NSW Government
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from NSW Government:

NSW Government Employee Reviews

Australia37 reviews
When I first graduated it was perfect to ease into teaching however cut 1 year of casual work and it became a little more stressful to find work and earn enough to support my self. I remember before I graduated we were told that we were coming to a “retirement period” where majority of current teachers are above 65 and are going to retire. It’s been almost 7 years since then and I still haven’t seen it happen. Which is why I left the country in search of a permanent teaching job.
I loved my job and being in charge of a team of about 24 people as being a team leader is what i do best. Would definitely go down this avenue and line of work again.
Demanding on call 24/7 type job
Not recommended for everyone.

Better if you know the person you are caring for than a stranger.

Beware,but they're are social benefits included.
NSW government is a highly complex environment. There are a lot of layers to navigate. Being part of politics it is fast paced and changes frequently. This comes as a surprise to many people. The culture is very hierarchical although there are steps to reduce this. There's positive work life balance, more than just lip service.
Can be challenging with weather conditions and traffic. School administration and parents and children are often glad to see someone on duty at the crossing.
No accountability and no ownership. Difficult to get anyone to make decisions. Senior executives had poor strategic management skills, and micro managed. Many decisions were put off until situations became critical. Poor relationships with other government divisions. Terrible financial management of the public purse. Low capability of staff , with no real succession planning or leadership training. Good staff trying to work under impossible conditions.
I lived on the job site. the accommodation was good and kept in good condition.
Basically, I worked for the Government for 16 years straight in a job that I liked and I was interested in.

Generally, the people were good to work with, the working conditions were great. I had a disabled child and the support was just brilliant we were in Sydney every 6 months for a week the week was never a problem as I needed it I could also give 6 months notice when the appointments were.

I was on call 24/7 365 days which is not a problem as that is normal for a family farm. the days were generally good at 38hrs with a 9 day fortnight.

The job was my type as I enjoy going to work and just not knowing what I would be doing today even though I plan jobs 12 months in advance. It was a typical family farming job.

All in all a great job.

Good pay and allowances.

Great people to work with.
Pros
Live on site
Cons
on call when you are on site
Fantastic culture and a great collaborative environment. Lots of growth opportunities and great vibe. People are friendly and inclusive & innovative.
This job involved taking the worst teens that no one can deal with and implement all my interactive and youth intervention skills to bring about change in the lives of theese teens so that they can be intergrated back into society
Pros
Great satisfaction of seeing lives changed
Cons
hard work
I enjoyed my time with this company at no time did I feel threatened or alone . Wages were always on time and correct if not the problem was promptly dealt with .
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Very laid back, everyday you ll spend hours in meetings. Nothing useful gets done fast. Poor management. Horrible culture with most of the employees from the older generation. If you try to get attention, you cant rise without politics cause people will always try to take you down. Everyone is trying to backstab each other.
Pros
Good Work Life Balance, Good office
Cons
Poor management, poor culture, poor colleagues, average salary
huge beast of a hotel with a demanding fast pace of life. But rewarding fun role in a hotel with lots of character and working with lots of Charters..
The business senior Management is in general proactive to work from home policies. This is also supported by the correct technology in place. Long hours but in general good policy to compensate.
Great place to work.

Unfortunately with the NDIS my department was taken over by the private sector.

Other wise i would still be working at the employer.
He provides an excellent workplace for people to thrive, providing employees with enough rope to build a ladder to further success and enough to hang themselves the choice is theirs.

His conviction and steadfast work ethic inspire those around him to aspire to higher things and I am forever grateful for the opportunity and lessons I learned during this time.

An excellent employer.
Is a great real estate to work in, the principal has a lot of time for training and teaching you. Great team culture to work with. This company has a lot of structure.
NSW Treasury Corporation is a small department of about 60 people. it is a good place to work for if you are happy to stay in your position because there is not much rooms for advancement.
Pros
friendly team
Cons
can be long hours and not very flexible
This was my first Govt Sector job, hence the work culture is different than corporate world.

I learnt SAP extensively and how the HR PAYROLL System works as this project is the biggest Payroll system in Southern hemisphere.

I also learnt how to test the Payroll system in production be performing the Penny test.

Learnt the business processes and Testing Processes in Government department.

How to handle difficult stake holders.
Pros
Learnt new techonology
Cons
Extremely long hours
Good place to work with good benefits however bureaucracy can be at times frustrating. Resistance to change can be challenging as many employees have been in the job long term.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Time away from family
Highly professional public sector workplace with a focus on providing outstanding advice and support to the government of the day. Internal focus on continuous improvement and talent development, including leadership. Provides opportunities to learn about all aspects of state government activities and services.
I worked on a 3 month contract to develop online Help for the department's intranet. The intranet was used as a knowledge base for the call-centre staff dealing with the public.

I mostly worked at home because security and system access was not granted and set up until the contract was nearly finished.

The staff were very nice and helpful. The atmosphere at work was relaxed.
Pros
Freedom to develop the content as we saw fit.
Cons
No system or security access for most of the contract period.