NAB - National Australia Bank Employee Reviews in Melbourne VIC

A place where you can grow yourself as a person and industry professional with the helps from your seniors and colleagues
Associate- Corporate Investment Tax Services (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC14 June 2019
You come to work and get everything set, you know it's a good day.
I have learnt more than I thought with the works I have done during the time there.
Management is just like other corporations.
You get to work from home sometimes, and it is super flexible that you can just go to other buildings and work with your laptop, as long as you have the wifi connected.
The hardest part of the job is that you will come across some critical business events where you are not prepared for, it takes time to get those issues resolved.
It is the end of the day, and sometimes doing reporting is fun and you just don't want to stop.
Pros
Team lunch
Cons
System errors
bad management
Senior Quality Analyst - Financial Crime Services (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC14 May 2019
the management is really bad and disorganized. good work place culture and a good team but you really do not know what you are supposed to do in the day till you get to work
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
management
Bullied by a manager
Analyst Programmer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC3 May 2019
During my stay at NAB, I was bullied by management. I was treated like a second class citizen and was provided no training, support, or work. I was given no guidance and told I was "underperforming" with no explanation as to how. This was the result of me not attending a few team events which lead to management holding a grudge.
Pros
Big name on CV
Cons
Too much change all at once
Architect (Former Employee) –  700 Bourke, Melbourne30 April 2019
Was recently at NAB 2018 and they're still doing a 3 year change program, which they're apparently near the end of. Worked in Strategy & Architecture with a new boss who arrived near the end of the year. Unfortunately no improvement over previous one who really didn't care about the people on his team. With all the change, people are all too ready to throw others under the bus and a consistent criticism of NAB (which I experienced) was that you get no support from your management. They have a horrendously low employee engagement figure (way below other banks) and it's clear why. My advice? Steer clear...
Pros
700 Bourke is an amazing building & people I worked directly with were great
Cons
Total lack of management support and low employee engagement
Culture is abysmal, highly dependent upon departmental heads
Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC29 March 2019
I worked for NAB for five+ years, receiving ‘Outstanding’ reviews and stakeholder awards for my performance. At the end of a 3 year secondment, my new manager requested HR approve me being placed on Performance Management due to a diagnosis I shared with her (as I had my previous manager) before I reported to her. HR refused her request but concocted a plan by which I’d be systematically forced out, commencing with a demand to speak to my specialist on demand.

They based this demand on the terms of the standard contract which theoretically enabled them to make the demand even though no performance issues pertaining to me were alleged and none were ever documented.

Multiple times daily for over six months I was told she’d observed “fits of confusion” despite no such event ever taking place. I was publicly abused for my partial deafness.

Yet our stakeholders praised my performance as exemplary and she suppressed nominations for awards they’d made and formally requested that my manager be replaced.

Long story short, I was dismissed eight months later on entirely false pretences via an email sent, without any warning, after 4pm on a Friday afternoon; an email which concluded with the “reminder” that I remained eligible for their Employee Assistance Program which was “accessible 9am-4pm Monday-Friday”. NAB knowingly defrauded me of accumulated time-in-lieu and other benefits.

On legal advice, I agreed to settle for the then maximum 22 weeks’ compensation at Fair Work Australia which NAB, despite being obliged to pay in full within 14 days, then took three months to
  more... remit and, even then, deducted tax at the full rate rather than the correct ETP rate.

While there are many very good and talented people at NAB with whom I remain close, the cancerous culture exposed at the Banking Royal Commission is endemic and there’s no lie that NAB won’t tell to avoid liability.

By way of example, NAB denied receiving medical reports and other documentation (including that which they’d acknowledged receiving before Fair Work Australia) pursuant to a compensation claim despite them being sent via registered mail and formal receipts being tendered in proof; NAB staff knowingly abused their status as a Self-Insurer to simply delay and deny responsibility.

As an organisation, NAB is regressive and cancerous to the core.
Pros
Many fine and talented colleagues, flexible working hours
Cons
Annual performance system enables middle management corruption, few disincentives to sociopathic middle managers, systems are old, failing and difficult to change.
My typical day
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC19 March 2019
My typical day is full of challenges, meeting new people, learning to do things differently and enjoying the work life balance. Abundance training programs.
Many projects to work on.
Pros
Heaps of training programs
Cons
Salary not very competitive
Good work/life balance
Quality & Reporting Associate (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, Victoria20 February 2019
Good work/life balance
Ability to developed
Good benefits
Good HR support
Yearly bonuses (on performance)
Busy workload
Frequent restructuring
Customer focus
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Restructuring
Fun plavce to learn and un learn
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC22 January 2019
A Typical old generation bank eager to be more tech advance make over.A Great place to work and good exposure to Lending and leasing concepts .

