NSW Ambulance

19: NSW Ambulance Employee Reviews

Australia19 reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

Great working atmosphere

Overworked, difficulty with night shifts but a fantastic job. Upper management not supportive or recognise current difficulties paramedics face. Say that there is changes and support, nothing actually changes Middle management very supportive and understanding, always willing to listen and provide guidance.

Low morale, over-worked, terrible culture and terrible managers

Across the whole organisation, from paramedics to control centre staff and other support staff, morale is terrible and only getting worse. Already renown for terrible managers who bully their staff frequently, Covid has only made a bad situation worse. NSWA seems to allow bad managers to get promoted and good managers just get worked into the ground and never promoted. Morale is the lowest it has ever been, people are leaving the organisation in droves, and staff are miserable. The company is quick to blame staff for any mistakes whilst whipping them harder and harder to do more work. They are chronically understaffed due to a high attrition rate and are poorly equipped with resources to allow staff to do their job well. I would avoid this company like the plague!

Pros

Job security is good as it's almost impossible to get fired, Health is an area which coped well with Covid where there was actually more work.

Cons

Underpaid, overworked, high responsibility, terrible middle management, very bureaucratic.

Appalling Organisation

Steer clear. Paramedics are worked into the ground in appalling conditions. Chronic understaffing, excessive workloads, unreasonable forced overtime, a massive bullying culture, pathetic pay and little to no support for frontline staff. Horrendous fatigue issues on road.Upper management have no idea what is really happening on the frontline and frankly don't care.The only positive is the job itself of a paramedic is fantastic and you can work with amazing colleagues. Although everyone (including the great colleagues) are extremely burnt out.Head for another service. NSWA is disgraceful.

Pros

Colleagues

Cons

Too many to list

Amazing!

What a way to earn a living, using state of the art technology to dispatch emergency resources to get help to people in the community who need it most.

Pros

The workplace culture

Exciting and passionate experience.

I would recommend applying within NSW Ambulance, I wished I was younger...applying to be a paramedic would be my dream..love patient contact. 000 call centre training was an amazing learning experience.

Pros

Friendship

Great workplace

It's a great workplace, always busy, great environment and great people to work alongside. This is a workplace where every day is different to the one before. The role also gives you a great feeling to know that you've helped someone and potentially made a difference to their life.

Toxic Workplace

Management with Tunnel vision. Very Bureaucratic. The new employee are not inducted properly and they are also not given time to know the different BUs within the organization and critical stakeholders.

Flexible

A very good place to work there. I love to go back Managers are very good Staff are friendly. Work-Life balance. Career progression Family-friendly environment

Not family friendly

Job is great as long as you keep out of the politics and management. Shift work is not great for maintaining family and relationships. Culture can be very damaging and nasty.

Bullying culture

The bullying culture at Ambulance isn't just applicable to paramedics - staff all over the organisation are subjected to horrific management, unreasonable standards and a quiet, killing-you-softly-with-their-song-style culture. Bullying complaints are often swept under the rug and never dealt with - instead contractors are hired to work insanely hard for their keep and if they have a difference of opinion are simply told their contract has 'finished'. NSW Ambulance get away with far too much - a royal commission into the internal culture of this horrific organisation needs to be held.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at NSW Ambulance?

Good place to work for

Good place to work for, now have a local experience. I have got TRIM experience . Staff were all helpful. It was a 3 month contract so I had to leave after that.

NSW Ambulance is a good place to work, people are often helpful although government processes can at times be difficult to navigate. Lovely location and plenty of parking.

Pros

Location, Great emergency service

Cons

Contract nature of work due to secondments

productive and enjoyable place to work

Although it was a pleasant place to work, there was not much chance of career advancement due to re-structure. Everyday was always very busy. When staff left, it would take management a very long time to re-fill the positions therefore putting alot of pressure on the rest of us.

Pros

$5 meals in the canteen and monthly morning tea as a team

Cons

overworked and understaffed

Unique environment for helping the community

A typical day for me at work is taking up to and over 100 Emergency calls from hospital to hospital transfers, to 000 callers experiencing their worst day of their life. NSW ambulance have ongoing training as medical procedures change, so does our 000 call taking change (we have to keep up with the changes as these days medical practices change every year ) The managers are very supportive and help me with any situation about the job and we also have peer support officers who help when we experience a very difficult call. I work with the best team of people doing a very unique job and we support each other throughout each shift and away from work we have a social club who organise social activities. The hardest part of my job is when my patient who I have been on the line with for some time passes away. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping people in their time of need. In my 28 year career I have delivered 27 babies and when you hear that baby cry and know that mother and baby are fine it is the best feeling in the world.

Pros

Helping people in their time of need.

Cons

Staffing levels

Rewarding

It was a rewarding job, but could not see some of the unfortunate people suffering and it was effecting me personally That is why I had to terminate my service Being as ambulances or patient Officer takes special type of person to deal with the type of task

High stressful workload

Extremely high in workload and very stressful everyday. Very satisfying in helping the public in their time of distress. Love all my team members, we help each other

Pros

helping people

Cons

Peak hour traffic

Productive never a dull moment

Typical day at work is answering 000 calls and not knowing what is going to happen on the other end of the line. To be able to help someone who is in need of paramedical services is awarding enough. I enjoy the interaction between the public, paramedics, medical staff in which I deal through everyday.

Pros

The Challenge

Cons

Long shifts

Great Company

Check vehicles and all equipment. I transported patients to and from home for appointments. and discharges from hospital to home or other medical facilities. Work with another officer or single. Work in with other allied health care professionals. to ensure safety and full care for the patient.

Pros

Working with some amazing people

Cons

nil

Toxic corporate environment

Front line management is top notch - corporate culture is cancerous. No support, no guidance and no career pathway options. Misrepresentations made about career opportunities within and actively blocked from pursing other avenues.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NSW Ambulance. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Learn about NSW Ambulance in popular locations