NAB - National Australia Bank Employee Reviews

Negative toxic culture
Business credit analyst (Current Employee) –  Parramatta NSW18 June 2019
Culture is toxic and quite negative focus on guilty until proven otherwise. no career advancement. Management that focuses on extreme micro management, they should move on wih the times. strong arm tactics and psyscological bullying is rife. Dont work for NAB unless you want to work in a childrens enviroment enshrined by management.
Pros
Fellow colleagues
Cons
Management, systems
A place where you can grow yourself as a person and industry professional with the helps from your seniors and colleagues
Associate- Corporate Investment Tax Services (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC14 June 2019
You come to work and get everything set, you know it's a good day.
I have learnt more than I thought with the works I have done during the time there.
Management is just like other corporations.
You get to work from home sometimes, and it is super flexible that you can just go to other buildings and work with your laptop, as long as you have the wifi connected.
The hardest part of the job is that you will come across some critical business events where you are not prepared for, it takes time to get those issues resolved.
It is the end of the day, and sometimes doing reporting is fun and you just don't want to stop.
Pros
Team lunch
Cons
System errors
Enjoyable selling environment
Telesales and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC14 June 2019
Enjoyable selling environment, mainly concentrating on life insurance and credit card insurance. It was a fun job but not too lucrative. I enjoyed my time there and won new rookie award but I enjoyed Medibank more because of the culture.
Pros
learning more about how to sell life insurance - touchy subject
Cons
very competitive - not many collegueas sharing ideas
Productive and Friendly workplace.
SALES EXECUTIVE (Former Employee) –  Perth3 June 2019
A workplace that never get bored. Always ready to help and cheerful environment. Never discriminate and always on the dock to help our customers in their financial difficulties.
NAB & Table Tennis
Service Banker (Former Employee) –  Docklands VIC30 May 2019
I loved the fact that there was almost a table tennis table on each floor, great way to burn bum fat after setting down for too long.
;). Great place to work for, lacked a some organisational preparation to ease new comers to flow into the work place. but great place.
Not a great culture
Financial Planner (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW26 May 2019
Due to business changes, culture has been negative and impacts everyone from newcomers to experienced employees. Support is unstable also with lack of certainty.
Career Advancement Oppertunities
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Brisbane QLD22 May 2019
Fast paced and varying with plenty of opportunity to carve a career in the banking and finance sector if you are results focused and motivated.
Unfortunately technology is not a strong point and operational systems let them down.
This work place is full of employees who are passionate about customer service and making things better for the business.
Pros
Internal Training and development oppertunities
Cons
Overtime is expected and not paid if required
bad management
Senior Quality Analyst - Financial Crime Services (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC14 May 2019
the management is really bad and disorganized. good work place culture and a good team but you really do not know what you are supposed to do in the day till you get to work
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
management
Bullied by a manager
Analyst Programmer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC3 May 2019
During my stay at NAB, I was bullied by management. I was treated like a second class citizen and was provided no training, support, or work. I was given no guidance and told I was "underperforming" with no explanation as to how. This was the result of me not attending a few team events which lead to management holding a grudge.
Pros
Big name on CV
Cons
Too much change all at once
Architect (Former Employee) –  700 Bourke, Melbourne30 April 2019
Was recently at NAB 2018 and they're still doing a 3 year change program, which they're apparently near the end of. Worked in Strategy & Architecture with a new boss who arrived near the end of the year. Unfortunately no improvement over previous one who really didn't care about the people on his team. With all the change, people are all too ready to throw others under the bus and a consistent criticism of NAB (which I experienced) was that you get no support from your management. They have a horrendously low employee engagement figure (way below other banks) and it's clear why. My advice? Steer clear...
Pros
700 Bourke is an amazing building & people I worked directly with were great
Cons
Total lack of management support and low employee engagement
Very vibrant workplace and great team culture.
Call centre Assisting customers (Former Employee) –  Rhodes NSW23 April 2019
NAB was a great place to work. Great culture and great team building. Great employee incentives.
Management was not the best at my time in the Contact Centre, however, overall a great place to work.
Pros
Employees rewards scheme
Cons
Rotating roster
Culture is abysmal, highly dependent upon departmental heads
Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC29 March 2019
I worked for NAB for five+ years, receiving ‘Outstanding’ reviews and stakeholder awards for my performance. At the end of a 3 year secondment, my new manager requested HR approve me being placed on Performance Management due to a diagnosis I shared with her (as I had my previous manager) before I reported to her. HR refused her request but concocted a plan by which I’d be systematically forced out, commencing with a demand to speak to my specialist on demand.

They based this demand on the terms of the standard contract which theoretically enabled them to make the demand even though no performance issues pertaining to me were alleged and none were ever documented.

Multiple times daily for over six months I was told she’d observed “fits of confusion” despite no such event ever taking place. I was publicly abused for my partial deafness.

Yet our stakeholders praised my performance as exemplary and she suppressed nominations for awards they’d made and formally requested that my manager be replaced.

