NAB - National Australia Bank Employee Reviews in Melbourne City Centre VIC

Enjoyable selling environment
Telesales and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC14 June 2019
Enjoyable selling environment, mainly concentrating on life insurance and credit card insurance. It was a fun job but not too lucrative. I enjoyed my time there and won new rookie award but I enjoyed Medibank more because of the culture.
Pros
learning more about how to sell life insurance - touchy subject
Cons
very competitive - not many collegueas sharing ideas
Workplace culture needs overhaul
Senior Manager in a Finance Division (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC29 June 2018
Pockets of interesting work, and learning opportunities if you get the right leader or team.

CEOs attempt on ‘customer first’ culture is being embedded. Interesting work in customer related initiatives. Quick to execute strategy to exit poor performaning business areas or those don’t fit.
Recent restructure however- mixed views.

Toxic culture dominates certain divisions influenced by a poor leadership team. Engagement scores at unseen lows. Org values now disregarded in practice, with no consequences.

Hardest part of job - energy drain to stay engaged. Sad when good people / leaders leave. Faux sense of teamwork, leaders avoid dealing with it. Extensive long hours so common, it’s expected (work life balance is imbalanced). When wrong people are put in jobs.

Most enjoyable part - larger scale initiatives bring interesting challenging work. Opportunity to learn from SMEs who share knowledge if you’re curious and willing to learn. Meeting great people on these initiatives. If you’re willing, there’s always opportunity to learn, includes learning from poor leadership.
Pros
Driven CEO, flexible work options (also a con) progression if advocated for
Cons
poor leadership, incompetent people leaders, no work/like balance
Proud to have worked for such an outstanding organisation
Manager, Customer Dispute Operations (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC23 April 2018
Do yourself a favor and make it a priority to work at NAB, if the Banking industry is of interest to you of course. I really cannot fault this organization, it gave me so many great experiences and memories. They actually take work/life balance seriously and actually promote it internally. The culture is 2nd to none.....i'd be very surprised if there was a large organization such as NAB with a better culture, it is a focus across all levels to focus on creating the right culture. They invest in people and you're encouraged no matter your age or seniority to continue to build capability.
Pros
Culture, clear customer focus across all areas in the bank, management support
No Comment - Too long ago
Contract Analyst/Programmer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC4 April 2018
No Comment - Too long ago for short contract. Relaxed workplace culture. Team members were all friendly and easy to get along with. Within short distance to public transport and garden parks
Pros
Flexible hours in the city
Cons
no issues of note
Great People
Team Leader - Registry Services Transaction (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC31 January 2018
As I had been at NAB for so long I have seen it change so much. The people I worked with were always so much fin, but unfortunately over the years the management had changed and it felt like they weren't there to support the staff as much as they were in the past
Pros
great people
Cons
change in culture
Needs a lot improvement in all areas
AML/CTF Officer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC19 November 2017
Slow systems, frequent crash downs, huge technical upgrades required. Company require to look at the management structuring and improve workplace culture. Recruit talent from outside rather than creating eye wash.
Pros
Training, time flexibility
Cons
Long hours, poor systems, weekend work, poor management, no clear path defined to follow both operationally and technologically, work place culture, recruit right talent, increase risk appetite as a bank, still far behind major banks both locally and internationally, invest on technology and people. make right choices
NAB values people
Team Leader Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC8 November 2017
NAB is a great place as there is career progression and team culture and engagement is a key priority. The direct contact centre is a fast paced but exciting area to be involved in.
very productive supportive and Work life culture
Pre Assessment Officer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC22 October 2017
Its a great experience every day. NAB has a great working policies which supports a lot to work life balance concept.
Nab has a great working culture and off course it has great goodwill in Australian market.
Pros
very supportive team and good working culture
Cons
mine is temp Job
Fun place to work
Senior Analyst Programmer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC2 August 2017
Great multicultural Environment
Great amenities for a comfortable work space
Great work life balance
The team ensures that your work is appreciated...
Pros
Great work life balance
Cons
Less opportunities to learn new things
Senior Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC21 June 2017
A great place to work. Company was results focussed and treated the employees with respect.