Nice place to learn and in learn
Great place to work if you have the right manager
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  700 Bourke Street, Docklands30 December 2018
Depends on area you work in - Management can be very tough and show favouritism towards people they like rather than those with the skills to get the job done.
There are a lot of job opportunities if you are part of the inner circle.
They say they adhere to and support work-life-balance but my experience is that it is frowned upon and career advancement is difficult if you participate in WLB...
Most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with - the people make the job the fun.
Pros
mobile phone, leave loading and WLB
Cons
Expectation of LONG HOURS and socialising
Sadly, at present I am finding it difficult to stay engaged.
Service Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  101 Collins Street Melbourne VIC300030 December 2018
The rating speaks for itself.

Currently the business is going through massive changes which has not been handled well due to an inexperienced Management Team.

For the first time in my working career I dread going to work. Many of my work colleague's have already moved on.

The systems are inadequate and we have already been told that they will not be updated due to lack of funds.
Pros
There are few, none really of note.
Cons
Poor Culture, inexperinced Management, Worload debilitating and systems ineadequate to perform daily tasks
Good Palce
Lead/Manager, Business Analysis, CAMS (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC28 November 2018
Very good place to work, Great team work, Encouraging management and true leadership to guide the employee to success lines- Pleased with work and ethics.
Great place to do work experience
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC1 November 2018
Really enjoyed work experience at NAB in the Industrial relations department, was very included and valued. Lots to learn, pays well, big organisation but everyone is friendly. Good culture.
Good conditions
Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC30 October 2018
Fun work place and helpful staff. Modern facilities and very flexible in regard to working hours.
The only criticism is their ancient computer system.

Staff were friendly and very helpful in answering queries
good
Cons
ancient computer system
Work Place
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC16 October 2018
Great place to work, as a team member of drawdown I have learned a lot from my colleagues & my team leader. Everyone is so supportive, we had some struggles but was able to achieve our goals.
Supportive and goal driven
Customer Assist Advisory, (Former Employee) –  Docklands VIC, Melbourne2 September 2018
I had learnt to not be a judgemental, being bold and seeks for your aspiration, management was supportive to some degree however getting to see others
Pros
Table tennis
Cons
Compact
Was a good environment but now mainly outsourced
Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC13 August 2018
Unable to provide details due to the confidentiality of my work environment.
Unable to provide details due to the confidentiality of my work environment.
Great people to work with
Management culture is very dollar driven at a departmental level where costs that will save the company money but ruin your own business budget are rejected
Pros
Great offices
Cons
Strict budget limitations stop the job being done at times
Too long ago to rate.
Consumer Lending Officer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC8 August 2018
I have not worked there for many years so have no comment on work ethics. Everything was okay. I went through training and achieved promotions which was quite exciting.
Pros
No comment.
Cons
No comment.
Great culture and humanity is valued
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Docklands, Melbourne, Australia3 August 2018
NAB treats people like people, not like resources. Pay is not the highest in the market, but is reasonable.

Being a large company, job advancement prospects are not great.

Work/life balance is taken seriously, and options for flexible working and working from home are many and varied.

NAB is definitely my favourite employer so far.
Peaceful workplace
Data Entry Administrator (Analyst Tools Support) (Former Employee) –  700, Bourke St, Docklands31 July 2018
Reporting to the manager and getting my work assigned for the day.

I have learned a lot form nab as it if my first job has in Melbourne.
Learnt a different work culture and team members were really supportive and helpful.

There was nothing as a hardest part of the job at nab.

Every day at nab was memorable and enjoyable and peaceful.
Pros
No pressure.
Cons
Stifling, vicious and political BA practise
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, Australia16 July 2018
The BA practise managers are vicious, ruthless and political. They add zero value to the bank, collect a salary, and harass their BA pool reports in the guise of "feedback sessions". Nothing constructive comes out of their job, and they should be sacked. The project should hire BAs themselves. Why go through the BA practise? What value do the BA practise add, when they have zero responsibility for the BA?
Pros
salary
Cons
ba practise managers - they should simply retire

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NAB - National Australia Bank. Our community is ready to answer.