NSW Department of Education

NSW Department of Education Employee Reviews

Australia115 reviews

3.8Work–Life Balance

Not enough work but good pay

Pay is quite high working as a tutor for the department of education. $60 - $80 per hour. But the shifts are really short. Like 2, 2 hour sessions per week max.

Pros

Good Pay

Cons

Not enough working hours

A very busy office but a great team ethic

I started with the NSW Department of Education at an entry level and I have gained promotions over many years to achieve my goals, due to the ongoing professional development options.

Bullying by executive staff is rampant

management need to take a serious look at their behaviour.Workplace culture is toxic.The most enjoyable part of this job is having the satisfaction the students are happy and learning.

Pros

supporting students

Cons

Bullying

Good

A great place to work at, highly recommended, good stuff, good crew, love that all… why would you want to work anywhere else when you can work with absolute gunners.

Relaxing and supportive environment

The DoE has been the best employer I’ve ever had. Management at my school are incredibly understanding, supportive, and flexible, and they truly care about you. There’s a strong focus on upskilling employees through professional development and higher education, as well as on mental well-being since the job can sometimes be a bit stressful.

Stressful

Working in the department of education can be rewarding. The problem is that the pay does not reflect the amount of work you are expected to do. The extra unpaid hours needed for the job is unsustainable. Behaviour management is the main focus of the job whereas it should be maths and English

Pros

Holidays

Cons

Busy, demanding but very rewarding.

The Department of Education are forever changing and adapting to the needs of the time. I am sure there will be many changes in the future as it has to be that way.

Pros

Personally rewarding in a way that only a teacher will understand.

Cons

Busy, demanding, too much paperwork and box ticking.

Stressful

Everyone knows that teaching is not at ALL what it used to be. The education system is slipping, and standardised testing, collection of data and a crowded curriculum means you rarely get to know or care for your students because you are so stressed all the time. Shameful.

Be very careful of the Principle and of your Head Teacher

I loved teaching the students who had chosen the stage 6 science subjects and my students achieved great results.......but the NSW DoE is run by a gang of executives who stick together and if one of the gang doesn't like you for a personal reason (not professional), the ruthlessness will rear its ugly head and all kinds of absurd accusations will be leveled at you and your once secure, permanent, full-time position with the DoE will be no longer. No matter how hard you had worked and how passionate you were (in fact, I still am) about public education and about your teaching subject. The Dept. of EDUCATION of all govt. departments will lie and push you to the brink of taking your own life without a care in the world for you as a staff member or for your own children who would be left orphaned. It is a good place to work for 99% of people, it was good for me for 17 years, until I unluckily got on the wrong side of the wrong person for reasons too detailed to write here. Just watch your back if you choose to work for them.

High School Teacher

I dedicated 10 years to something that I loved, I was excited to go to work each day – however well before the pandemic schools have increasingly become the worst place to work! Crisis meetings are held regularly by executive staff and Principals to tackle serious growing concerns across all NSW schools such as significant teacher shortages and unsustainable workloads. Student's learning is neglected daily with classes often collapsed and covered by inexperienced casuals baby sitting classes. 10,000 or more teachers were sacked due to vaccines mandates placing significant pressure on schools to deliver learning to students already suffering during this tough time. The Education Minister and NSW Government need to seriously address the real world problems this profession is facing, until then it will continue to spiral downhill with teachers resigning daily. I do not recommend to anyone considering working here until these issues are addressed.

Cons

Teacher shortages, unsustainable workloads, much worse than a 9-5, always working during your holidays and weekends.

Horrible place to work

Don't bother . Worse place on earthUnorganised mess Mask police made up rules No futureBizarre budget Micro management Wfh promised then retracted Lousy location Transport to city is horribleZero work life balance

Great place to work! Highly recommended

Despite being on a contract within the corporate sector, and with less security than a permanent position, the culture and collaborative nature have been a positive experience. Good conditions, ongoing training, good work/life balance and great management team that always supports and guides.

Pros

Salary, training, work-life balance

Cons

Contract based, less security.

Great vision but poor place to work

A great vision to improve the lives of the more than 800,000 students.But the corporate culture, starting with the tone from the top, is poor and dysfunctional.Not enough focus on maximising the spend and too much of "we have always done it that way".Too many restructures mask over the core issues of having the wrong people in a number of roles.Unrealistic expectations of staff including when requirements change frequently. Not enough work/life balance despite it being spoken about.

Great opportunity

Opening more doors for future growth. Very competitive. Have flexibility, accountability with support for well being.

Pros

Wellbeing and flexible options for working.

Workplace ethos is determined by the Principal and varies greatly between campuses.

Each school / campus is run by the Principal which can be dictatorial or consultative. With time the demands on teachers are increasing, leading to increasing numbers of teachers suffering burnout.

Pros

Can be a great experience if You score a supportive school, and if you are prepared to learn from those around you (students and staff).

Cons

Never ending data collection, PL that isn’t useful, meetings, lack of respect from parents and staff, constant demands on your ‘free time’ that should be used for lesson prep, too much admin work.

The place to be if you are a teacher.

Schools can be very different. Overwhelmingly the staff are friendly and collaboration is the order of the day. There is a tendency to lose this collaboration as you move into executive positions but again this is a culture that comes down from the top. If the Principal is collaborative, the school is pleasant. As Principals change so does the culture of the workplace. It's a lottery, some times you win.

Pros

Collegiate atmosphere, make lifelong friends. Watch students mature and become adults.

Cons

High degree of administration and reporting which actually detracts from teaching.

Live to work not work to live

The job becomes your life and your family suffers. Your relationship is seriously affected especially in a real small town. Good for single person with no life.

Cons

Great benefits but no job security

Most of the people I worked with at NSW DOE were in temporary roles for several years on end. There was a lot of fear about what would happen when the latest contract ends.

Pros

Great location and benefits

Cons

Most jobs are only short-term.

Lots of free lunches, and morning tea's after meetings

Worked four years on-and-off in a tree different projects, about Information Management and a digitalisation implementation, as a team leader I supervised the quality of work and allocated tasks in a planed schedule of distribution work by a corporate divisions.

Pros

Lots meeting with good Morning tea's and Lunches

Cons

Good organisation to work for.

A fun environment where you work with a variety of people. Can be stressful at times wading through the mountains of paperwork but if you stay on top of it you will be fine. Must enjoy working with children but also, and less obviously, must enjoy working with a multitude of adults as parents really value teachers who love having their input and involvement. Long hours but rewarding.

Flexible working environment with supportive colleagues

Great people and enjoyable work. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in this position. There is always support available from colleagues and managers and opportunities to learn and develop new skills. The pay is great in comparison to other employers offering similar roles and work-life balance is a priority, which was a big plus for me.

Pros

work-life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NSW Department of Education. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare NSW Department of Education with