Myer
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Myer Employee Reviews

The brand, Myer, is a great name to put on your resume. For the resume, it is a good place to work at, however, I must say, if you start on the wrong foot with the managers, the ending won't be as pleasant. Except for one manager, they are rather petty, so be on your guard. You'll get little to no shifts, and, trust me, they don't treat you all that nicely. E.g. insinuating that you steal items from the stock. You'll meet lovely coworkers there, but you won't get along with all of them, and that is normal. The staff discount is okay, could be better, like other brands. Job advancement is rather difficult if you do not have the right connections. Someone took over five years to get promoted, when people who are usually liked take less than two years.
Pros
Staff lockers, staff discount
Cons
No shifts, petty managers
Toxic culture. With bias management not based on performance,and poor communication. Most bad decisions, come from clueless head office, that weak store manager's blindly follow. No leadership, obsessed with turning sales staff into used car sales people,bullied into asking customers too many questions, that turn customers off.CompĂ ny like a cult,with slogans,not matching actions.Eg: Customer First - More like management first.Some co-workers were nice,sadly many two faced.A terrible experience,and not too big to fail.
Pros
Staff discount.
Cons
Really bad management, toxic culture, poor communication, and like a cult.
Great place to work and great team members, who were helpful in assisting me to learn the different processes in this job role. Most enjoyable is when you serve a customer and they are so happy with the result. The hardest part was over the Xmas period where you worked up to 12 hours per shift.
Pros
Fun, friendly team
Cons
long hours over xmas period
Workers are treated as an expense, and as such are given very little job security. Very difficult to work up the ranks. Myself and others have never felt fully accepted into the workplace.
Was worried about the job security long timeBasically it was fun year around, met great colleagues at work. Was enjoyable, great companyHelped me finish my degree of studies of HR degree from Edith Cowan University of three yearsI was hard working there and always made sure I was doing the right thing. I never got once abusive customers or complaints from anycustomer at all. Was great at all times. I never got any complaint from any staff member also. It was well mannered both from staff and customers at all times. It was a very calming environment and relaxed environment
I was working at Myer Brisbane as a Christmas casual. The staff was very friendly here, they are every supportive and help you how to do the things you do not know.
Even though I only work there for just a couple of months I can say that my experience was amazing. I had a very nice team leader who is very proactive as well and coworkers whom you could ask for help whenever you need one. Though this is a physical job I really find it interesting coz it's like you are having a daily exercise which is I really like. I definitely would recommend this workplace to a friend or relative.
Horrific culture. Every day someone is crying in the staff room or spending their break looking at job listings. Management are dismissive of safety concerns. I don't care how desperate you are for work, this is not a company that cares for you or its customers. Don't do it.
Pros
Nothing that makes it worth it
Cons
Extremely poor management, toxic culture
0 in person training / bad attitude from managers. Everyone miserable.Extremely incompetent & unorganised in all levels.Very low morale +embarrassing
Pros
Mostly no one spoke to me, if you are lucky you might have a good experience depending on your section and who you come across
Cons
No usernames or passwords they give you work from get go & can’t even log into a register, very low morale, rude and snobby staff, no training, everyone unhappy, incompetent management, embarrassing in front of customers
I was a Christmas casual at MYER and really enjoyed my time there. It was my first ever job, so I was a little nervous and overwhelmed by everything, but the more I worked there, the more comfortable and confident I became. The people who I worked with were really nice and I picked up many valuable skills from my time there. My favourite part of the job was working at the register because I found that time went by faster when I was busier and I enjoyed interacting with customers. I didn't love the break times because most of the people that worked there were a lot older than me, by at least 10 or 20 years, and they all seemed to know each other and didn't make an effort to talk to me, so I had to sit alone. Other than that, it was a positive experience, however I wouldn't recommend it as a first job.
