NSW Department of Education
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Working at NSW Department of Education: 102 NSW Department of Education Reviews

3.9Work–Life Balance

Workplace ethos is determined by the Principal and varies greatly between campuses.

Each school / campus is run by the Principal which can be dictatorial or consultative. With time the demands on teachers are increasing, leading to increasing numbers of teachers suffering burnout.

Pros

Can be a great experience if You score a supportive school, and if you are prepared to learn from those around you (students and staff).

Cons

Never ending data collection, PL that isn’t useful, meetings, lack of respect from parents and staff, constant demands on your ‘free time’ that should be used for lesson prep, too much admin work.

The place to be if you are a teacher.

Schools can be very different. Overwhelmingly the staff are friendly and collaboration is the order of the day. There is a tendency to lose this collaboration as you move into executive positions but again this is a culture that comes down from the top. If the Principal is collaborative, the school is pleasant. As Principals change so does the culture of the workplace. It's a lottery, some times you win.

Pros

Collegiate atmosphere, make lifelong friends. Watch students mature and become adults.

Cons

High degree of administration and reporting which actually detracts from teaching.

Live to work not work to live

The job becomes your life and your family suffers. Your relationship is seriously affected especially in a real small town. Good for single person with no life.

Cons

Great benefits but no job security

Most of the people I worked with at NSW DOE were in temporary roles for several years on end. There was a lot of fear about what would happen when the latest contract ends.

Pros

Great location and benefits

Cons

Most jobs are only short-term.

Lots of free lunches, and morning tea's after meetings

Worked four years on-and-off in a tree different projects, about Information Management and a digitalisation implementation, as a team leader I supervised the quality of work and allocated tasks in a planed schedule of distribution work by a corporate divisions.

Pros

Lots meeting with good Morning tea's and Lunches

Cons

Good organisation to work for.

A fun environment where you work with a variety of people. Can be stressful at times wading through the mountains of paperwork but if you stay on top of it you will be fine. Must enjoy working with children but also, and less obviously, must enjoy working with a multitude of adults as parents really value teachers who love having their input and involvement. Long hours but rewarding.

Flexible working environment with supportive colleagues

Great people and enjoyable work. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in this position. There is always support available from colleagues and managers and opportunities to learn and develop new skills. The pay is great in comparison to other employers offering similar roles and work-life balance is a priority, which was a big plus for me.

Pros

work-life balance

What a joke.

The second worst job experience ever.I had at least 8 bosses who were not my actual boss.Expected to work large amounts of overtime without pay. Including weekends, public holidays and emergency after hour callouts.No training provided and refusal to pay for skills such as dangerous goods handling.Was expected to carry out dangerous jobs such as chemical handling, high voltage electrical work, asbestos, tree pruning, plumbing and other trade jobs I was not qualified to do. eg Air con maintenance.

Pros

work hours

Cons

management

Collaborative and supportive workplace

I started at the NSW Department of Education as a contractor within the state office. From there i was fortunate enough to receive an opportunity to apply for permanency which I have now had for over a year. The culture within the workplace is extremely collaborative and enjoyable. Everyone is nice, supportive and we are all able to enjoy working together in a fun and outgoing office, but also work hard as a team to get the job done. Management/leadership is extremely supportive offering opportunities where possible for further development in support of career progression. They are also supportive of flexible work arrangements and encourage a healthy/work life balance.

Pros

Career progression, supportive leadership team, great collegues

Collaborative & supportive environment

Working with DoE as a contractor within HR has been a refreshing change for me at this point in my career. Hard work is rewarded and acknowledged and my team is highly collaborative as we all work together towards collective goals. Management is open about structural changes which occur and are always transparent about employment updates and career progression. Best of all, we have flexible working hours which means we can have a good work/life balance. In addition, the role has taught me a lot more than I expected and always provides avenues to grow my skills in different areas. I am really grateful to be part of this team.

Pros

Great office and location, good salary, support structures in place, flexible working conditions

Cons

Job security is hard to attain as a contractor, like most other jobs.

salary

The salary packaging is low compared to the workload. There is a lack of recognition of work and minimum chances of stepping up. Not much of career progression.

Pros

very flexible work environment

Cons

lack of recognition

Supportive staff

NSW Department of Education secondary schools are quite stressful workplaces. The staff collaboration is generally quite helpful, but there are many troubled young people who bring their concerns into the classroom.

Enjoy working for them ATSO

It is school term based work. Well organised and safety based in providing children that are challenged with safe transport to and from school. It does not cover when the holidays are on. It is casual work and it being at either end of the day requires a split shift situation, which fits in with my business activities in the middle of the day. Employees need to be child centred patient and medically trained for first aid.

Enjoyable

For me, I enjoyed working for the Department, but flexibility for me was difficult with family commitments as I needed more flexible hours and with my position, I was unable to achieve this. This was to no ones fault as it could not be offered.

Stressful, uninformed and unsupported to do the position.

The workplace culture is toxic in some schools, and there is no avenue to improve. To transfer, or negotiate for change to improve is impossible, I have tried. DET management seem intent on successful media launches and PR spin. It is impossible to know what is happening in order to plan, this was pre COVID 19. It is through the media that you are informed of updates. Most frustrating situation to be in in the workplace. The most enjoyable part of the job is the children in schools. It is really down to the leadership team in the school, some are happy.

An excellent experience with brilliant rewards

No two days were ever the same. Making sure that all students were treated with courtesy and respect ensured that I had no discipline problems at all. Staff were mostly united and importantly communication was the key ingredient. Transparency and honesty was essential when dealing with all stakeholders. However the changes in education have made it impossible for some teachers to exist... Try not to be an English teacher or a Math teacher etc... Be a school teacher and try to ensure that your students leave your classroom better people than when they arrived.

Great department to work with

The department provide employees with ongoing opportunities and incentives to learn, develop and grow. Great culture, people are driven and motivated by the purpose to help.

Collaborative and interesting

Working as a casual teacher provides lots of opportunity to engage with different students, teachers and schools. It allows flexibility, a reduction in the usual pressure associated with full time teachin

Flexible working environment with opportunities for advancement

I arrived at the department as a contractor, initially for a few months, and I am still here a few years later – which is perhaps the finest personal testament I can give about the team I have been working with. There are many teams across the department, each with their own managerial styles and team cultures, so in that sense it is no different to any other work environment. But I am happy to say that the team I have been involved with are in general a very friendly and supportive bunch of people. A mobile work environment makes flexible working arrangements possible – even encouraged. This is great if you have outside or family obligations that require your time, and it means, with the current climate, that working from home is viable and easy. At this writing, I’ve yet to take advantage of it, but it’s nice to know I’ll be able to when needed. In addition, the ready availability of training courses, online learning resources, and secondment opportunities with other teams across the department provides every chance of career advancement for those who are willing to take advantage of it.

Did not support contractors

No support or life balance for contractors, difficult to get things done and work with the teams. Department moved to Parramatta not ideal for many people around Sydney.

Love the kids, don't love the politics

I thoroughly enjoyed my job as a teacher in NSW. The kids were awesome and I loved that the work was always different and exciting. I loved the creativity of the work. The politics between the teachers and the government was the biggest downfall. Working in a large school there are a lot of different opinions about how things should work, and that often made it hard for any new ideas to come into play. Some of the training is meaningful, but most is utterly useless and a waste of time. The pay is really good and the benefits are great!!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NSW Department of Education. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• NSW Department of Education