NSW Department of Justice Employee Reviews

Influential and productive working environment
Associate Projects Officer (Former Employee) –  Parramatta Justice Precinct2 October 2018
I enjoyed my time with DJ as it is known as it provided the opportunity to engage internal and external stakeholders in enacting, implementing and analysing policies that impacted on people at the grassroot level.
Pros
Fun and ideal working culture
Cons
Contracted roles
Nice place to work
Senior Test Analyst/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Sydney Town Hall NSW25 September 2018
NSW Department of Justice was good place to work. The company provided life balanced work approach. The management was friendly and work was well organised.
Pros
Friendly work atmosphere
Cons
Procurement of hardware was very problematic
hard work, full on
Senior Stores Person/Acting Head of Stores (Former Employee) –  Risdon prison23 May 2018
It is what it is.
A Correctional Officer has a high risk position working with inmates.
The service can lack a bit of leadership and a lot is left to inexperienced Officers who, if they get it right will get no praise and if they get it wrong are chastised.
Re the Stores position, it is groundhog day per week. Every week is full on and repetitive. It is outdated and cumbersome with all suggestions to improve ignored by management.

It can have a good atmosphere with the communication between staff and inmates at times and we all work together as a team to get it all done.
Pros
weekends off re stores
Cons
old fashioned systems that are slow and cause problems
great place to work
Forum Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW10 April 2018
Great place to work - Friendly staff and good benefits. The work is interesting, with a variety of issues dealt with every day. I would recommend working here.
Department has great work life balance
Senior Project Officer Capability & Development (Current Employee) –  Perth WA21 February 2018
The current department I work in encourages me to use my advance technical skills to enhance reporting outcomes for the business.

Management are supportive
Workplace culture is diverse
Pros
appreciated for intelligence
Cons
no cons
Challenging Industry
Activities Officer (Former Employee) –  Western Australia5 February 2018
What I have learned in this industry that every day is different. As the saying goes, the calm before the storm. It will be quiet for a few hours, then chaos the next.

I've learned that control and intimidation is toxic.

There's so much avenues that each individual can learn, if they just communicate, talk to each other and learn how to manage each situation. Managing this industry is one of the key points, communication, respect, working as a team instead of control, intimidation and not doing their job well.

The workplace is average and it takes a person/s to do this job. The culture is challenging but respect and communication is just one of the tools that I am good at.

Sometimes, we can't really get what we want due to budget cuts, but we just basically use what's available.

No communication, job satisfaction and support as a team and not as an individual.

Love some of the people that I used to work with, enjoyed my job immensely that helping others and knowingly that they will do their best to rehabilitate for their own self.
Pros
Good renumeration and days off
Cons
Volume of food that each person consumes, not enough health training for people.
Excellent job and rewarding
Senior Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Grafton NSW27 January 2018
I was employed with this Department for 31yrs and gained the rank of Senior Assistant Superintendent and worked in 9centres and with male and female Inmates. As a Manager I responsible for the well-being of all staff on and off duty and also the well fair of the Inmates.
I am now looking to change careers and have a go at aDump Truck Driver.
Cultural Diversity and opportunity to Learn through collaboration
Infrastructure Capacity Manager (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW24 January 2018
The place provides lots of opportunity to all people from different backgrounds to have their say. Things move slowly which could leave staff behind in fast changing IT field. It is easy work with people and move along. Fortunate to learn lot of new technologies during my time.
productive and challenging at times
Aboriginal Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Perth WA5 December 2017
Every day is different. I'm am passionate about making a difference in the lives on young people, especially our young Aboriginal youth.

Supporting the Aboriginal clients and their families, for the best possible outcome when they come known to the Justice system.
Great team environment- everyone works together to achieve the goals of each day
Court Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wyong NSW19 October 2017
Temporary Contract
Challenging, busy & rewarding. Thank you for the opportunity to work with the team at Wyong
Every day something different
Many opportunities to develop personal skills
Ongoing training
Pros
Flex time
Cons
Temporary contract
productive and enjoyable
Client Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Walgett1 September 2017
it is an enjoyable place to work, to assist people attending court for the first time. The hardest part of the job is hearing people's history and the trauma they have experience
Pros
flexable working hours
Cons
sometimes shortage of staff - more work load
Laid back work enviroment
Audit & Compliance Officer/Admin (Current Employee) –  Parramatta NSW26 June 2017
Very relaxed environment
Self manage the workload on a daily basis
Very basic administration work
Great to have an hour lunch break, no change of progression or anything like that as this was purely a contract role that was for only 3 months
Pros
An hour lunch
Cons
Not much flexability with work life balance as a contractor
Fun
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bendigo VIC28 May 2017
Great place to work work.
I've learned so much by working at this place
A very good environment to be in everyone is that friendly at that workplace
Work Life
Court Monitor (Current Employee) –  Campbelltown NSW23 March 2017
I work once a week on a Friday and maybe a week during school holidays. Working in the Department has helped me a lot and has helped me progress in a lot of skills. Working in the Department can also be challenging and scary when having to see people from cells brought up they look very intimidating.
I love working with the department and would hope to stay but I'm also looking at other options.
Pros
Friendly Environment
Cons
Long Hours
Nothing to add
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Parramatta NSW12 March 2017
Reconcile scope and budget of original business case to current position
Develop the program work breakdown structure and associated revisrd estimates mapped to original business case
Design the program structure to deliver the program
Design the program governance model
Good work environment; Strong camaraderie
Sheriff's Officer (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW4 March 2017
Over all a good workplace. The colleagues were highly cooperative. The work environment was at times fast paced. The work required strong commitment to customer service and diligence. Overall good job satisfaction.
Great Team
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Devonport TAS5 January 2017
This role included assisting and supporting women and their children escaping domestic violence. The refuge provided professional supportive accommodation when it was unsafe to live at home. The role was vast as the requirements of the client. I negotiated, networked and liaised with housing departments, police, justice systems, schools, lawyers and doctors etc; as a case plan and management required. I facilitated House Meetings and provided counselling. This role was usually working independently on each shift after change over however management and other team players were highly supportive and professional to work with. One of the most rewarding aspects of this role was seeing the strengths and resilience grow of most of the women that entered the refuge and knowing that I had done all I could in their journey.
Pros
Helping people regain liberation
Cons
The revolving door
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Nsw silverwater16 September 2016
The job has given me a lot of life experiience and. I was with the department for almost 15 years. I enjoyed working there w hile I was there. The dept provided a lot of variety in the job. There is a lot of flexibility and allows quality time with the family.
Great place to work.
TIpstaff (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC23 May 2016
I work for a Judge at the County Court in Melbourne in the criminal jurisdiction. I make sure that all judges needs are seen to. I open the court on a daily basis, swear in juries etc.
Typical Government Department
Delivery of and/or Team lead (Former Employee) –  Carlton VIC25 February 2016
This was a typical government department, focused on keeping out of the media and doing their job.

Being a project management group meant they didn't really know how to conduct a software develpment program
Pros
close to good restaurants
Cons
draconian approach to work