Pros
Easygoing and engaging work environment
Cons
Not working with many people my age
The work itself is really good and the people in your team are really nice and super helpful but the online management was terrible. I experienced verbal abuse for not knowing specific things on my second day and received an ear full when I could not work a consecutive night shift. My co-workers confirmed that all casuals experience this from the online management and only those who have been working for a long time receive respect which I find super inappropriate and unprofessional. Managers are not welcoming at all and are never satisfied with your performance
Cons
Unprofessional manager
management need to understand staff bring in the bottom line not management sitting in the offices. Jobs for the boys are often the only way into management
Pros
staff try to support each other
Cons
minimal hours, "friends" of managers seem to get majority of O/T hours
Myer was an enjoyable workplace - the training was detailed extensive, the pay was good and the general work experience was fun. I mostly spent my time making personalised gifts or working at the cash register. The employees I worked with regularly were lovely and supportive. But it wasn't all amazing. I was an employee for 4 months but only worked during one month, I was never informed when my contract would be finishing aside from the month (management was uncertain when I asked), there were employees that were competitive and as a result, made me uncomfortable and overwhelmed at times. My transition to different departments (right before Boxing Day) was overwhelming and I felt inadequate as an employee. In general, it was a good experience and I did gain some knowledge as an employee, but it is not an establishment I would like to work at full-time or during the Christmas period (again).
Pros
Hourly wage, hours, training
Cons
Competitive co-workers, lack of communication with employers
No job security. They stop giving shifts one day and will never call you again. People and colleagues are great to work with and there is a good working environment but the bottom line is that there is no security.
Pros
Great Line manager
Cons
No job security
Pay is a little low, however you get so many shifts during the summer that in the busiest times you can make a decent amount of money/ quick cash. Good first job for people wjo have never worked/ or have experience. Management was very good and understanding. The best job I have had so far, I wish they had kept me tho lol, your contract finishes in February, unless you are kept (tough competition), but yeh highly recommend Myer.
Pros
Good management, work culture
Cons
Less pay, annoying customers at times.
One supervisor hated me. I suspect she doctored my punched-in hours so I was short-changed in one of my fortnightly pays. She would scream at me as a first resort- when I had just arrived and put my water bottle down where other people placed theirs, I had my handbag in my hand. She screamed at me to get my stuff out, even though I was clearly going to the locker area upstairs with my bag like everyone else. There was no set time for breaks, as it was updated on a social media work group that I was never invited to- so she would scream at me to go on break in front of everyone. I was told to fix packages other people had done badly, as if I had done it. She and her other supervisor friend would stand right in my way when I was packing items, slowing me down and making it harder to pack. Yet when we had one shift alone, I made a mistake when resizing a box. She had spent most of that time listening to podcasts and completely ignoring me...and of course she screamed at me for five straight minutes when she finally got off her chair. She never apologised, but when a colleague showed up, she spent plenty of time gossiping to them and actually working while ignoring me. The following day, my shift was at first cut down by two hours and then cancelled with no warning, even though I had already arrived and my commute was known to be long. I was put on shifts that began before public transport did, despite it being known this was my form of transport. I had to speak to a manager to finally change my shifts and this bullying supervisor and her friend still put me on shifts they knew - more...
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Supervisors and manager given a free pass for bullying
Casuals get little to no shifts during quiet periods. Mostly good floor management team. Store manager not great. Customers a mixed bag - some really good/nice understanding but often had some dodgy ones too
Pros
Sunday rates
Cons
Availability of shifts
As this was my first experience to represent Australian Organization, it was really good. I learned team management and the work culture was really good.
Love the Myer family , love the work environment, people are so friendly and it feel very relax to work there . I’ll recommend anyone who want to work in the retail industry Myer is the best departmystorw to learn
I Worked at Myer around Christmas time and it was very busy. However, my supervisor always showed up with good manners and an excellent attitude. Payments were on time and I never had any delays or problems with my work shifts.
MYER is a working environment that is very team orientated. Everyone must work together to make sure jobs get done when they need to. The workers are very helpful and encouraging to do their best
  1. Employee Reviews