NSW Department of Education
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

NSW Department of Education Management reviews

Clear
4.0Work–Life Balance

Lots of free lunches, and morning tea's after meetings

Worked four years on-and-off in a tree different projects, about Information Management and a digitalisation implementation, as a team leader I supervised the quality of work and allocated tasks in a planed schedule of distribution work by a corporate divisions.

Pros

Lots meeting with good Morning tea's and Lunches

What a joke.

The second worst job experience ever.I had at least 8 bosses who were not my actual boss.Expected to work large amounts of overtime without pay. Including weekends, public holidays and emergency after hour callouts.No training provided and refusal to pay for skills such as dangerous goods handling.Was expected to carry out dangerous jobs such as chemical handling, high voltage electrical work, asbestos, tree pruning, plumbing and other trade jobs I was not qualified to do. eg Air con maintenance.

Pros

work hours

Cons

management

Collaborative and supportive workplace

I started at the NSW Department of Education as a contractor within the state office. From there i was fortunate enough to receive an opportunity to apply for permanency which I have now had for over a year. The culture within the workplace is extremely collaborative and enjoyable. Everyone is nice, supportive and we are all able to enjoy working together in a fun and outgoing office, but also work hard as a team to get the job done. Management/leadership is extremely supportive offering opportunities where possible for further development in support of career progression. They are also supportive of flexible work arrangements and encourage a healthy/work life balance.

Pros

Career progression, supportive leadership team, great collegues

Collaborative & supportive environment

Working with DoE as a contractor within HR has been a refreshing change for me at this point in my career. Hard work is rewarded and acknowledged and my team is highly collaborative as we all work together towards collective goals. Management is open about structural changes which occur and are always transparent about employment updates and career progression. Best of all, we have flexible working hours which means we can have a good work/life balance. In addition, the role has taught me a lot more than I expected and always provides avenues to grow my skills in different areas. I am really grateful to be part of this team.

Pros

Great office and location, good salary, support structures in place, flexible working conditions

Cons

Job security is hard to attain as a contractor, like most other jobs.

Stressful, uninformed and unsupported to do the position.

The workplace culture is toxic in some schools, and there is no avenue to improve. To transfer, or negotiate for change to improve is impossible, I have tried. DET management seem intent on successful media launches and PR spin. It is impossible to know what is happening in order to plan, this was pre COVID 19. It is through the media that you are informed of updates. Most frustrating situation to be in in the workplace. The most enjoyable part of the job is the children in schools. It is really down to the leadership team in the school, some are happy.

Don’t turn your back

Or you will miss when to duck the knives being thrown by colleagues and supposed team leaders. There are employee policies in abundance, however they are not supported at a local level.

Questionable

Lacking support in various areas & matters. Extreme lack of job security. Leadership needs a set of balls. Unethical decision making at times. Everyone for themselves, no guaranteed support in times of struggle & /or need in various circumstances.

Great workplace

I have never been happier working at DOE. Management work hard and lead by example. So much support from management its the BEST place I have ever worked for.

Pros

work is always different challenging

Cons

none love it

Great sense of camaraderie and sense of purpose

The most enjoyable part of the job is rapport with students and seeing them learning, building confidence and enjoying their youth. The hardest part of the job is writing reports. Workplace culture can vary. Mostly people try to get along. Sometimes it can feel competitive. The management can vary also. From seemingly unthinking dictator type to down to earth relaxed but progressive type of Principal.

Poor culture and CEO

The hardest part is the focus by the CEO on supporting people because they are liked rather than capable. The culture has deteriorated significantly over the past year.

Incredible Management Team / Slightly Toxic Culture

Came in as a middle age employee and found there to be many cliques. It was hard to fit in with existing staff who were all teenagers or on the verge of retirement. Contract hours agreed to at the commencement of employment didn't match expectations of what you were really supposed to work; all while it is made abundantly clear you won't be paid for those extra hours. So you have to choose to work for free to perform to expectation, or risk looking slow or incompetent if you only work what you are paid for. Management team were really bright, inspiring and motivating - a true asset to the department. The technology is quite up to date but the IT Support team are understaffed putting immense pressure on anyone having a slight tech emergency that needed immediate help and on the tech team themselves always run off their feet.

