NSW Department of Education
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

NSW Department of Education Culture reviews

Clear
4.0Work–Life Balance

Collaborative and supportive workplace

I started at the NSW Department of Education as a contractor within the state office. From there i was fortunate enough to receive an opportunity to apply for permanency which I have now had for over a year. The culture within the workplace is extremely collaborative and enjoyable. Everyone is nice, supportive and we are all able to enjoy working together in a fun and outgoing office, but also work hard as a team to get the job done. Management/leadership is extremely supportive offering opportunities where possible for further development in support of career progression. They are also supportive of flexible work arrangements and encourage a healthy/work life balance.

Pros

Career progression, supportive leadership team, great collegues

Stressful, uninformed and unsupported to do the position.

The workplace culture is toxic in some schools, and there is no avenue to improve. To transfer, or negotiate for change to improve is impossible, I have tried. DET management seem intent on successful media launches and PR spin. It is impossible to know what is happening in order to plan, this was pre COVID 19. It is through the media that you are informed of updates. Most frustrating situation to be in in the workplace. The most enjoyable part of the job is the children in schools. It is really down to the leadership team in the school, some are happy.

Great department to work with

The department provide employees with ongoing opportunities and incentives to learn, develop and grow. Great culture, people are driven and motivated by the purpose to help.

Flexible working environment with opportunities for advancement

I arrived at the department as a contractor, initially for a few months, and I am still here a few years later – which is perhaps the finest personal testament I can give about the team I have been working with. There are many teams across the department, each with their own managerial styles and team cultures, so in that sense it is no different to any other work environment. But I am happy to say that the team I have been involved with are in general a very friendly and supportive bunch of people. A mobile work environment makes flexible working arrangements possible – even encouraged. This is great if you have outside or family obligations that require your time, and it means, with the current climate, that working from home is viable and easy. At this writing, I’ve yet to take advantage of it, but it’s nice to know I’ll be able to when needed. In addition, the ready availability of training courses, online learning resources, and secondment opportunities with other teams across the department provides every chance of career advancement for those who are willing to take advantage of it.

Don’t turn your back

Or you will miss when to duck the knives being thrown by colleagues and supposed team leaders. There are employee policies in abundance, however they are not supported at a local level.

Great workplace

I have never been happier working at DOE. Management work hard and lead by example. So much support from management its the BEST place I have ever worked for.

Pros

work is always different challenging

Cons

none love it

Great sense of camaraderie and sense of purpose

The most enjoyable part of the job is rapport with students and seeing them learning, building confidence and enjoying their youth. The hardest part of the job is writing reports. Workplace culture can vary. Mostly people try to get along. Sometimes it can feel competitive. The management can vary also. From seemingly unthinking dictator type to down to earth relaxed but progressive type of Principal.

Poor culture and CEO

The hardest part is the focus by the CEO on supporting people because they are liked rather than capable. The culture has deteriorated significantly over the past year.

Love working as a teachers aid

Typical day is assisting children with their school work and assisting the teachers with their classes. the work place culture is different with every school that you visit. I love being able to help the children and help them achieve their goals

Pros

helping kids

Cons

hard to get contracts

Responsibility Overview

I am currently accountable for the performance and planning of IAM Services into Schools and TAFE and limited IAM Services into Non-Government Schools. The Department operates out of 2,200 locations, including some of the remotest parts of the state. There are some 2 million active identities under management including Students, Teachers, In-School and Head Office Support Staff, generating some 80 million user and account lifecycle events and some 900,000 password resets each year.

Pros

Cons

Immature IT Service Management Culture

Work

I learned a lot, and got to work with some amazing people. The hardest part of is learning to balance everything but once you do, it is incredible and fun.

Had its perks but challenges, also.

I found the particular environment where I worked flawed by inconsistent management and unclear expectations. There were moments of brilliance, but overall, it proved to be a place of inside confrontations, and held a sense of unease. This is because of favouritism, bullying, work related back stabbing, which I have come to realise is quite prevalent in organisations such as this. Overall. it could be a source of a lot of satisfaction, if placed correctly with the appropriate work colleagues, with a clear vision of the situations at hand.I learnt the workplace culture is one to navigate around the best one can so as to be able to be productive at the highest standard.,

Pros

Hours, Holidays, people eg, children, variety.

Cons

Staff challenges, lack of communication. Unclear expectsations.

Produtive and a wonderful place to work with

one on one support for people we support, both parent, staff and contractors very supportive. Good work ethic, Department helpful when it comes to pay issues

Pros

can have a break when school breaks

Large political focussed organisation

Hard to sort out staff and management issued in a large bureaucracy who didn't care and the culture of bullying and harassment always covered by higher levels and complaints go unnoticed. Merit selection for advancement disgraceful and nepotism rife and appeals process non -existent. Good future conditions if you can handle incompetent teachers and administration for a long time.

Great working with different people

each day if different in a school environment . the students expect professional behaviour from teachers . Teachers have to learn to be good managers and sometimes the staff may not be as supportive as you need them . The culture of the school very much depends on the Principal .

Pros

School hours

Cons

School politics

Great workplace

The IT team at the Department of Education and Communities are a very organised and talented group of systems engineers and technicians.

Pros

Productive environment

Cons

Limited scope to develop

A stable environment with a relaxed culture and supportive colleagues.

The environment was very relaxed,staff were supportive and the management were understanding and willing to assist whenever possible. A typical day involved assisting teachers across NSW with their inquiries relating to salary, leave entitlements, tax related issues and other benefits.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NSW Department of Education. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• NSW Department of Education
  • Culture
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?