Long story short, I was dismissed eight months later on entirely false pretences via an email sent, without any warning, after 4pm on a Friday afternoon; an email which concluded with the “reminder” that I remained eligible for their Employee Assistance Program which was “accessible 9am-4pm Monday-Friday”. NAB knowingly defrauded me of accumulated time-in-lieu and other benefits.

On legal advice, I agreed to settle for the then maximum 22 weeks’ compensation at Fair Work Australia which NAB, despite being obliged to pay in full within 14 days, then took three months to
  more... remit and, even then, deducted tax at the full rate rather than the correct ETP rate.

While there are many very good and talented people at NAB with whom I remain close, the cancerous culture exposed at the Banking Royal Commission is endemic and there’s no lie that NAB won’t tell to avoid liability.

By way of example, NAB denied receiving medical reports and other documentation (including that which they’d acknowledged receiving before Fair Work Australia) pursuant to a compensation claim despite them being sent via registered mail and formal receipts being tendered in proof; NAB staff knowingly abused their status as a Self-Insurer to simply delay and deny responsibility.

As an organisation, NAB is regressive and cancerous to the core.
Pros
Many fine and talented colleagues, flexible working hours
Cons
Annual performance system enables middle management corruption, few disincentives to sociopathic middle managers, systems are old, failing and difficult to change.
Fun Professional workplace with great employees and management
BANK TELLER (Former Employee) –  Aitkenvale QLD28 March 2019
I working a routine everyday from testing the alarms counting the cash draws and processing ATM deposits ect, I found this helpful to know what my task were and when to do complete them before the day began. I learned how to interact with people on a daily basis and my phone manner improved I became confident and took pride in my work. I enjoyed working at the NAB and with the people within the company, I felt the positivity and enthusiasm that they all projected to me.
The hardest part of the job would be having unhappy customers or making mistakes with your customers enquiries because it affects the way you're doing your job and makes you feel negative about you performance.
The most enjoyable part of the job is volunteering for local clubs during Christmas whether selling Fruit cakes to raise money or wrapping gifts for the public.
Pros
A decent break time, Fun working environment, supoort and help form co-workers
Cons
The amount of positions available and hours that are available
Enjoyed working with staff and providing good customer service.
Bank Officer (Former Employee) –  Gatton QLD25 March 2019
Provide customer service, money handling, balance tills and books everyday. Learnt how to deal with customers problems and problematic customers. Identifying customers needs and wants.
staffing
Customer advisor (Former Employee) –  Qld23 March 2019
not enough staff and a lot of redundancies and option for part time
One staff member now doing the task of 3 people
the morale in the nab is uncomfortable
Managers bullying staff into making decisions they do not want to do and making them do more tasks than they are able to do in a days work, staying back and working through lunches to complete tasks
unhealthy environment for work and well being
Targets being so high that expectations of meeting this is unacceptable
employing young ones to move forward in their career but leaving the long service people that's a little maturer and have more knowledge behind so no room for career movefor the longer serving staff
Pros
none at this time
Cons
overworked not recongised for your work
My typical day
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC19 March 2019
My typical day is full of challenges, meeting new people, learning to do things differently and enjoying the work life balance. Abundance training programs.
Many projects to work on.
Pros
Heaps of training programs
Cons
Salary not very competitive
great place to learn but very poor pay
Quantitative Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW1 March 2019
very poor pay. the team did not get a salary rise for 3 years. high turnover therefore. would not recommend to anyone looking for fair pay. manager was very nice
Good work/life balance
Quality & Reporting Associate (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, Victoria20 February 2019
Good work/life balance
Ability to developed
Good benefits
Good HR support
Yearly bonuses (on performance)
Busy workload
Frequent restructuring
Customer focus
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Restructuring
Changing organisation
Business Banking Manager (Current Employee) –  Osborne Park WA17 February 2019
Company that is trying to change with the rapid pace of digitisation and increased regulation. Segmented areas creates silos between business units so it is like working for a diggerent company. Not.many staff benefits but ability in some roles to work flecible hours and/or from home.
Pros
Working from.home
Cons
Long hours and high performance.expectations
Welcome worker 614392
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tasmania - Launceston25 January 2019
Was advanced from graduate Trainee to Senior Analyst in 3 months due to staff shortages. As Trainee I was shoved in a corner and basically told not to touch anything this meant I was unprepared for the Senior Analyst role I was forcefully advanced into.

Despite constantly trying to self improve and cram the 2 years of learning and experience required for the senior analyst role, the daily levels of stress and feeling of isolation caused mistakes and reduced my effectiveness in the role. Workplace morale is also terrible, everyone in the office is gloomy, even during a big win the feeling is 'ok now something is going to go wrong to balance the universe out'.

In the middle of all this NAB 'restructured' which meant firing the majority of support staff I had been building a rapport with as well a firing all of middle management including our team leader. At this point I resigned.

At NAB you either perform through being a combination of highly experienced, well connected and lucky or the grindstone turns and you are more grist for the mill.
Pros
Money was good
Cons
No training, your on your own, your either a hot shot or ground to dust

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NAB - National Australia Bank. Our community is ready to answer.