NAB - National Australia Bank Management reviews

bad management
Senior Quality Analyst - Financial Crime Services (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC14 May 2019
the management is really bad and disorganized. good work place culture and a good team but you really do not know what you are supposed to do in the day till you get to work
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
management
Bullied by a manager
Analyst Programmer (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC3 May 2019
During my stay at NAB, I was bullied by management. I was treated like a second class citizen and was provided no training, support, or work. I was given no guidance and told I was "underperforming" with no explanation as to how. This was the result of me not attending a few team events which lead to management holding a grudge.
Pros
Big name on CV
Cons
Too much change all at once
Architect (Former Employee) –  700 Bourke, Melbourne30 April 2019
Was recently at NAB 2018 and they're still doing a 3 year change program, which they're apparently near the end of. Worked in Strategy & Architecture with a new boss who arrived near the end of the year. Unfortunately no improvement over previous one who really didn't care about the people on his team. With all the change, people are all too ready to throw others under the bus and a consistent criticism of NAB (which I experienced) was that you get no support from your management. They have a horrendously low employee engagement figure (way below other banks) and it's clear why. My advice? Steer clear...
Pros
700 Bourke is an amazing building & people I worked directly with were great
Cons
Total lack of management support and low employee engagement
Very vibrant workplace and great team culture.
Call centre Assisting customers (Former Employee) –  Rhodes NSW23 April 2019
NAB was a great place to work. Great culture and great team building. Great employee incentives.
Management was not the best at my time in the Contact Centre, however, overall a great place to work.
Pros
Employees rewards scheme
Cons
Rotating roster
Culture is abysmal, highly dependent upon departmental heads
Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC29 March 2019
I worked for NAB for five+ years, receiving ‘Outstanding’ reviews and stakeholder awards for my performance. At the end of a 3 year secondment, my new manager requested HR approve me being placed on Performance Management due to a diagnosis I shared with her (as I had my previous manager) before I reported to her. HR refused her request but concocted a plan by which I’d be systematically forced out, commencing with a demand to speak to my specialist on demand.

They based this demand on the terms of the standard contract which theoretically enabled them to make the demand even though no performance issues pertaining to me were alleged and none were ever documented.

Multiple times daily for over six months I was told she’d observed “fits of confusion” despite no such event ever taking place. I was publicly abused for my partial deafness.

Yet our stakeholders praised my performance as exemplary and she suppressed nominations for awards they’d made and formally requested that my manager be replaced.

Long story short, I was dismissed eight months later on entirely false pretences via an email sent, without any warning, after 4pm on a Friday afternoon; an email which concluded with the “reminder” that I remained eligible for their Employee Assistance Program which was “accessible 9am-4pm Monday-Friday”. NAB knowingly defrauded me of accumulated time-in-lieu and other benefits.

On legal advice, I agreed to settle for the then maximum 22 weeks’ compensation at Fair Work Australia which NAB, despite being obliged to pay in full within 14 days, then took three months to
  more... remit and, even then, deducted tax at the full rate rather than the correct ETP rate.

While there are many very good and talented people at NAB with whom I remain close, the cancerous culture exposed at the Banking Royal Commission is endemic and there’s no lie that NAB won’t tell to avoid liability.

By way of example, NAB denied receiving medical reports and other documentation (including that which they’d acknowledged receiving before Fair Work Australia) pursuant to a compensation claim despite them being sent via registered mail and formal receipts being tendered in proof; NAB staff knowingly abused their status as a Self-Insurer to simply delay and deny responsibility.

As an organisation, NAB is regressive and cancerous to the core.
Pros
Many fine and talented colleagues, flexible working hours
Cons
Annual performance system enables middle management corruption, few disincentives to sociopathic middle managers, systems are old, failing and difficult to change.
Welcome worker 614392
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tasmania - Launceston25 January 2019
Was advanced from graduate Trainee to Senior Analyst in 3 months due to staff shortages. As Trainee I was shoved in a corner and basically told not to touch anything this meant I was unprepared for the Senior Analyst role I was forcefully advanced into.

Despite constantly trying to self improve and cram the 2 years of learning and experience required for the senior analyst role, the daily levels of stress and feeling of isolation caused mistakes and reduced my effectiveness in the role. Workplace morale is also terrible, everyone in the office is gloomy, even during a big win the feeling is 'ok now something is going to go wrong to balance the universe out'.

In the middle of all this NAB 'restructured' which meant firing the majority of support staff I had been building a rapport with as well a firing all of middle management including our team leader. At this point I resigned.

