NSW Department of Education
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

NSW Department of Education Work–Life Balance reviews

Clear
4.0Work–Life Balance
4.1Pay & Benefits

Lots of free lunches, and morning tea's after meetings

Worked four years on-and-off in a tree different projects, about Information Management and a digitalisation implementation, as a team leader I supervised the quality of work and allocated tasks in a planed schedule of distribution work by a corporate divisions.

Pros

Lots meeting with good Morning tea's and Lunches

Cons

Live to work not work to live

The job becomes your life and your family suffers. Your relationship is seriously affected especially in a real small town. Good for single person with no life.

Cons

Good organisation to work for.

A fun environment where you work with a variety of people. Can be stressful at times wading through the mountains of paperwork but if you stay on top of it you will be fine. Must enjoy working with children but also, and less obviously, must enjoy working with a multitude of adults as parents really value teachers who love having their input and involvement. Long hours but rewarding.

Flexible working environment with supportive colleagues

Great people and enjoyable work. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in this position. There is always support available from colleagues and managers and opportunities to learn and develop new skills. The pay is great in comparison to other employers offering similar roles and work-life balance is a priority, which was a big plus for me.

Pros

work-life balance

Collaborative and supportive workplace

I started at the NSW Department of Education as a contractor within the state office. From there i was fortunate enough to receive an opportunity to apply for permanency which I have now had for over a year. The culture within the workplace is extremely collaborative and enjoyable. Everyone is nice, supportive and we are all able to enjoy working together in a fun and outgoing office, but also work hard as a team to get the job done. Management/leadership is extremely supportive offering opportunities where possible for further development in support of career progression. They are also supportive of flexible work arrangements and encourage a healthy/work life balance.

Pros

Career progression, supportive leadership team, great collegues

Collaborative & supportive environment

Working with DoE as a contractor within HR has been a refreshing change for me at this point in my career. Hard work is rewarded and acknowledged and my team is highly collaborative as we all work together towards collective goals. Management is open about structural changes which occur and are always transparent about employment updates and career progression. Best of all, we have flexible working hours which means we can have a good work/life balance. In addition, the role has taught me a lot more than I expected and always provides avenues to grow my skills in different areas. I am really grateful to be part of this team.

Pros

Great office and location, good salary, support structures in place, flexible working conditions

Cons

Job security is hard to attain as a contractor, like most other jobs.

salary

The salary packaging is low compared to the workload. There is a lack of recognition of work and minimum chances of stepping up. Not much of career progression.

Pros

very flexible work environment

Cons

lack of recognition

Collaborative and interesting

Working as a casual teacher provides lots of opportunity to engage with different students, teachers and schools. It allows flexibility, a reduction in the usual pressure associated with full time teachin

Did not support contractors

No support or life balance for contractors, difficult to get things done and work with the teams. Department moved to Parramatta not ideal for many people around Sydney.

Great workplace

I have never been happier working at DOE. Management work hard and lead by example. So much support from management its the BEST place I have ever worked for.

Pros

work is always different challenging

Cons

none love it

Productive, challenging, very rewarding work environment

I feel fortunate and very blessed I had opportunity to work for NSW Department of Education for a period of 12 years. It was highly professional, challenging, rewarding, collaborative work environment. Excellent offices, excellent work conditions, excellent life work balance, I miss working for NSW Department of Education. I would recommend NSW Department of Education as a great employer.

Great sense of camaraderie and sense of purpose

The most enjoyable part of the job is rapport with students and seeing them learning, building confidence and enjoying their youth. The hardest part of the job is writing reports. Workplace culture can vary. Mostly people try to get along. Sometimes it can feel competitive. The management can vary also. From seemingly unthinking dictator type to down to earth relaxed but progressive type of Principal.

A great place to work with.

We have an agile style. Everyone knows what they are going to do for the day. Priority does change as the day proceed. It is a highly productive, effective environment. Great to be here!

A fantastic job for a school teacher

A supportive environment. Relieving teacher role was varied and interesting. Excellent training opportunities. All schools close to my home address. Many career opportunities available A happy career choice for me

Pros

lots of interaction with students, staff and parents

Cons

I can't think of any

Has employee benefits and flexible environment

The IT department does cohere well, but such a large organisation is still plagues by the enormity of the organisational structure. Large number of contract staff that are completely goals oriented without seeing the big picture

Pros

flexible work place

Cons

Empires to be built

Responsibility Overview

I am currently accountable for the performance and planning of IAM Services into Schools and TAFE and limited IAM Services into Non-Government Schools. The Department operates out of 2,200 locations, including some of the remotest parts of the state. There are some 2 million active identities under management including Students, Teachers, In-School and Head Office Support Staff, generating some 80 million user and account lifecycle events and some 900,000 password resets each year.

Pros

Cons

Immature IT Service Management Culture

A very difficult job working for a Government department that is often difficult to contact and very inflexible.

Teachers are not paid nearly enough for the work they do considering the high level of multiple skills required, long hours which are not remunerated per hour and an extremely stressful work environment putting up with behaviour from some students which would be considered abusive in any other workplace.

Pros

School Holidays, though teachers use some of this time to prepare for the upcoming school term.

Cons

Very long hours, not all at school, but preparation and assessment take up considerable out of school hours for most teachers.

Interesting opportunities

Positive environment of people thriving to create a positive change in our current day schooling systems. It was good to have people listen to student ideas and what they believe should change in schools.

Rewarding job with job security

Looking for a change. Happy to work part-time for a career change. Would like to go back to a consulting job in a public organisation, such as charity organisation.

Security

Once a position with The Department of Education is secured, you can enjoy a career with relative security provided you meet government standards. There is plenty of room for growth for those who seek it.

Pros

Week day working

Cons

never really off duty

a very rewarding job

You get to assist and see the children learn and grow everyday. They are very precious which makes going to work every day a pleasure not a chore. The best job I ever had.

Pros

The chidren

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NSW Department of Education. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• NSW Department of Education
  • Work–Life Balance
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?