Northern Territory Government

22: Northern Territory Government Employee Reviews

Australia22 reviews

4.0Work–Life Balance

Loved working for NT Government

I really enjoyed working for Northern Territory government. I would still be working for them if I didn’t have to move. I always had the opportunity to advance my skills. I can always reach out to someone to ask questions if needed.

Great working conditions and mostly good managers.

Friendly environment, manager always had an open door policy. Pay was fair and always on time. 6 weeks annual leave. My manager allowed me to work flex time within reason.Opportunity to apply for internal advancement.

Pros

6 weeks annual leave 3 weeks sick leave which could be carried over from year to year.

Cons

Non, it was a pleasure to work there.

Needs to get its act together!

Proper governance and direction by competent staff is required. Currently its highly reactive fostering a suspicious and blaming culture. If good governance and good directors in place it may have a chance of moving towards being proactive, thus a positive step towards improving the culture. Needs more competent people on same page with no in-fighting; if only it were possible! 🙄

management was not supportive

I found the management at the Department of Business - Training NT not supportive and had a bullying culture who they seemed to treat through promoting the bully/manager and not support the victim. Generally, the Northern Territory Government, from my perspective, were a better employer for benefits rather than pay and security isn't as great these days.

Poor Managers Poor Culture

Due to poor Management a typical day involved me assisting intra state staff who could get no assistance any where else and ensuring payments were made to deadlines.. The department I worked for had a " not our problem " mantra and I discovered my ' Manager ' was actually a trainee that the ' big boss ' liked. This ' Manager' had no idea how to conduct himself or how to manage staff and was not given any training in this regard. I asked for work and was told they had nothing - I fell asleep at my desk some days. The hardest part of the job was discovering anomalies and payment errors and Management having no interest in correcting any of them. The most enjoyable part of the job was problem solving and helping intra state staff and getting my tasks completed properly and interaction with my colleagues. Some very hard working great people are there but not in Management. Get any exchange with Management in writing - do not trust ' chats ' or ' conversations '. Promised training may not eventuate ; if someone ' doesn't like you' watch out and male Managers do not appreciate ' clever women ' but are threatened by them so ladies, don't be ' too smart '. They claim they are working to ' change culture ' but anyone who wants to change it is on the outer and those who want the status quo to remain are promoted! Very much a boys club.

Pros

Great colleagues

Cons

Poor Management

Public dentistry

A typical day would involve seeing clients for routine dental procedures, including emergencies, children, and denture clients. Monthly remote trips are always exciting, seeing some of the most remote communities in Australia.

Fair workplace

Flexible workplace hours. Good prospects of promotion. Good job security. Competitive benefits, 6 weeks leave, 3 weeks sick leave, long service leave.

Excellent place to grow

Excellent place to grow. NTG has seen me enter the workforce at a young age, at a low level to end up being a team leader, heading meetings and training staff. Excellent training opportunities provided and supportive team members. I would never have left the job if I wasn't relocating.

Pros

Great award conditions

Cons

staff cut backs

Supportive environment to work in

Being a child protection environment the days for staff could be an emotional and stressful position. Support given by management was of the highest level. Workplace training was ongoing and helpful. I was trained in all aspects of the Department Great staff to work with who were very supportive of each other

Pros

Ongoing training

Cons

I have no comments for this

Good work environment

NT Government has a good workplace culture. work with compassionate and dedicated staff. The weather in Darwin is amazing. Local people are friendly

Pros

Hospital is only 15 minutes from the Northern Suburbs of Darwin

Cons

Long Hours

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Northern Territory Government?

Fun

Although there were a few things going on in upper management staff on the floor had an outgoing fun attitude. Making going to work a whole lot easier

Excellent Professional Development opportunities

My workplace has clear goals and objectives that are aligned to school and departmental strategic plans. I feel my opinions are valued and sort. Teaching is a challenging career but the collegiality that exists between staff members is second to none. We are given time to collaborate and plan together in our professional learning teams. Whole school approaches are welcomed, embraced and viewed as a way forward. Peer assessment, data coaching and visible learning are well integrated into practice.The introduction and use of an electronic data base for student achievements with benchmarks has had a remarkable affect on teaching and learning.

