Myer Employee Reviews

Great learning experience, terrible place to do it in
Christmas Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Myer25 August 2018
Absolutely the worst place to go to if you're a student who is new to the work life. Being a Christmas Casual itself is not bad, however choosing where you want to be a casual is very important. I do not prompt you to work at Myer as a Christmas Casual as there was passive aggressive employers, unorganised workmenship, lack of empathy and a lack of understanding. You were literally shoved into an environment by yourself. I do not recommend it at all. They don't give you a name tag in the beginning, they do not explain your pay or how any of the technical stuff works (pay, username and password), they shove you into whatever department (even after specifying you want to do this _), little to no explanations etc.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Worst place work in as a teenager on their first job.
Amazing work atmoposhere
Customer Service Representative (Casual) (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW7 October 2018
What I learnt the most during my casual work with Myer is how to deliver not only the company but also myself to the customers. I was taught how to effectively and efficient communicate with customers and how to create a sales mindset in order to generate revenue for the company. The management alongside to the work force we're comforting whilst I was in my training phase. They helped me to understand the hard parts about the job and how to channel my focus no being a better sales person. The hardest part of the job was that it was out of my comfort zone as it was my first time in sales. However, it was also the most enjoyable part as it allowed me to further my growth as not only a worker but as a person.
Not good for people looking for a serious job or career.
ELECTRICAL SALESPERSON / STOREMAN (Current Employee) –  Mackay QLD25 April 2018
I do not recommend working here unless you want to be stuck in a dead end job. No training will be provided. No progression unless your butt kissing management. if looking for a serious job, look elsewhere. I have worked here for nearly 6 years and have had no training offered by Myer, only training offered by third parties. Only managers get consistent hours, rest of the staff have to fight it out for what they can get. Every year they hire xmas casuals that we do not need and regular staff hours drop further. They offer little support for staff and the benefits are minimal.
Pros
staff discount.
Cons
poor communication, procedures are not consistent.
Very Stressful environment to work in
Casual Employee (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC30 November 2018
Worst Job ive had in years, very high pressure and stressful job environment from mangers with staff constantly stressed.
Not a nice environment to work in with many staff constantly overworked.
Constant bullying by many team members and nasty comments made about others on a day to day basis.
Overall no support or care from managers who just see you as another number.
Cons
Long hours, nasty staff.
Christmas Casual
Christmas Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Geelong VIC28 August 2018
I started off working at Myer as a Christmas Casual which then lead me to an on-going position. Myer is not like other retail businesses. Expect little to no training when it comes to the products you are selling. I would not recommend students going into Myer as it is a very upper class and snooty environment not only from the customers but from the staff. I found that the workplace culture was not inviting at all. Staff discount is pathetic at 15% which equates to barely anything when everything within the store is over priced.
Pros
Not much but 15% discount
Cons
Challenging but good learning experience
Part-Time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chermside QLD15 July 2018
Minimal staff so the ability to multitask was essential.
Quiet days were slow and alot was able to be accomplished, e.g. merchandising, maintaining store presentation.
Busy days were physically and mentally demanding but it was good.
Some staff were lazy and didn't pull their weight while other staff members did everything and got little appreciation.
Pros
Staff discount, most of management were empathetic and understanding, relaxed workplace
Cons
Alot of running around and cleaning up after customers
Well known Australian Department Store with many years Reputation to Uphold
Skincare and Make-up Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toowoomba QLD13 November 2018
Having worked for Myer at three different times of my life over a 30 year period, and having been a Myer customer for even longer, I can honestly say that the level of service in Myer, the quality of goods stocked and the satisfaction of customers has dropped quite significantly, particularly in recent years, most notably the last 10.
I feel that the Management are expected to achieve results that are unattainable in today's Retail Climate.This pressure is then being passed on to Staff and creates a rather stressful workplace environment if those expectations are not being met.
The hardest part of the job is constantly being on your feet and being allowed such short breaks or none at all depending on the length of your shift, and therefore not being able to eat or drink adequately at times.
The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely customer satisfaction and returning customers asking for you by name. Christmas is a lovely time and being able to help a customer choose a special gift is rewarding.
Pros
staff discount and well known brands
Cons
understaffing to the point of losing customers, frequent customer complaints, increase in theft; unapproachable managers, unskilled and underqualified staff being hired
Ugly culture
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Qld12 November 2017
Myer does not foster a culture of looking after their employees. It’s very much a company that promotes based on who you know. As a senior manager within a store, it was frustrating to work with & expected to coach incompetent people who appointed based on their young age & their ability to talk the talk.
I had a long career with Myer & left due to no career path, no recognition for a job well done & the lack of performance management for senior leaders.
Pros
The people you work with
Cons
Long hours, remuneration not comparable, no career path
Amazing work experience
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  Preston VIC24 November 2018
I worked here for work experience since my school required students to complete at least one week of it. and I honestly loved it so much due to the culture and the environment of myer made everything so enjoyable. definitely would want a job there
Productive and enjoyable work environment.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC3 September 2018
MYER is a fun and engaging job, with excellent management, flexible hours and good rewards.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the fellow employees and the biggest negatitive is that during the middle of the year, available hours are few
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Repetitive Work
Great work/life balance, friendly staff.
Senior Planning & Documentation & Team leader (Former Employee) –  Docklands Melbourne Vic3 April 2018
The Myer Support Office has a great Team culture, Professional Management, a Safe working environment and a continuance of ongoing work. The internal and external suppliers and consultants are equipped with the latest innovations to provide for a customer friendly experience in the retail industry.
Fun place to learn and grow
IT Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Docklands VIC21 August 2018
Great team members to interact with, they are helpful in case of any facing any hindrances in the work. Team members are willing to help you learn the aspects related to the work.
Pros
Learning Retail Business
Cons
Low Salary
productive people brought down by a shameful company
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC 30002 April 2018
work life is great but they just stop giving shifts to people because of over hiring. environment was fun and i developed a great knowledge working there but the job security is non existent.
Company that is behind the times with biased management
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW29 April 2018
Company behind the times with poor VM standards and out of date management
No guarantees with hours and an unfair performance indicator that is solely based on sales through registers not other tasks performed.
Staff and management have very little positive interaction
Pros
Met wonderful customers and made lasting friendships
Cons
Less than average pay and a company that expects Work to come before family
just selling
SALES& COUNTER SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  myer sydney city8 April 2018
selling, Customer service
Proccessing the sale, processing layby and gift card, returns

