NSW Department of Education
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

NSW Department of Education Pay & Benefits reviews

Clear
4.0Work–Life Balance
4.1Pay & Benefits

Great benefits but no job security

Most of the people I worked with at NSW DOE were in temporary roles for several years on end. There was a lot of fear about what would happen when the latest contract ends.

Pros

Great location and benefits

Cons

Most jobs are only short-term.

Lots of free lunches, and morning tea's after meetings

Worked four years on-and-off in a tree different projects, about Information Management and a digitalisation implementation, as a team leader I supervised the quality of work and allocated tasks in a planed schedule of distribution work by a corporate divisions.

Pros

Lots meeting with good Morning tea's and Lunches

Collaborative & supportive environment

Working with DoE as a contractor within HR has been a refreshing change for me at this point in my career. Hard work is rewarded and acknowledged and my team is highly collaborative as we all work together towards collective goals. Management is open about structural changes which occur and are always transparent about employment updates and career progression. Best of all, we have flexible working hours which means we can have a good work/life balance. In addition, the role has taught me a lot more than I expected and always provides avenues to grow my skills in different areas. I am really grateful to be part of this team.

Pros

Great office and location, good salary, support structures in place, flexible working conditions

Cons

Job security is hard to attain as a contractor, like most other jobs.

salary

The salary packaging is low compared to the workload. There is a lack of recognition of work and minimum chances of stepping up. Not much of career progression.

Pros

very flexible work environment

Cons

lack of recognition

A very difficult job working for a Government department that is often difficult to contact and very inflexible.

Teachers are not paid nearly enough for the work they do considering the high level of multiple skills required, long hours which are not remunerated per hour and an extremely stressful work environment putting up with behaviour from some students which would be considered abusive in any other workplace.

Pros

School Holidays, though teachers use some of this time to prepare for the upcoming school term.

Cons

Very long hours, not all at school, but preparation and assessment take up considerable out of school hours for most teachers.

Awesome Employer

I loved working as a teacher for the Department of Education NSW. I worked at two schools in Sydney and loved my time there. I was paid a rate that I felt was appropriate for my job requirements.

Pros

Pay

Produtive and a wonderful place to work with

one on one support for people we support, both parent, staff and contractors very supportive. Good work ethic, Department helpful when it comes to pay issues

Pros

can have a break when school breaks

Primary School Teacher

It can be a very rewarding career if you love children and working extremely hard. You never get to switch off. Parents can be very painful and over the top. There are also very supportive parents out there who along with some children, make the job feel very worthwhile. It is not easy to gain a permanent teaching position, but from my experience if you are good at your job it is very easy to pick up casual work and long term contracts.

Pros

Good salary, rewarding

Cons

Always have work to take home, never switch off

A stable environment with a relaxed culture and supportive colleagues.

The environment was very relaxed,staff were supportive and the management were understanding and willing to assist whenever possible. A typical day involved assisting teachers across NSW with their inquiries relating to salary, leave entitlements, tax related issues and other benefits.

Lots of on the job training

Consolidated and put into practice my current (then) knowledge of the Workers Compensation and Rehabilitation system in the Department of Education as it relates to injured workers and what they are entitled to under the NSW Workers Compensation Act Legislation, the road to recovery and finally return to work as a fit and healthy worker

Pros

steady employment

Cons

long hours that would reap the rewards of being more able to help customers

Overall a great place to work

I enjoyed my time with the Department, I was able to advance my career from a Control Room Officer working a 7 day rotating roster to a Customer Service Officer on Flex Time. The majority of my work colleagues were great to work with. I was a little disillusioned with the Management. I was able to learn different duties so that I was able to be utilized in other areas of the Department. I was also able to start a Social Club to raise funds for our Christmas celebrations & other activities where we could raise money for charity. Saying goodbye to my colleagues.

Pros

Free secure car parking

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NSW Department of Education. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• NSW Department of Education