At NAB you either perform through being a combination of highly experienced, well connected and lucky or the grindstone turns and you are more grist for the mill.
Pros
Money was good
Cons
No training, your on your own, your either a hot shot or ground to dust
Good pay but call centre is too busy
Customer Service Adviser (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW18 January 2019
The call centre role was very difficult very high volume of calls with over 80% being just complaints and agnry customers. Mentally draining. However the pay, benefits and job security is great.
great place to work but management needs a haul over
Regulatory Reporting Analyst (Former Employee) –  North Sydney NSW14 January 2019
Was normal mundane admin tasks, reconciliations, lots of meetings with managers that seldom listened to their subordinates. high staff turnover. The offices were great, and the no permanent sit arrangement was a positive, as junior staff would get a chance to mingle with very senior managers.
Great place to work if you have the right manager
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  700 Bourke Street, Docklands30 December 2018
Depends on area you work in - Management can be very tough and show favouritism towards people they like rather than those with the skills to get the job done.
There are a lot of job opportunities if you are part of the inner circle.
They say they adhere to and support work-life-balance but my experience is that it is frowned upon and career advancement is difficult if you participate in WLB...
Most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with - the people make the job the fun.
Pros
mobile phone, leave loading and WLB
Cons
Expectation of LONG HOURS and socialising
Sadly, at present I am finding it difficult to stay engaged.
Service Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  101 Collins Street Melbourne VIC300030 December 2018
The rating speaks for itself.

Currently the business is going through massive changes which has not been handled well due to an inexperienced Management Team.

For the first time in my working career I dread going to work. Many of my work colleague's have already moved on.

The systems are inadequate and we have already been told that they will not be updated due to lack of funds.
Pros
There are few, none really of note.
Cons
Poor Culture, inexperinced Management, Worload debilitating and systems ineadequate to perform daily tasks
Great place to work because of the people
Associate, Verifications/Credit Assessments (Current Employee) –  NSW19 December 2018
Busy environment. I have gained immense knowledge & experience working for NAB. Excellent management & mixed culture.
Flexible work arrangements. Hardest part of the job is switching between different work systems & the most enjoyable part of the job is the people you are working with. So much fun & like family.
Pros
Gift vouchers, free lunches
Cons
Addictive & hence end up working long hours
no idea whats going on
team leader (Former Employee) –  Sydney17 December 2018
no one takes accountability from the CEO, useless middle management to the janitor. no wonder this company is under scrutiny the the royal commission they just have no clue what is going on
Good Palce
Lead/Manager, Business Analysis, CAMS (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC28 November 2018
Very good place to work, Great team work, Encouraging management and true leadership to guide the employee to success lines- Pleased with work and ethics.
Nothing learnt.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Rhodes NSW26 November 2018
My manager was extremely illiterate, banter is forbidden. Attempted to progress, got fired. It's not about what you know, it's about who you know at NAB.
Great
Head of Insurance Sector Solutions (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW25 November 2018
Great Place to work

Work-life balance is just right.

Friendly staff and management

A lot of opportunities to progress

Work is challenging and exciting
Productive & fast paced
Settlement Officer (Former Employee) –  Rhodes NSW21 November 2018
I enjoyed working in this role, a lot of different roles to take on within the one team. Everyday is different, loved the varied role and face paced work.
Pros
Start to finish tasks
Cons
Sometimes management
Large Institution
Program Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW21 November 2018
Overall a poor experience and could be run better. Very top heavy and political with people protecting their roles.

Leadership cares about share price and do not care about customers and just want to climb ladders by getting big numbers (hence bonuses) with little regard for customer returns.
Pros
Workplace
Cons
Politics
Toxic environment
Fulfilment Officer (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW14 November 2018
Insane workload and low morale.People back stab each other. Very limited career path. Low pay.

Slow IT systems and frequent crash down. If you are an ambitious person do not come.
Pros
Cons
culture
Great support
Branch Manager - Multiple Locations (Former Employee) –  Australia20 October 2018
Loved working for NAB, had so many great opportunities and worked with the best people. Say what you want about banks, but the NAB looks after its people and importantly, allowed us to look after our customers. Miss it very much.
Pros
Flexible work conditions and great opportunities.
Cons
Red tape and sometimes, too much micro management.
Face paced
NSW Practice Development Manager (BDM) (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW9 October 2018
A typical day at work involved interaction with many different internal teams, ranging from legal, product, education. Multi layered management with a view to success
Pros
Good culture
Cons
Management support

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NAB - National Australia Bank. Our community is ready to answer.