I learnes every thing you serve every customers

The worth mangement and still one of the worth in the contry

some people pretend to work and some people working hard and both get same salary ,

Just working for myer the hardest part

the end of the day that the best part in my job in myer
Pros
never
Cons
always for one stage you can work 10 dayes a week without day off with full time hours not fair
Working in Myer
Casual Sale Team Member (Former Employee) –  Morley WA29 May 2018
I have learnt my customer service skill in this role
The management team was great although super busy
The most enjoyable part of this job is to able to help customers meeting their requirements
Concession team member(Part time) (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW18 April 2018
Good pay,flexible hours. Also scope of getting good shifts. Sometimes there can be long standing period but that is part of the job. Management is nice and there are good training opportunities.
Pros
good hours and pay
Cons
long standing period
Fun place to work, with down to earth people.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Perth WA2 November 2018
This was a busy place to work (Online) but I loved it because it was hands on and everyone was nice, so it was easy to talk to people. I liked the fact that everyone came from a different background and you could really see the behind the sences of your online packages being prepared before it was sent off.
Pros
The team works
customer service
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC15 May 2018
As Myer has had a culture change since I worked there i can only comment on previous years. Myer gave me great experiences dealing with managers and customers and opportunity to do training
Learning
Retail& fitter staff (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW6 November 2018
You can learn about how to manage a situation by yourself. It will give you a good training but you will not have a balance of life. You will learn a lot from having a different customer from different places with different inquiries.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Myer. Our community is ready to answer.