NAB - National Australia Bank

NAB - National Australia Bank Employee Reviews

Australia428 reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

Customers were the biggest part of my job and this made me thrive on providing the best customer experience.

Featured review

NAB - National Australia Bank selected this as a representative review
I have been with the Nab for 35 years and it is a great company to work for, it has good people you work with and lots of help in learning and developing your skills for the roles you will be applying for. I started as a batch clerk and worked myself to be a branch Manager.

Culture.poor and time consuming Process

Have met few amazing trusting staff, otherwise overall, along the years found out that others could not be trusted as you could not openly have conversation about work as everything was reported back to team leader, than you would be called in the office. In a group setting, providing ideas about Process improvement and feedback was overlooked as I came from another institution . Few of us found out being vocal would be train wreck . A team conversation would be relayed to other TL and I found it very restrictive and frustrated working where i could not contribute my expertise.

Lots of opportunities

Being a large organisation I’ve never been in a position for more than 2 years. My leaders have always encouraged me to take the next step. In the one organisation I’ve moved from frontline to now head office.

A good company to work for. Managers are okay, although some of them prefer to employ and promote people externally rather than internally. Don't expect to get promoted

National bank

I enjoy wherever I work team work make it enjoyable and I love what I do and I think that make a difference. I love to see my staff grow and motivated.

Great place to work. Great wages.Room to move upwards in the company. Lots of opportunities exist within the business sector. Great workplace culture.

Great company

Really enjoyed my experience at the National Bank of Australia, great people, great culture and great work experience. I made friends that i will keep for life.

Pros

Cons

nothing that comes to mind

Fast paced and stressful

NAB has some great opportunities, and it does have great brand recognition, but you'll find that you’ll often be under pressure in your role. Most of the time we are short staffed, with overtime a common thing. Unfortunately too, management do not often listen to the people under them when they make changes.

NAB has focus & direction. Committed Leaders. Great workplace culture. Built upon solid values.

NAB is an excellent company to work for, with good people to work with, a strong workplace culture focused on both colleague & customer which flows through into everything NAB. Solid People Leaders that support/coach each team members' commitment to develop the skills /knowledge needed for career progression. The vision at NAB is clear and concise on what is needed to deliver the best bank in Australia.

Pros

Lots

Cons

Not many

Overworked and micro managed

Do not work in the call centre Direct Servicing you are micro managed all the time and even questioned why you take personal time to go to the toilet. They pretend they care about your well being they only care about statistics and how many calls you can take a day and how quick you can assist a customer on the phone.

Cons

Micro managed

avoid at all cost

they will drained your soul, team is not working together. lots of unpaid working time. toxic work place where everyone try sucking up to the manager without doing any work.

Pros

nothing

Cons

long hours unpaid to stay back stressful toxic workplace

low pay

Low pay compare to industry especially if you are not in sales role, Very hard to negotiate pay , unless you have external offer. Very hard for internal job transfer ,every internal Job transfer have to be approved by your manager and if you direct manager is not supportive , nothing you can do

Good

Good but stressful. Be ready to take training and meeting frequently. Have opportunity to grow but really depend on who is your manager. Chance to do part time

Oppressive

No support. Management throws people under the bus to avoid blame from their management. Scapegoats, cliques and manipulation by petty minds is common. Maybe it's changed since I was there. Unlikely.

Choose carefully and do your research

Whilst there is a very good perception in the market, it is very important to research your work unit as some pockets of the bank do not have a good culture to work in.

Pros

Generous remuneration if you negotiate well

Cons

Poor leadership and frequent strategy change

Understaffed and lacklustre training

Can only speak for retail banking/customer service but my time with NAB was awful, I was often left by myself at the front counter improperly trained, was difficult to get help as we were so understaffed. I often had to call other branches to get assistance over the phone. It was very embarrassing

Pros

Colleagues were generally very nice

Cons

Even as a casual employee I was not paid to the minute

Toxic Culture

After coming from a workplace which was a friendly and great training was provided it was a terrible experience to go to a place where there was no respect at all. It was very disappointing for a graduate position.I left with nothing to go to, it was that bad.

Pros

Great money.

Cons

I was resented for being a hard worker. It was not a good place for a quiet, non argumentative person to work. Managers constantly complained they were not paid enough, even though they were on 6 figure salaries.

Badly organised.

My Business Analyst experience:Agile poorly implementedLack of structure or accountability on projectsPMs are lazy and reactivePeople friendly, but terrible if you want to upskill due to lack of discipline or governance

The expectations for an entry level job is crazy. Low wage for a stressful job. Grateful for the experience though

Over complicated processes and systems, high expectations for an entry level, stressful role. A lot of areas need to be improved. Starting with management.

Pros

Wfh, the friends I’ve made

Cons

Pay. Management. Micromanaged team.

Stressful work place with poorly managed staff. Sales targets are enormous and unachievable.

Definitely do not consider working for this organisation! They do not respect staff and expect unpaid overtime almost daily.The sales pressure is unachievable with poorly managed branches. The working values are poor and front line staff under constant pressure.Staff morale is so low it’s verging on unhealthy.

Pros

Nil

Cons

Never finishing on time. Forced to work when sick. Sales targets too high.

Test all workers for Drug Use. There are so many drug addicts with jobs.

Australian jobs first. Is the Ceo from Scotland have a nice time on his farm in New Zealand. The job stressed me so much and I was bounced between medical industry and workplace, rather than seriously being listened to and guided into an achievable work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NAB - National Australia Bank. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare NAB - National Australia Bank with