NSW Government

36: NSW Government Employee Reviews

Australia36 reviews

4.1Work–Life Balance

Unnecessary Mirco management.

Having worked for a NSW Government agency before, prepare to deal with lots of micro management and report based assessments. They love their reports! Top heavy middle management too.

Pros

Flex time

Cons

See review

Very poor

Work environment in government service not conducive to the exercise of initiative and innovation. Rewards are provided to those who toe the metaphorical line and any one who refuses to accept that proposition is generally not well regarded by those who have the power to make decisions and policy. In short show signs of a desire to change the system and be creative and you will inevitably be left behind or relegated to the also rans when promotions are in the offing! Bitter yes, successful in my chosen career YES!!!

Pros

None I can think off

Cons

Expectation that you will work for nothing

Professional and efficient

Working with teams who where collaborators, intelligent and with respect for each other, from the top down and bottom up. Fun, exciting and all contributing to making a difference. Wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Pros

Excellent working environment. Flexible working. Social gatherings encouraged.

Cons

I don't work there anymore.

Casual Teaching

When I first graduated it was perfect to ease into teaching however cut 1 year of casual work and it became a little more stressful to find work and earn enough to support my self. I remember before I graduated we were told that we were coming to a “retirement period” where majority of current teachers are above 65 and are going to retire. It’s been almost 7 years since then and I still haven’t seen it happen. Which is why I left the country in search of a permanent teaching job.

Challenging, fast paced yet productive environment

I loved my job and being in charge of a team of about 24 people as being a team leader is what i do best. Would definitely go down this avenue and line of work again.

Ok

Demanding on call 24/7 type job Not recommended for everyone. Better if you know the person you are caring for than a stranger. Beware,but they're are social benefits included.

Complex organisation undergoing significant change

NSW government is a highly complex environment. There are a lot of layers to navigate. Being part of politics it is fast paced and changes frequently. This comes as a surprise to many people. The culture is very hierarchical although there are steps to reduce this. There's positive work life balance, more than just lip service.

Rewarding experience looking after children

Can be challenging with weather conditions and traffic. School administration and parents and children are often glad to see someone on duty at the crossing.

Poor executive leadership

No accountability and no ownership. Difficult to get anyone to make decisions. Senior executives had poor strategic management skills, and micro managed. Many decisions were put off until situations became critical. Poor relationships with other government divisions. Terrible financial management of the public purse. Low capability of staff , with no real succession planning or leadership training. Good staff trying to work under impossible conditions.

My job thoughts

I lived on the job site. the accommodation was good and kept in good condition. Basically, I worked for the Government for 16 years straight in a job that I liked and I was interested in. Generally, the people were good to work with, the working conditions were great. I had a disabled child and the support was just brilliant we were in Sydney every 6 months for a week the week was never a problem as I needed it I could also give 6 months notice when the appointments were. I was on call 24/7 365 days which is not a problem as that is normal for a family farm. the days were generally good at 38hrs with a 9 day fortnight. The job was my type as I enjoy going to work and just not knowing what I would be doing today even though I plan jobs 12 months in advance. It was a typical family farming job. All in all a great job. Good pay and allowances. Great people to work with.

Pros

Live on site

Cons

on call when you are on site

Fantastic inclusive innovative culture

Fantastic culture and a great collaborative environment. Lots of growth opportunities and great vibe. People are friendly and inclusive & innovative.

exciting and hard work

This job involved taking the worst teens that no one can deal with and implement all my interactive and youth intervention skills to bring about change in the lives of theese teens so that they can be intergrated back into society

Pros

Great satisfaction of seeing lives changed

Cons

hard work

Good to work for management are very approachable

I enjoyed my time with this company at no time did I feel threatened or alone . Wages were always on time and correct if not the problem was promptly dealt with .

Pros

N/a

Cons

N/a

If you are lazy, then this is the place to be

Very laid back, everyday you ll spend hours in meetings. Nothing useful gets done fast. Poor management. Horrible culture with most of the employees from the older generation. If you try to get attention, you cant rise without politics cause people will always try to take you down. Everyone is trying to backstab each other.

Pros

Good Work Life Balance, Good office

Cons

Poor management, poor culture, poor colleagues, average salary

fun place, work hard play hard

huge beast of a hotel with a demanding fast pace of life. But rewarding fun role in a hotel with lots of character and working with lots of Charters..

Great place to work. Unfortunately with the NDIS my department was taken over by the private sector. Other wise i would still be working at the employer.

Excellent Leader - His courage and tenacity inspires those around him

He provides an excellent workplace for people to thrive, providing employees with enough rope to build a ladder to further success and enough to hang themselves the choice is theirs. His conviction and steadfast work ethic inspire those around him to aspire to higher things and I am forever grateful for the opportunity and lessons I learned during this time. An excellent employer.

Productive and fun workplace

Is a great real estate to work in, the principal has a lot of time for training and teaching you. Great team culture to work with. This company has a lot of structure.

No work life balance

This was my first Govt Sector job, hence the work culture is different than corporate world. I learnt SAP extensively and how the HR PAYROLL System works as this project is the biggest Payroll system in Southern hemisphere. I also learnt how to test the Payroll system in production be performing the Penny test. Learnt the business processes and Testing Processes in Government department. How to handle difficult stake holders.

Pros

Learnt new techonology

Cons

Extremely long hours

Stunning waterfront locations

Good place to work with good benefits however bureaucracy can be at times frustrating. Resistance to change can be challenging as many employees have been in the job long term.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Time away from family

Government department

I worked on a 3 month contract to develop online Help for the department's intranet. The intranet was used as a knowledge base for the call-centre staff dealing with the public. I mostly worked at home because security and system access was not granted and set up until the contract was nearly finished. The staff were very nice and helpful. The atmosphere at work was relaxed.

Pros

Freedom to develop the content as we saw fit.

Cons

No system or security access for most of the contract period.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at NSW Government. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• NSW Government