Pros

The department makes alot of headway quickly & you get to see results of your work fast.

Cons

My agreement didn't match the reality

Responsibility Overview

I am currently accountable for the performance and planning of IAM Services into Schools and TAFE and limited IAM Services into Non-Government Schools. The Department operates out of 2,200 locations, including some of the remotest parts of the state. There are some 2 million active identities under management including Students, Teachers, In-School and Head Office Support Staff, generating some 80 million user and account lifecycle events and some 900,000 password resets each year.

Pros

Cons

Immature IT Service Management Culture

productive workplace

lots of variety in the day to day teaching load. Positive workplace in many schools especially if Management and/or principal takes a proactive approach

Workplace amenities ergonomically friendly

The building was recently refitted and desks are ergonomically friendly. This is important because majority of the employees are older than in other organisations.

Had its perks but challenges, also.

I found the particular environment where I worked flawed by inconsistent management and unclear expectations. There were moments of brilliance, but overall, it proved to be a place of inside confrontations, and held a sense of unease. This is because of favouritism, bullying, work related back stabbing, which I have come to realise is quite prevalent in organisations such as this. Overall. it could be a source of a lot of satisfaction, if placed correctly with the appropriate work colleagues, with a clear vision of the situations at hand.I learnt the workplace culture is one to navigate around the best one can so as to be able to be productive at the highest standard.,

Pros

Hours, Holidays, people eg, children, variety.

Cons

Staff challenges, lack of communication. Unclear expectsations.

Large political focussed organisation

Hard to sort out staff and management issued in a large bureaucracy who didn't care and the culture of bullying and harassment always covered by higher levels and complaints go unnoticed. Merit selection for advancement disgraceful and nepotism rife and appeals process non -existent. Good future conditions if you can handle incompetent teachers and administration for a long time.

High Level Summary

Commercially astute finance professional with local and international business experience and excellent exposure across a wide range of industries including Financial Services, FMCG, IT, Software and more. Expert in the interpretation and dissemination of financial and commercial reporting information, supporting management with the data needed to make informed business decisions.

Intern

Good place to work gave exposure to management consulting. Receptive of new ideas which can be implemented to attract more business and betterment of the society.

Diverse and sometimes challenging job.

A diverse and sometimes challenging job. Children with disabilities have a wide range of behavioural patterns that can change due to change in medication, routine, or conditions (including mood). These behaviours can change at any instance. My role is assisting with taking these students with disabilities to and from school, maintaining vigilance, for their and others health and safety. I expected, before undertaking the job, that the students would be highly varied in their behaviour, particularly not understanding rules and how they should behave. However, these students have an understanding of the rules and what to expect once they are in the car or on the bus. As stated previously, their diverse behaviours are due to various reasons. And, they understand my role and my relationship to them. Management has informed me of any changes in the conditions of my job or contract. My co-workers have performed their role to the best of their abilities, as well as maintaining a comfortable environment for both the students and myself, while in the car or bus. The hardest part of my job is that some students have challenging behaviours that need to be regulated to keep themselves and others safe. The most enjoyable part of my job is when the students smile and say hi, when they are getting in to the car or get on the bus.

Excellent Work Place

I have enjoy working for NSW department of Education, Great Management and Colleagues to work with, I wish I can stay a bit longer but the Project is in it's delivery Mode.

Not applicable

It's 13 years since Working at Gulargambone Central School. Any job over 10 years since held cannot be reviewed because of the huge changeover of staff. The constant change in Technology and administration also affects how a business or organisation should be viewed.

Pros

No longer available

Cons

No longer available

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NSW Department of Education. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• NSW Department of Education