NSW Department of Justice
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

NSW Department of Justice Employee Reviews

Australia36 reviews
Workplace could be improved to be more satisfying for staff who work in at times a very difficult environment.
Challenging workplace, shift work can take it's toll on families and partners, limited opportunity for promotion as plenty of staff competing for limited roles.

During my career many good staff left and took other careers due to frustration with indecision's from some levels of management and the reluctance of management to balance the needs of staff to perform their roles.
CFO a tyrant
I left because the CFO placed an unqualified stooge in the Chief Procurement Officers role over the incumbent qualified candidate. Who then in turn placed his friends also unqualified into strategic procurement roles. Corrupt. Unethical
Pros
State Government pay rates are generous
Cons
Malfeasance and corrupt conduct. Nepotism
High performing individuals, eager to succeed
I worked with high performing individuals who were eager to succeed. A collaborative work environment with tight turnarounds and high volumes of work.
Culture Varies from One Area to Another
Culture at Department of Justice varies, depending on the area. In one area, people seem happy and work collaboratively. In another, people are stressed, some feel bullied and find it hard to get holidays approved.
I like being able to attend non-work related activities. I wish there is more focus on people welfare & upskilling, and really getting things right to protect & properly manage government funds.
Colleagues were collaborative and helpful
The project management team were peer experienced and well suited for a fast paced program of construction, the team shared experiences with problem solving on similar issues.
Most projects were similar in complexity and the procurement strategies were similar therefore there was a common theme throughout the program
Support from Management Lacking
As with most Government departments in my experience, you will find that management does not support career advancement at all. You must make your career your own, and if you ever want to progress in your career in Department of Justice, you will have to end some friendships and even step over your own manager to get there.
Close to home
Workplace culture is good, a typical day consists of a heavy workload to get through. I learned a lot in the Justice Department and even participated in tbe Public Speaking club which was run onsite during lunchbreaks. The hardest part of the job is getting through all the caseloads per day and coping with the demand. Mangement is good. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting some of the nicest people in the workplace and learning so much more of the Department in general
I have enjoyed working for the Dept of Justice, its a good department to work for. They can be flexible with work hours, just need to plan ahead that all. Everyone appears to be helpful and friendly.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at NSW Department of Justice?
Great bunch of people
Government jobs with great benefits.

Pros:

Leave,Schedule ,Paid Overtime, this job is what you make of it. It can be a career or just a Job.

Cons:

Sometimes management is not on the same page as front line staff
It was educational for me
As Youth worker I found that we were not organizing activities much which I believe would be beneficial to the offenders.

Loved my job as conference convenor
Interesting and Enjoyable work
The people at NSW Department of justice are a bunch of people you would want to work with for your career. I loved working here due to the work being interesting, no day was the same. Management was very good. I learnt a lot about myself working here.
Influential and productive working environment
I enjoyed my time with DJ as it is known as it provided the opportunity to engage internal and external stakeholders in enacting, implementing and analysing policies that impacted on people at the grassroot level.
Pros
Fun and ideal working culture
Cons
Contracted roles
Nice place to work
NSW Department of Justice was good place to work. The company provided life balanced work approach. The management was friendly and work was well organised.
Pros
Friendly work atmosphere
Cons
Procurement of hardware was very problematic
hard work, full on
It is what it is.
A Correctional Officer has a high risk position working with inmates.

The service can lack a bit of leadership and a lot is left to inexperienced Officers who, if they get it right will get no praise and if they get it wrong are chastised.

Re the Stores position, it is groundhog day per week. Every week is full on and repetitive. It is outdated and cumbersome with all suggestions to improve ignored by management.

It can have a good atmosphere with the communication between staff and inmates at times and we all work together as a team to get it all done.
Pros
weekends off re stores
Cons
old fashioned systems that are slow and cause problems
great place to work
Great place to work - Friendly staff and good benefits. The work is interesting, with a variety of issues dealt with every day. I would recommend working here.
Department has great work life balance
The current department I work in encourages me to use my advance technical skills to enhance reporting outcomes for the business.

Management are supportive

Workplace culture is diverse
Pros
appreciated for intelligence
Cons
no cons
Challenging Industry
What I have learned in this industry that every day is different. As the saying goes, the calm before the storm. It will be quiet for a few hours, then chaos the next.

I've learned that control and intimidation is toxic.

There's so much avenues that each individual can learn, if they just communicate, talk to each other and learn how to manage each situation. Managing this industry is one of the key points, communication, respect, working as a team instead of control, intimidation and not doing their job well.

The workplace is average and it takes a person/s to do this job. The culture is challenging but respect and communication is just one of the tools that I am good at.

Sometimes, we can't really get what we want due to budget cuts, but we just basically use what's available.

No communication, job satisfaction and support as a team and not as an individual.

Love some of the people that I used to work with, enjoyed my job immensely that helping others and knowingly that they will do their best to rehabilitate for their own self.
Pros
Good renumeration and days off
Cons
Volume of food that each person consumes, not enough health training for people.
Excellent job and rewarding
I was employed with this Department for 31yrs and gained the rank of Senior Assistant Superintendent and worked in 9centres and with male and female Inmates. As a Manager I responsible for the well-being of all staff on and off duty and also the well fair of the Inmates.
I am now looking to change careers and have a go at aDump Truck Driver.
Cultural Diversity and opportunity to Learn through collaboration
The place provides lots of opportunity to all people from different backgrounds to have their say. Things move slowly which could leave staff behind in fast changing IT field. It is easy work with people and move along. Fortunate to learn lot of new technologies during my time.
productive and challenging at times
Every day is different. I'm am passionate about making a difference in the lives on young people, especially our young Aboriginal youth.

Supporting the Aboriginal clients and their families, for the best possible outcome when they come known to the Justice system.
Great team environment- everyone works together to achieve the goals of each day
Temporary Contract
Challenging, busy & rewarding. Thank you for the opportunity to work with the team at Wyong

Every day something different

Many opportunities to develop personal skills

Ongoing training
Pros
Flex time
Cons
Temporary contract