NSW Department of Education
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

NSW Department of Education Employee Reviews for Teacher

4.0Work–Life Balance

The place to be if you are a teacher.

Schools can be very different. Overwhelmingly the staff are friendly and collaboration is the order of the day. There is a tendency to lose this collaboration as you move into executive positions but again this is a culture that comes down from the top. If the Principal is collaborative, the school is pleasant. As Principals change so does the culture of the workplace. It's a lottery, some times you win.

Pros

Collegiate atmosphere, make lifelong friends. Watch students mature and become adults.

Cons

High degree of administration and reporting which actually detracts from teaching.

A fantastic job for a school teacher

A supportive environment. Relieving teacher role was varied and interesting. Excellent training opportunities. All schools close to my home address. Many career opportunities available A happy career choice for me

Pros

lots of interaction with students, staff and parents

Cons

I can't think of any

A very difficult job working for a Government department that is often difficult to contact and very inflexible.

Teachers are not paid nearly enough for the work they do considering the high level of multiple skills required, long hours which are not remunerated per hour and an extremely stressful work environment putting up with behaviour from some students which would be considered abusive in any other workplace.

Pros

School Holidays, though teachers use some of this time to prepare for the upcoming school term.

Cons

Very long hours, not all at school, but preparation and assessment take up considerable out of school hours for most teachers.

productive workplace

lots of variety in the day to day teaching load. Positive workplace in many schools especially if Management and/or principal takes a proactive approach

clumsy, just hopeless beauracrats...

Their websites are hopeless and clumsy...the staff portal just so clumsy and old fashioned....new payroll systems so hopelessly clumsy, nothing works....

Awesome Employer

I loved working as a teacher for the Department of Education NSW. I worked at two schools in Sydney and loved my time there. I was paid a rate that I felt was appropriate for my job requirements.

Pros

Pay

Rewarding job with job security

Looking for a change. Happy to work part-time for a career change. Would like to go back to a consulting job in a public organisation, such as charity organisation.

Working within the Catholic Education system

The culture is similar yet different. The class sizs are smaller and thus easier to attend to students needs and easier to mamage the students within the class.

Pros

Lot of professional development

Cons

More pressure for results

A well-paid but very stressful occupation.

I taught in various positions for over twenty years,gaining experience in many different fields. I enjoyed working as a physical education teacher,especially with disabled children,as it made me think quickly and improvise ways of getting the children active and moving within their limitations.

Pros

Long holidays for permanent teachers

Cons

Workload, Stress

Large political focussed organisation

Hard to sort out staff and management issued in a large bureaucracy who didn't care and the culture of bullying and harassment always covered by higher levels and complaints go unnoticed. Merit selection for advancement disgraceful and nepotism rife and appeals process non -existent. Good future conditions if you can handle incompetent teachers and administration for a long time.

Just love the teaching and staff atmosphere.

Teaching students is a privilege. It's fun and engaging and very rewarding. My co-workers have been supportive and positive and management is concerned about the staff's wellbeing. It's most enjoyable and a great feeling when students can think laterally and for themselves and make positive improvements. The most difficult part of the job is all the paperwork but it needs to be done. Education has taught me and continues to teach me about the stunning accomplishments individuals can make with affirmative action in all areas.

Teaching children with special needs

This position was very demanding but also very rewarding. The relationships I built with the children and their families are very special.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NSW Department of Education. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

NSW Department of Education Reviews by Location