Pros

Achievement

Typical Government buracracy

Typical public service organisation, made bearable by working for an excellent Director. HR issues not always dealt with adequately. Salary is excellent.

Pros

Mostly good Directors

Cons

Typical public service work ethos

Not permitted

Not appropriate for comment on this site. Employment with NT Government requires that you maintain a certain level of professionalism and you are bound by a code of conduct. Thank you

Pros

N/a

Cons

N/a

Challenging

Workplace was challenging and busy. Great Directors and an interesting group of people of various cultural backgrounds and ages.

Pros

great learning envirnment

Cons

Politics

Demanding Job Role

Demanding job role, with a high attention to detail and accuracy in data entry. High level of confidentiality needed in regards to dealing with case sensitive information. Rewarding Government position with the ability to move up.

Great working environment

Wonderful opportunity travelling to remote communities and assisting on the ground workers with AOD issues within the communities and homelands. Management was great and co-workers were always willing to work in a team when needed.

Professional workplace that offers developmental opportunities

Great place to work, encouraging co-workers, developmental opportunities, challenging working environment and work life balance options.

Pros

Development opportunities

Cons

Nil

This was a productive work environment, encouraging team work and constant up skilling. A great opportunity to begin a career in finance.

There was never a typical day. We could be processing payments one day, or I could be training new staff the next. As I had been with the Government for several years I had the opportunity to pick up courses such as: 2011Effective Communication & Team Building 2010Cross Cultural Understanding 2008FBT – Fringe Benefits Tax 2007 Customer Relations 2006 Conflict Management Skills 2006 Career Self-Management 2006 Self-Management Which gave me the skills to work more efficiently within a team as well as lead one when necessary. As usual with many Government departments, staff changed constantly, so it was important to be able to have good comunication skills, enjoy working with others and be able to help at a moments notice, which all were always my strong points as a team member. I never found any difficulties with my position, in fact I found it easy and was always looking for more challenging tasks, which I enjoyed, as well as the people I worked with.

Pros

Free training courses

Cons

Poor management

Love to keep busy and have goals

Eager and keen all rounder able to handle any situation with ease. Has dealt with extremely stressful situations for fourteen years as a Patrol Officer and Police Prosecutor in a very busy area with a very large workload.Spent 4 years at Allianz as a Major/Interstate Claims Consultant in Compulsory Third Party and also found this to be a very rewarding and challenging position. Left this position as a result of giving Birth to my youngest Children, Jack, 3 and a half years and Brooke, 2 and a half years .We moved interstate twice in this period due to my Husband’s work commitments and have lived in Darwin now for the past 2 years. In January of 2011 I established there was a huge shortage of Family Day Care Workers. I subsequently obtained a Certificate III in Child Care. This enabled me to fill some of the shortage in the Child Care industry by working from home. This has obviously been a completely different role to that I have ever been exposed to. I found this role to be very rewarding whilst being able to care for my own Children.I am once again drawn to a new challenge, diversifying into another arena where I can utilise all my knowledge and improve my skills further. I have found during the 6 months of performing the duties as a Licensing Inspector I have been able to utilise all of my past knowledge and have begun learning a whole new regulatory framework.

Pros

love the people i work with

Cons

since the change of government has come in, there has been no job security, . and a position that i made application for nearly 3 months ago now, is still being decided upon, and i am now on my fourth contract in just over 6 months.

Rewarding, Challenging,

Exceptionally rewarding. To assist small tourism operators to achieve successful outcomes, is the pinnacle of any business development role. Working in large Government organisations will always present challenges, as they do in any field. The secret of success is to maintain strong work ethic, understand and work with the culture of the organisation. Challenge decisions, but in a constructive and positive manner. Hardest part of the job was to witness the struggles and demise of small business tourism operators, through economic downturn or fall in tourism visitation.

Cons

changes of government, policy change, economic climate

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Northern Territory Government. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Northern Territory Government Reviews by Location