NSW Department of Education
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

NSW Department of Education Job Security & Advancement reviews

Clear
4.0Work–Life Balance
3.7Job Security & Advancement

Great benefits but no job security

Most of the people I worked with at NSW DOE were in temporary roles for several years on end. There was a lot of fear about what would happen when the latest contract ends.

Pros

Great location and benefits

Cons

Most jobs are only short-term.

Flexible working environment with supportive colleagues

Great people and enjoyable work. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in this position. There is always support available from colleagues and managers and opportunities to learn and develop new skills. The pay is great in comparison to other employers offering similar roles and work-life balance is a priority, which was a big plus for me.

Pros

work-life balance

Collaborative and supportive workplace

I started at the NSW Department of Education as a contractor within the state office. From there i was fortunate enough to receive an opportunity to apply for permanency which I have now had for over a year. The culture within the workplace is extremely collaborative and enjoyable. Everyone is nice, supportive and we are all able to enjoy working together in a fun and outgoing office, but also work hard as a team to get the job done. Management/leadership is extremely supportive offering opportunities where possible for further development in support of career progression. They are also supportive of flexible work arrangements and encourage a healthy/work life balance.

Pros

Career progression, supportive leadership team, great collegues

Collaborative & supportive environment

Working with DoE as a contractor within HR has been a refreshing change for me at this point in my career. Hard work is rewarded and acknowledged and my team is highly collaborative as we all work together towards collective goals. Management is open about structural changes which occur and are always transparent about employment updates and career progression. Best of all, we have flexible working hours which means we can have a good work/life balance. In addition, the role has taught me a lot more than I expected and always provides avenues to grow my skills in different areas. I am really grateful to be part of this team.

Pros

Great office and location, good salary, support structures in place, flexible working conditions

Cons

Job security is hard to attain as a contractor, like most other jobs.

salary

The salary packaging is low compared to the workload. There is a lack of recognition of work and minimum chances of stepping up. Not much of career progression.

Pros

very flexible work environment

Cons

lack of recognition

Enjoyable

For me, I enjoyed working for the Department, but flexibility for me was difficult with family commitments as I needed more flexible hours and with my position, I was unable to achieve this. This was to no ones fault as it could not be offered.

Great department to work with

The department provide employees with ongoing opportunities and incentives to learn, develop and grow. Great culture, people are driven and motivated by the purpose to help.

Collaborative and interesting

Working as a casual teacher provides lots of opportunity to engage with different students, teachers and schools. It allows flexibility, a reduction in the usual pressure associated with full time teachin

Flexible working environment with opportunities for advancement

I arrived at the department as a contractor, initially for a few months, and I am still here a few years later – which is perhaps the finest personal testament I can give about the team I have been working with. There are many teams across the department, each with their own managerial styles and team cultures, so in that sense it is no different to any other work environment. But I am happy to say that the team I have been involved with are in general a very friendly and supportive bunch of people. A mobile work environment makes flexible working arrangements possible – even encouraged. This is great if you have outside or family obligations that require your time, and it means, with the current climate, that working from home is viable and easy. At this writing, I’ve yet to take advantage of it, but it’s nice to know I’ll be able to when needed. In addition, the ready availability of training courses, online learning resources, and secondment opportunities with other teams across the department provides every chance of career advancement for those who are willing to take advantage of it.

Did not support contractors

No support or life balance for contractors, difficult to get things done and work with the teams. Department moved to Parramatta not ideal for many people around Sydney.

Questionable

Lacking support in various areas & matters. Extreme lack of job security. Leadership needs a set of balls. Unethical decision making at times. Everyone for themselves, no guaranteed support in times of struggle & /or need in various circumstances.

Good experience

Good experience. I worked as a contractor there. This is my 1st contractor experience. Do not know how it compares with others. But people there are helpful.

Productive, challenging, very rewarding work environment

I feel fortunate and very blessed I had opportunity to work for NSW Department of Education for a period of 12 years. It was highly professional, challenging, rewarding, collaborative work environment. Excellent offices, excellent work conditions, excellent life work balance, I miss working for NSW Department of Education. I would recommend NSW Department of Education as a great employer.

A fantastic job for a school teacher

A supportive environment. Relieving teacher role was varied and interesting. Excellent training opportunities. All schools close to my home address. Many career opportunities available A happy career choice for me

Pros

lots of interaction with students, staff and parents

Cons

I can't think of any

Has employee benefits and flexible environment

The IT department does cohere well, but such a large organisation is still plagues by the enormity of the organisational structure. Large number of contract staff that are completely goals oriented without seeing the big picture

Pros

flexible work place

Cons

Empires to be built

Educational, fun and ver reearding on a daily basis work place.

Being a teachers aide is an enjoyable career to hold, it gives great rewards of self pleasure to be able to teach another humans mind something educational.

Pros

Educating kids daily.

Cons

Very rewarding to teach a child.

Work

I learned a lot, and got to work with some amazing people. The hardest part of is learning to balance everything but once you do, it is incredible and fun.

Highly enjoyable position

A high level of positive experience was attained during this position. Working across different schools with complex case loads was very busy yet enjoyable and interesting.

Rewarding job with job security

Looking for a change. Happy to work part-time for a career change. Would like to go back to a consulting job in a public organisation, such as charity organisation.

Good Job

Busy workplace Inadequate training Limited advancement Good to work with children and families. Great staff with support and interaction Not good in certain instances where friends or relatives age hire before better suited applicants

Pros

Permanent job

Cons

No support when needed

great to work for students education purposes

Education is rewarding.Great conditions and opportunities for advancement in position.There is a lot of marking of students work on order to give proper feedback to any age of student, K to year 8. Behaviour of students can be challenging when teaching a task to many at one time , such as ,a new way of doing an algorithm or writing. I am usually able to engage the students by making the lesson enjoyable by adding in interesting facts and tips to make the work a little easier to understand and complete.

Pros

good working hours

Cons

a lot of marking

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NSW Department of Education. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• NSW Department of Education
  • Job Security & Advancement
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?