NSW Department of Communities and Justice
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

NSW Department of Communities and Justice Employee Reviews

3.7Work–Life Balance

Stressful but rewarding workplace with no where to hide

Working in the Child Protection field requires commitment and focus. Working with families is the easy part - bureaucracy at it's finest, lots of paperwork. Opportunity to work creatively to provide good outcomes for children/ young people and families, if you have a forward thinking manager. Great comaraderie and support amongst colleagues. There is a high expectation that you will perform to the optimal of your ability - there is no where to bluff or hide!.

Pros

Good wages, passionate & qualified colleagues, maternity leave, opportunity to progress

Cons

High stress, working within a bureaucracy in a field that is damned if you do, damned if you don't

Good Place to work

Great colleagues. Main direction from management was not clear. A bit vague. Otherwise a great place. Would recommend for people to work in - but it being my first Job ever at Govt. it was a cultural experience for me - as I have all throughout worked in Private organisations.

Pros

Good Working hours. Good Life Balance.

Cons

Clarity of Direction Vague

CFO a tyrant

I left because the CFO placed an unqualified stooge in the Chief Procurement Officers role over the incumbent qualified candidate. Who then in turn placed his friends also unqualified into strategic procurement roles. Corrupt. Unethical

Pros

State Government pay rates are generous

Cons

Malfeasance and corrupt conduct. Nepotism

High performing individuals, eager to succeed

I worked with high performing individuals who were eager to succeed. A collaborative work environment with tight turnarounds and high volumes of work.

Workplace could be improved to be more satisfying for staff who work in at times a very difficult environment.

Challenging workplace, shift work can take it's toll on families and partners, limited opportunity for promotion as plenty of staff competing for limited roles. During my career many good staff left and took other careers due to frustration with indecision's from some levels of management and the reluctance of management to balance the needs of staff to perform their roles.

Culture Varies from One Area to Another

Culture at Department of Justice varies, depending on the area. In one area, people seem happy and work collaboratively. In another, people are stressed, some feel bullied and find it hard to get holidays approved. I like being able to attend non-work related activities. I wish there is more focus on people welfare & upskilling, and really getting things right to protect & properly manage government funds.

Stressful place to work.

Work is repetitive and ad hoc. Not streamlined. Management is biased and indirect discrimination. Not much training offered. Overall employee relations not good.

Pros

Good location, flexible working hours

Cons

work culture.

Colleagues were collaborative and helpful

The project management team were peer experienced and well suited for a fast paced program of construction, the team shared experiences with problem solving on similar issues. Most projects were similar in complexity and the procurement strategies were similar therefore there was a common theme throughout the program

Support from Management Lacking

As with most Government departments in my experience, you will find that management does not support career advancement at all. You must make your career your own, and if you ever want to progress in your career in Department of Justice, you will have to end some friendships and even step over your own manager to get there.

Productivity based on a not modern and evidence based management styele

Managers run on an old school management style. I have learned a lot about priority and outcomes based contracting. Based on an strategic vision I have developed policy and commissioning development. Colleagues were nice and approachable

Jobs at NSW Department of Communities and Justice

See more jobs

Close to home

Workplace culture is good, a typical day consists of a heavy workload to get through. I learned a lot in the Justice Department and even participated in tbe Public Speaking club which was run onsite during lunchbreaks. The hardest part of the job is getting through all the caseloads per day and coping with the demand. Mangement is good. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting some of the nicest people in the workplace and learning so much more of the Department in general

I have enjoyed working for the Dept of Justice, its a good department to work for. They can be flexible with work hours, just need to plan ahead that all. Everyone appears to be helpful and friendly.

Great bunch of people

Government jobs with great benefits. Pros: Leave,Schedule ,Paid Overtime, this job is what you make of it. It can be a career or just a Job. Cons: Sometimes management is not on the same page as front line staff

It was educational for me

As Youth worker I found that we were not organizing activities much which I believe would be beneficial to the offenders. Loved my job as conference convenor

Interesting and Enjoyable work

The people at NSW Department of justice are a bunch of people you would want to work with for your career. I loved working here due to the work being interesting, no day was the same. Management was very good. I learnt a lot about myself working here.

Very poor culture

Very poor culture and repressive people management style. The management threaten and treat contingent labour very poorly and as second class citizens.

Pros

Cons

Long unpaid hours

Short stay, enjoyed the team

Really enjoyed this short role of 6 weeks. My management were so good to work for, in social housing policy. Not uptight, not micro managers, but worked to a given task, and I was happy because of the environment. They were going trough a restructure so felt for some of the staff being in that situation.

Pros

Relaxed, good management, enjoyed my short time there.

Cons

some uncertainty with the restructure, location for me.

Influential and productive working environment

I enjoyed my time with DJ as it is known as it provided the opportunity to engage internal and external stakeholders in enacting, implementing and analysing policies that impacted on people at the grassroot level.

Pros

Fun and ideal working culture

Cons

Contracted roles

Nice place to work

NSW Department of Justice was good place to work. The company provided life balanced work approach. The management was friendly and work was well organised.

Pros

Friendly work atmosphere

Cons

Procurement of hardware was very problematic

hard work, full on

It is what it is. A Correctional Officer has a high risk position working with inmates. The service can lack a bit of leadership and a lot is left to inexperienced Officers who, if they get it right will get no praise and if they get it wrong are chastised. Re the Stores position, it is groundhog day per week. Every week is full on and repetitive. It is outdated and cumbersome with all suggestions to improve ignored by management. It can have a good atmosphere with the communication between staff and inmates at times and we all work together as a team to get it all done.

Pros

weekends off re stores

Cons

old fashioned systems that are slow and cause problems

great place to work

Great place to work - Friendly staff and good benefits. The work is interesting, with a variety of issues dealt with every day. I would recommend working here.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NSW Department of Communities and Justice. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• NSW Department of Communities and Justice