My team delivered some very good work during my tenure..
Pros
Some degree of flexibility
Cons
A great step to experience
Wholesale Reconciliation Nostro Team Member (Current Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC12 May 2017
Being a Wholesale Nostro Reconciliation Team Member is a great step to start a career in banking area. I learnt how to reconcile a large portfolio such as Nostro and custody.
Challenging and interesting day with good support from management
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC15 March 2017
Challenging and interesting work with good support from management. I learned to work tirelessly with full enthusiasm to achieve the committed targets and complete projects.

Workplace culture was motivating and supportive. Management takes care of the employees aspirations and career goals.
Pros
Flexible work arrangements
Cons
Too many restructures in short time frame
Digital Insights
Digital Product Owner (Current Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC12 February 2017
I am digital product owner at NAB. I own , design , create and deliver online changes to Internet Banking for various user friendly features related to digital card payments , online credit card statements , Customer analytics , overseas travel notifications etc.
Numbers driven
Document Verification Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC30 January 2017
Fun and enjoyable but at the same time very numbers driven.
I do enjoy working for NAB and thus the reason why I am looking for other opportunities within NAB
Great staff and clients.
Private Client Assistant, NAB Private Wealth (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC13 September 2016
Great place to work, made some excellent friends. Work environment happy and fun, but some hard work and long hours in the end of financial year period.
Good work life balance.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Demanding clients
opportunities are endless
Retail Distribution Advisor/Consultant (Current Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC7 July 2016
flexible work arrangements including starting and finishing hours and work from home. Talented employees are rewarded highly and have the opportunity to expand their knowledge by completing secondments in other roles.
When you are in a role for more than 2 years your co-workers become a part of your family.
There is alot of talented people therefore it can become hard to find new roles withing the same area, especially in certain states.
Pros
Recognition awards, people, flexibility, travel
Cons
Politics
High paced, high volume, sales orientated business. Great people
Business Banker (Current Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC31 March 2016
A typical day within the business sector of NAB it is not uncommon to work a 12hr day with the 8 of those hours in full discussion with clients. I learned how to increase my sales effectiveness whilst managing people and managing my time in order to organised my work load. The people i worked with are incredible, the culture they have developed is some of the best i have had the privilege to work with and it is reflected by the staff. the hardest art of my job would be achieving the required work load with the 8 hours a standard day would allow. The most enjoyable part of my job is the rewarding feeling you get when you can help out a small business to achieve their goals and progress their business.
Productive and fun working in a team environment. It provides a fair amount of social activities such as various tournaments between teams.
Analyst Programmer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre, VIC6 October 2015
I enjoy the challenge coming from the projects that I have worked for.

I enjoy the team environment that the bank has created.

I enjoy their flexi desk and clean desk policies in the work area.

I enjoy the Table Tennis tournaments and Table Soccer tournaments that was hosted by the Bank on a yearly basis.

I enjoy their Volunteer Day off where I can volunteer myself for any charity organisation for one to two days volunteer work.
Pros
Challenging and fun to work for. have the opportunites to expose to latest technology.
Cons
IT Management lack of skills and communication.
OK place to work in general, some great people working there
Senior Test Analyst/Test Lead (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre, VIC17 September 2015
It's a big corporation with lots of moving parts. Some very outdated technology mixed in with some new technology combined with lots of undocumented processes and procedures - or if it is documented it is impossible to find easily. Some highly intelligent individuals with fantastic knowledge of the systems working there so it somehow works. This is more a criticism of current software development practices which I believe are quite inefficient.
Pros
Some really good people working there
Cons
very old technology mixed with newer stuff
Good place to work with highly intelligent and focussed individuals
Senior Test Analyst/Lead (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre, VIC17 September 2015
As a Contractor the rating criteria for the company, such as Work/Life balance, and Job Security/Advancement do not apply so my view of the company needs to be understood from that perspective.

Overall it was a good company to work for with the usual amount of politics and rules that apply to big corporations. Frustrating at times with technology that dates back to the 70's, 80's & 90's, particularly when trying to integrate current technologies. Minor observation: Hot desk policy being gradually introduced which is just plain awful in an IT project.
Pros
Some really good people working there
Cons
Lots of undocumented processes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NAB - National Australia Bank. Our community is ready to answer.