NSW Department of Education
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
View all NSW Department of Education reviews

NSW Department of Education

NSW Department of Education Employee Review

I have outstanding expertise in training Reading Recovery teachers.

My role as a Reading Recovery Tutor involves training new Reading Recovery teachers, providing on-going professional learning for trained Reading Recovery teachers, teaching children myself in Reading Recovery and contributing my expertise within a larger corporate body.

Pros

We change children's lives in Reading Recovery.

Cons

Nothing negative about my job

Same location

Great sense of camaraderie and sense of purpose

The most enjoyable part of the job is rapport with students and seeing them learning, building confidence and enjoying their youth. The hardest part of the job is writing reports. Workplace culture can vary. Mostly people try to get along. Sometimes it can feel competitive. The management can vary also. From seemingly unthinking dictator type to down to earth relaxed but progressive type of Principal.

Workplace ethos is determined by the Principal and varies greatly between campuses.

Each school / campus is run by the Principal which can be dictatorial or consultative. With time the demands on teachers are increasing, leading to increasing numbers of teachers suffering burnout.

Pros

Can be a great experience if You score a supportive school, and if you are prepared to learn from those around you (students and staff).

Cons

Never ending data collection, PL that isn’t useful, meetings, lack of respect from parents and staff, constant demands on your ‘free time’ that should be used for lesson prep, too much admin work.

The place to be if you are a teacher.

Schools can be very different. Overwhelmingly the staff are friendly and collaboration is the order of the day. There is a tendency to lose this collaboration as you move into executive positions but again this is a culture that comes down from the top. If the Principal is collaborative, the school is pleasant. As Principals change so does the culture of the workplace. It's a lottery, some times you win.

Pros

Collegiate atmosphere, make lifelong friends. Watch students mature and become adults.

Cons

High degree of administration and reporting which actually detracts from teaching.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NSW Department of Education. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• NSW Department of Education
  • I have outstanding expertise in training Reading Recovery teachers.