National Gallery of Victoria Employee Reviews

Productive and Fun
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC2 May 2019
I got there and then hopped straight into work. I learned how to keep a tour group engaged and also got to sit in on a bunch of lectures about the other jobs such as gallery curators. Everyone there was incredibly friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job was to not enjoy my time there, it was truely amazing being surrounded my intelligent and creative people.
professional and supportive environment. I gained a wide array of experience.
Copy writer, PART TIME (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC19 November 2016
I loved my co-workers and felt ver immersed in the artistic culture. However, I found the hours challenging with two young children at home. The manager was professional,courteous yet inclusive and friendly. Overall the entire experience was so liberating and rewarding. As I am looking for jobs today without the stress of young kids, I would adore coming back to the company!
Pros
free exhibits
Cons
long hours with a family at home
Best of the Best Construction and Deconstruction
Visual merchandising placement (Former Employee) –  St Kilda Road VIC25 July 2016
It was half a week of putting together a very lavish and eccentric dinner table and chairs, then taking it down. It was a little bit of a shame I didn't get to see it in full use at the Gala dinner, but I did get to see the public display and the public's reaction to a dining table themed, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.
Over all it was hard work, but great. It paid off. And once the public had seen it for a couple of days, it was taken down, by me and 3 other students and rebuilt for the TAFE's open day.
- I learnt that I really did love pushing my limits, both emotionally and physically. But that mainly came out when I looked at the public's reaction and thought at how great it was to be exhibiting at the NGV.
- Management was very up and down. Our client wasn't always so clear with us and I think that's because they were worried about working with students and what our limits were. But It worked in the end.
- The hardest part of the job was either the aftermath of having pulled so many muscles which were sore for weeks, or just only getting to see small, pocketed glimpses of the work be admired and attracting attention. I would have paid big money to see it at the actual event being used as a dinner table.
Pros
Working for the NGV
Cons
Last minute emails about schedules
Great Team Environment during my time
Head Chef Jack Astin (Former Employee) –  180 StKilda Road Melbourne29 December 2015
Starts were early in the morning 7am preparing for lunch service in the Persimmon restaurant and looking after the Gallery Kitchen. During busy exhibitions days would roll over into night functions of up to 600 people dinners or 1500 cocktail functions managing up to 15 staff members. The team during this period was the best part of the job. I learned how to manage large kitchens which help me understand the structure of a large company. From ordering, processing documents and menu development.