Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Myer Employee Reviews

Australia395 reviews
Casuals get little to no shifts during quiet periods. Mostly good floor management team. Store manager not great. Customers a mixed bag - some really good/nice understanding but often had some dodgy ones too
Pros
Sunday rates
Cons
Availability of shifts
No job security. They stop giving shifts one day and will never call you again. People and colleagues are great to work with and there is a good working environment but the bottom line is that there is no security.
Pros
Great Line manager
Cons
No job security
Pay is a little low, however you get so many shifts during the summer that in the busiest times you can make a decent amount of money/ quick cash.
Good first job for people wjo have never worked/ or have experience. Management was very good and understanding. The best job I have had so far, I wish they had kept me tho lol, your contract finishes in February, unless you are kept (tough competition), but yeh highly recommend Myer.
Pros
Good management, work culture
Cons
Less pay, annoying customers at times.
One supervisor hated me. I suspect she doctored my punched-in hours so I was short-changed in one of my fortnightly pays. She would scream at me as a first resort- when I had just arrived and put my water bottle down where other people placed theirs, I had my handbag in my hand. She screamed at me to get my stuff out, even though I was clearly going to the locker area upstairs with my bag like everyone else. There was no set time for breaks, as it was updated on a social media work group that I was never invited to- so she would scream at me to go on break in front of everyone. I was told to fix packages other people had done badly, as if I had done it. She and her other supervisor friend would stand right in my way when I was packing items, slowing me down and making it harder to pack.
Yet when we had one shift alone, I made a mistake when resizing a box. She had spent most of that time listening to podcasts and completely ignoring me...and of course she screamed at me for five straight minutes when she finally got off her chair. She never apologised, but when a colleague showed up, she spent plenty of time gossiping to them and actually working while ignoring me.

The following day, my shift was at first cut down by two hours and then cancelled with no warning, even though I had already arrived and my commute was known to be long. I was put on shifts that began before public transport did, despite it being known this was my form of transport. I had to speak to a manager to finally change my shifts and this bullying supervisor and her friend still put me on shifts they knew
 - more...
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Supervisors and manager given a free pass for bullying
As this was my first experience to represent Australian Organization, it was really good. I learned team management and the work culture was really good.
Love the Myer family , love the work environment, people are so friendly and it feel very relax to work there . I’ll recommend anyone who want to work in the retail industry Myer is the best departmystorw to learn
I Worked at Myer around Christmas time and it was very busy. However, my supervisor always showed up with good manners and an excellent attitude. Payments were on time and I never had any delays or problems with my work shifts.
MYER is a working environment that is very team orientated. Everyone must work together to make sure jobs get done when they need to. The workers are very helpful and encouraging to do their best
Stressful , little staff, unrealistic expectations, little praise.
It’s who you know not what you know. The harder you work the less you succeed. You do make long term friends. If a group of people that work together get along, usually that team of people would be split up.
Pros
Big company
Cons
Stressful and little support
I enjoyed working at Myers, I worked upstairs and sometimes down stars behind the cash register and on the floor sorting item. I met a lot customers on a one on one basis and managed to sell them what they were looking for.
I worked at Myer during the busy Christmas time of year
I loved working with customers and assisting their needs

I was always busy with registers /refunds and exchange

Plus making sure the shelves were fully stocked and looking nice
Satisfying position as a customer assistant helping customers with their needs and maintaining a pleasant working environment for co-workers and customers. A very friendly place to work with colleagues and meeting new people.
amazing people to work with. managers are always understanding and really kind. never made to feel out of place. great job to gain retail experience..
Very happy to be part of Myer. Typical day of work is not stressful. I have learned work culture, team management, retail experience. Friendly team, stress free job.
Great people and approachable fun management. Also a great workplace to begin your professional career within due to the experiences they offer.
Very fast paced and at times expected to juggle way too many priorities that it became unrealistic to meet everyone's expectations.

Very poor pay.
I worked in online orders and on the floor, online orders was fun and a challenge, the floor could be very stressful at times dealing with customers and boring if you were put in a quiet area but overall a good experience.
Interacting with customers is the best part of the day, as you encounter
people from all walks of life. Our product range and brands are always evolving. The team culture is interactive and pleasant. The management team is supportive and oversees the business adequately. I rarely have a bad day.
I learnt so much whilst being at Myer and have gained so much confidence with serving customers. Management is amazing as they understand you have a personal life outside of work (school, studying etc) and do cater to that in terms of shifts.

It is honestly a great work environment as most of the staff are friendly and I've made multiple friends whilst working there. Almost both staff and management are always willing to help you if you're stuck or don't know what to do which is great.

In terms of shifts you do get a boat load during busy sale times such as mothers/fathers day, christmas, easter etc. But it does tend to die down during the fall/winter time to which you don't get many shifts but if you do call or show interest in working they do take that into consideration and give you shifts when they need you.

It is overall a great place to work!
Working at Myer has made me grow into a more confident, motivates experienced individual, the only downfall to working there was that there was never enough hours.
Since this industry works in a very faced-environment, you are constantly busy with item put-backs, helping with customers or assisting with the Hub for other extra activities.
Staff discounts are great. There is more to it than just folding clothes and serving customers... Some days such as public holidays can be very intense however you will come to understand the nature of retail and turn it in to an enjoyable working environment regardless. Very hard to grow within the company as well.. also lack of support from management as they are too busy focusing on other things...