolutely no back up or loyalty from management. If you make a mistake they will throw you to the wolves and you will lose your sec license. They care more about shoplifters than they do employees and simply pass on shrinkage to the consumer. You could make ten arrests a day and still get no thanks or a pat on the back.

Pros

Cons

no support

Great team environment

The environment is very friendly and caring. Management are helpful and supportive. Other team members are welcoming and patient training you .Also you can wear clean black joggers in some departments which helps your feet.

Pros

Foot wear

Flexible hours

Working at Myer you are always busy and at the moment there’s plenty of hours available. They only employ people on casual contracts, so your hours can change in 24hrs or less notice so you have to keep checking your roster daily.Managers have very high expectations with little appreciation for work done, however most of the people working at Myer are very friendly and there’s a pretty good team spirit amongst floor staff.

Pros

Flexibility and always busy

Cons

Slow to update rosters, Managers are not supportive, Often have unrealistic expectations. Customer feedback reviews are unfair.

Interesting work where I am learning a lot

I love working at Charlestown store. Every team member I have worked with has been patient in helping me learn , collaborative and friendly. Management are always on hand to help, guide and serve customers via a phone call to ask for help. I find you are rewarded for hard work and a good attitude. I like that they put customers first , so have high expectations for us as staff representing the company standards and customer service.

Pros

Friendly and encouraging team members and Managers

Cons

None that I can find

relaxed workplace

myer is a relaxed workplace, worked over the xmas break, staff were very friendly and enjoyed working there overall. sometimes it can really boring, short shifts too

I enjoyed working retail. This is a good place to work if you are a student who needs to work. I worked over the x-mas time and I enjoyed it

Working in retail is just not serving customers. There are other jobs to do such as restocking, tidying up; picking clothes off the floor or hanging stock from the change room back on the racks, dusting displays. Patients is needed with older customers who may be confused or with customers who have a disability.I enjoyed working in my team. But like most places, you will get some lazy workers and workers who would not listed to you.Hardest part is when the store is very slow and there is nothing to do. Trying to look busy. Or your shift is cut short or your shift is cancelled.

Couldn’t tell you how many times I cried while working at this place.

The workers are amazing (for the most part) Management are horrible and expect you to keep your department under control at all times with 0 help most of the time. You will be asked to stay back if they forget to roster people on, you pay for their mistakes. Your short staffed majority of the time and when you try to call and ask for help from managers because you are overwhelmed with all of the workload of keeping on top of recovery, stock and house keeping all while serving customers who are wanting to purchase items, you’re simply just hung up on. The only access you have to your payslip is on a website through them that half the time rejects you and your login, resulting in you having to contact payroll. I asked for a physical copy and got told no. I took stress leave and got approved by a doctor and called my manager to confirm, but the pure lack of communication resulted in me being called and abused by another manager about not coming in for my shift after I had been approved for my stress leave?You’re constantly tracked on an app that they make you install to your phone and that you’re supposed to monitor at anytime even out side of work hours. Customers can rate you on your customer service out of 10 and leave a comment on you that you have to then open and read no matter how horrible and demeaning it may be. Anything lower than a 9 was considered a fail and you would lower your % dramatically. It’s a horrid system for anyone with any mental health issues because you are constantly told about your reviews and personal comments from customers. Horrible company, horrible -

Pros

A $10 staff gift card if you get ten 10/10 ratings from customers

Cons

Anything other than a 9/10 or 10/10 was considered a fail.

I love to work there.

This is a very good opportunity to gain experience in retail. All the staffs are really nice and friendly. But sometimes customers can be rude but needs to be dealt carefully.

Changed, not as good as it used to be

Short staffed, bad management, no stock , customer complaints.Management style has changed over the last two years, not as good or professional as it used to be.

The best environment to work in!

My time at myer has been a fantastic experience from the very start of starting out as a Christmas casual to now being a Manager I can say it has been an amazing journey the support I have received has been incredible and the people I have had the pleasure of working with has made it all that more special highly recommend working for Myer it provides many opportunities for people and I have loved every moment.

Pros

Opportunity

Cons

N/a

Toxic work environment with unrealistic and unattainable expectations

The department was exceptionally under-staffed for the level of work that was expected to be done, which would then result in being berated and belittled at the end of each shift. The culture was extremely toxic and negative with a lot of staff very much stuck in their ways and not willing to embrace new ideas. Sadly the culture and lack of professionalism trickled down from the top. Would never recommend for a friend to work here. I can't even bring myself to shop there now as I feel so uncomfortable after what I went through.

Sadly a huge let down

Besides the pay rate being the lowest in the industry, which didn’t bother me because I was finally doing something I loved. Sadly they have a habit of moving management around and I went from having an awesome manager to someone who had no experience as a manager, didn’t want to show me how to do anything, made my time at work uncomfortable and pretty much set me up to fail. I was a nervous wreak in the end.

A great place to Work

Salary is a bit below market but they definitely make it up by having a amazing work life balance and overall culture. A really positive and collaborative environment.

Pros

Cons

Salary would be a bit below market.

Fun place to work, the best thing is the people.

A great positive retail culture. I loved the people there and enjoyed my time. The management was supportive. The employee benefits was great and it was sad to move on to my degree related role.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Myer. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Myer with